What is the going rate for slicks?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What is the going rate for slicks?

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:40 pm

what is the going rate for slicks? I posted an offer to buy at melt but got no bites. are slick 90% coins going above melt?
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Re: What is the going rate for slicks?

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:43 pm

I don't have any slicks... :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Verbane » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:10 pm

I sold a lot of slicks by weight about 3-4 weeks ago. I got 103% of melt + shipping. The lot sold almost immediatly, I know they would have sold higher...
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:29 pm

>100?!!!
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:27 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:>100?!!!

yes... of course, over 100%. the online dealer's pay you face value for the coins, not melt by weight. Barbers are as much as 12 - 14% "underweight, early Walkers can be 9 - 11 % under... yet they are purchased all the time in large pure lots of similar coins, or mixed in with others at a going rate of two or three percent above melt values for full wt coins.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:35 pm

ray, thanks for the explantion. however, dealers are only paying 3-4% over melt for regular 90%; buying underweight junk at full weight prices makes no sense to me.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:14 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:ray, thanks for the explantion. however, dealers are only paying 3-4% over melt for regular 90%; buying underweight junk at full weight prices makes no sense to me.

you're right, of course. But that's where the numies could be. I don't like to offer sub-715 coins to fellow members, so that pretty much everything pre-1920 (Walkers, Mercs, lots of Barbers, Standing Libs) gets sold back to my online sources. As I have been a good customer of theirs in the past (and in all likelihood, they sold me these coins to begin with) they show no hesitancy in purchasing back the coins I don't wish to take the time to date check because they are "slicks." They even profit by my Greshamistic tendencies... as they do not have to employ their own labor force to assemble early dated solid rolls of Mercs or Walkers :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals