999 vs 90%

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

999 vs 90%

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:36 pm

i am a fan of 90% but i was just paid 6 cents an ounce to swap WL halves (well worn) for Canadian Maple leafs.

Could have gotten generic .999 and been paid a buck an ounce to do so.

is anyone else doing something similar?

i have gotten rid of all of my underweight junk, and am contemplating trading out even my full-weight 90% now.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Re: 999 vs 90%

Postby barrytrot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:22 pm

I would do both of those trades in a heart beat!
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thedrifter » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:06 pm

Where did you get this deal? Sign me up.
thedrifter
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:00 pm

Tulving
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:Tulving

do they expect you to surpass a certain threshold in face value on the swap? Any minimum? Not sure they're someone I would trust to come thru on their end... in timely fashion. :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:54 am

they have buy and sell minimums.

they are slower on swaps.

they are the soup nazis of coin dealers, but have the tightest spreads. have never had an issue with them other than slow deliver times, 1-2 months on trades. ymmv.

i am really posting as to get others' thoughts on the wisdom of shifting from high premium 90% to either silver maples or generic .999. They have generic 1-ounce rounds for 59 cents over, so you get paid to swap 90% for .999!
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:50 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:i am really posting as to get others' thoughts on the wisdom of shifting from high premium 90% to either silver maples or generic .999. They have generic 1-ounce rounds for 59 cents over, so you get paid to swap 90% for .999!

They aren't making 90% anymore... so for those willing to pay the premium to secure it, it will be available... at a price. The premium will only increase with its escalating scarcity. .999 on the other hand, is the wave of the future, and is ready for fabrication pending sourcability of physical. That said... anytime you can increase your ounces... that should be a good thing, right? :thumbup:
beauanderos

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:14 pm

i'm skeptical that 90% premia will remain this high. soon, it will be equal to ASE's. I don't see folks paying more for 90% than for ASE's.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:23 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:i'm skeptical that 90% premia will remain this high. soon, it will be equal to ASE's. I don't see folks paying more for 90% than for ASE's.

you're assuming that 90% will always be plentiful. It is an ever-shrinking pool of physical as it moves from weak to stronger hands... and as cull-grade material is smelted. In any event, sounds like your trade was to your benefit. :thumbup:
beauanderos

Postby Treetop » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:31 pm

I think the maples are by far the better deal. Premiums on .999+ are definitely more secure imo. Looking at longer term trends the premiums of various types swing over time, and I get that they dont make more 90% (well proofs actually they do but not a ton) but even if premiums remain high on 90% I doubt the more common stuff will ever beat the premiums of .999 and there are times like during big melts I understand you get much less for anything not pure.

I like my dimes though. Im not even sure why, but a big bag of dimes is so neat to me. I actually got a loan from an RC member awhile back wher eI sent silver as collateral and he rolled up all the dimes I had sent. Which to him was a good thing, I just emptied them back into their bag when I got them back. I feel like a pirate or something holding a bag of dimes. Other coins I dont have that attraction to for some reason. Silly as heck I know but I would keep some dimes atleast myself.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:58 pm

Treetop wrote:I think the maples are by far the better deal. Premiums on .999+ are definitely more secure imo. Looking at longer term trends the premiums of various types swing over time, and I get that they dont make more 90% (well proofs actually they do but not a ton) but even if premiums remain high on 90% I doubt the more common stuff will ever beat the premiums of .999 and there are times like during big melts I understand you get much less for anything not pure.

I like my dimes though. Im not even sure why, but a big bag of dimes is so neat to me. I actually got a loan from an RC member awhile back wher eI sent silver as collateral and he rolled up all the dimes I had sent. Which to him was a good thing, I just emptied them back into their bag when I got them back. I feel like a pirate or something holding a bag of dimes. Other coins I dont have that attraction to for some reason. Silly as heck I know but I would keep some dimes atleast myself.

I like my silver in little denominations too! Sadly, my little "dime bag" is only a small bag of pirate booty at this time. :(

It's ok though, the biggest things always start out small, don't they? I would like a large sack of quarters! :thumbup:

Love the .999 stuff too! :) Silver of any kind/quantity is ALWAYS good.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby racandjjc » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:39 am

Treetop wrote:I think the maples are by far the better deal. Premiums on .999+ are definitely more secure imo. Looking at longer term trends the premiums of various types swing over time, and I get that they dont make more 90% (well proofs actually they do but not a ton) but even if premiums remain high on 90% I doubt the more common stuff will ever beat the premiums of .999 and there are times like during big melts I understand you get much less for anything not pure.

That made my day...... makes me feel like a pirate!! Now my wife is mad cause i keep saying argggg!!!
racandjjc

Postby dannan14 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:25 am

racandjjc wrote:That made my day...... makes me feel like a pirate!! Now my wife is mad cause i keep saying argggg!!!

If you use Facebook you can set your language to Pirate English and everything that isn't a post/comment/etc. will be translated into Pirate. :P
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby fathead » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:50 am

90% never gets the same premiums as maples or eagles. i say that's a good trade.
fathead

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:57 pm

buy prices are starting to go down.

didn't sell as much as i wanted but i did get rid of all of my underweight junk, and GOT PAID A PREMIUM TO DO SO!
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SilverEye » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:50 pm

I went the other way and traded my rounds for 90%. I want fewer different things to keep track of, and I had a bunch of random rounds and bars that didn't stack right. I'm hoarding 90%, Morgans, and ASE's. Some Canadian silver dollars and world gov't issue troy ounces when I get a good deal.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby KCBob31.1 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:23 pm

dannan14 wrote:
racandjjc wrote:That made my day...... makes me feel like a pirate!! Now my wife is mad cause i keep saying argggg!!!

If you use Facebook you can set your language to Pirate English and everything that isn't a post/comment/etc. will be translated into Pirate. :P

We always got free food at LJS on Talk Like A Pirate Day.
KCBob31.1

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:40 pm

Its a good trade for a stacker but keep in mind the logic of the big silver melt book - quite a lot of 90% was already melted in the 1970s and 1980s, plus natural attrition, coins used in jewelry, coins lost in disasters, plus culls and slicks being melted now..... Its a recipe for numi premium on good quality 90% US coins in the future, even "common" dates. This is not the present reality, but I think it could be in the not too distant future. Silver as a commodity probably has more near-term upside though.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby silvor » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:29 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:i am a fan of 90% but i was just paid 6 cents an ounce to swap WL halves (well worn) for Canadian Maple leafs.

Could have gotten generic .999 and been paid a buck an ounce to do so.

is anyone else doing something similar?

i have gotten rid of all of my underweight junk, and am contemplating trading out even my full-weight 90% now.

Great trade!
silvor

Postby nabzy28 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:08 pm

If you're gaining in oz. it's the right way to go. I also really like 90% but you can tell others are really starting to chase it too. Just within the last 8 months I've gone from being able to pick it up for melt, or just over. Now, almost everywhere it's around $1.50 to $2 over melt for Washington/Roosevelt stuff. I can't even bother with hitting up a LCS anymore. Last quote on 90% "junk" was $5 over melt! :shock:
nabzy28

Postby KCBob31.1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:51 pm

nabzy28 wrote:If you're gaining in oz. it's the right way to go. I also really like 90% but you can tell others are really starting to chase it too. Just within the last 8 months I've gone from being able to pick it up for melt, or just over. Now, almost everywhere it's around $1.50 to $2 over melt for Washington/Roosevelt stuff. I can't even bother with hitting up a LCS anymore. Last quote on 90% "junk" was $5 over melt! :shock:

When I went down to Tulsa for a concert I stopped in a few stores in Tulsa and Joplin, Mo. There were a couple stores selling rounds for 35$ and 90% for 30$! One place charging 30$ was buying for 15$. I like 90% too but I can get generic for a good price as well as ASE so why not.
KCBob31.1

Postby SilverEye » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:12 pm

I run across pawn shops with Peace and Morgans marked $50. They won't deal because they told me they sell them all day long at that price. :shock:
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rosco » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:37 pm

SilverEye wrote:I run across pawn shops with Peace and Morgans marked $50. They won't deal because they told me they sell them all day long at that price. :shock:

Maybe they sell but I think they got caught short an are trying to recover.
My LCS is 8 cents per oz less on 999 vs 90%. Yes the Morgans are $29 or so, Peace not much cheaper. ASE is 2.50 to $3.00 over depending on volume.
I ended up with 10 bullion rounds That's it for this Quarter :o
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:09 am

beauanderos wrote:They aren't making 90% anymore...
Sure they are Ray! I thought you knew that. It's really shiny and you wouldn't want to pay the premiums they charge. Of course it is perfectly fine if you buy it on the secondary market. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:28 pm

HoardCopperByTheTon wrote:
beauanderos wrote:They aren't making 90% anymore...
Sure they are Ray! I thought you knew that. It's really shiny and you wouldn't want to pay the premiums they charge. Of course it is perfectly fine if you buy it on the secondary market. :mrgreen:

China is also making a lot of new 90%.

There are a lot of folks that confuse bullion with numi. First, i don't think the premiums went up because the market suddenly realized the u.s. is not making any more 90%. I think it is more likley that some financial adviser told folks to buy it becuase it was cheap, until it wasn't. I'm not at all surprised to see the premium come down.

I know all about the big melt but i think the real opportunities will be in the better graded stuff, not the junk. personally i would rather have more ounces than numi.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals