I think Westminster premiums just jumped a buck

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I think Westminster premiums just jumped a buck

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:40 am

Went to Westminster Mint site just now. They are now charging $2 over spot for their generic rounds and bars vs. a $1. This just happened this am. Last night, it was just a dollar premium. Hmmm, wonder what is going on.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: I think Westminster premiums just jumped a buck

Postby dakota1955 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:20 am

the price of silver is going lower so the premium is sometime raised to help their profits and one one is selling at the lower price so the cost to restock also then goes up.
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JerrySpringer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:31 am

dakota1955 wrote:the price of silver is going lower so the premium is sometime raised to help their profits and one one is selling at the lower price so the cost to restock also then goes up.

Well, they can stabilize their spread as spot goes lower. I vote by going to Silvertowne and buying a 1 ounce bar for $31.10 which includes shipping. I wait out the silver prices going lower. Meanwhile, Westminster loses my sale. If silver goes below $20, I'll look even harder for a low-premium well-reputed dealer. The dealers are taking the chances now and I can understand they have to raise premiums but they are the ones that ultimately have to keep swimming to stay in cash flow. The stackers have a different time frame that gives them different needs.

One of the things that I am doing is shifting out of silver or decreasing my allotment of it and stocking up on copper. We are being given a semi-free lunch with copper pennies. I am actually viewing silver as a hedge for copper now. Silver prices go down, I can add a bit here and there of it. Silver prices go up, you sell and take proceeds and buy copper.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:05 pm

Hmmm, now the premium is about a $1.40 over spot. Wonder why the premium changed so fast.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:03 am

Westminster went back to a $1 premium. Nice. Silvertowne is not budging on their free shipping 1 oz. bar special though. They are keeping the price static even though spot dropped. Not a big deal, maybe they will just rescind the free shipping special if spot drops a lot more.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby dakota1955 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:48 am

Silvertowne has the one ounce bar now 30.70 still with free shipping. down 40 cent from Friday.
dakota1955

Postby dakota1955 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:32 pm

today close is $30.00 per ounce at silvertowne
dakota1955

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals