Bullion Testing....

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bullion Testing....

Postby Copper Catcher » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:58 pm

I’m wondering out loud….is there a opportunity to make money at all the coin shows testing the bullion people have to make sure they have the real deal. Maybe charge a flat fee of $25 per person to test their stuff i.e. using a Portable XRF Analyzers - I read somewhere that XRF guns can be rented for $2000/month? Ouch!!!

The downside beyond the high rental fee… X-Ray Fluorescence - This is a simple surface test, and unfortunately can only analyze the surface and immediate sub-surface of the bullion product. In a situation where tungsten alloy has been hidden in the core of a bullion product, it is unlikely that this technique would successfully identify it.

I have no idea if it would detect all the fake bullion China is producing now???? Is there any other non distructive way to check for fakes that is accurate?
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Bullion Testing....

Postby Copper Catcher » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Maybe this is a job for.............. A D A M Y O U N G S ! :D
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby daviscfad » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:24 pm

Guy charged me 5 buck to test something with the XRF gun in baltimore
Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!

Old Feedback Thread
daviscfad
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Normal charge is $5 per item. You could set up a bulk discount flat fee though. I also think you would be money ahead buying it vrs renting. Not sure how popular it would be, but i bet you could get a following at the shows.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Treetop » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:03 am

This might be a good time to buy one of these. I imagine the market is pretty small, and will potentially grow as more sources want to root out fakes or atleast be able to say they did so prices of the machines is potentially going to go up.

I think having a bulk rate is a good idea, but Im not sure I would make it a flat rate or you might have someone show up who wants you to test a 1000$ face bag coin by coin for 20 bucks.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:14 am

Treetop wrote:This might be a good time to buy one of these. I imagine the market is pretty small, and will potentially grow as more sources want to root out fakes or atleast be able to say they did so prices of the machines is potentially going to go up.

Before investing the money in an XRF scanner, it wouldn't hurt to check the patent expiration dates. Prices could drop pretty far once competition is allowed to enter the market.

Beware of imitation golf supplies too.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324557804578374662587136692.html
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals