a lady tried to screw me yesterday.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

a lady tried to screw me yesterday.

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:05 am

Yesterday, i had just hopped out of the shower.....well not "hopped", and a knock comes at the door, which is rare.

if you live on a dirt road,and your township's population is 152 souls, a knock on the door is a rare thing, so i look thru the blind...and oh my, 5 foot two and eyes a blue, kind of unfocused...and needy. Dressed in denim's she was, and had that look, so when i opened the door..........i woke up.

ahhhhh ha..... i did have a lady ALMOST try and "screw" me yesterday...i just wanted to mess with you all a bit. (if that REALLY did happen?...a lone lass knocking on the door, my first thought, out here?....she's bait...for a pair of country pill popping junkies, laying up on either side of the door, which wouldnt end well for those boys....promise you that)

This is an Ebay story

anyway, about 3 weeks ago, i saw a nice roll of 74-S Ike Proofs...or as she put it Ike "Sliver" (sic) Proofs.

okay, i'm always up for Ike Proofs in the roll, she had a 100% pos, 700 plus trans, i put in a bid of 232.75, which stood until i got sniped, i THINK he or she sniped at 252...i think. No big deal. i let it go.

Yesterday i get, what i never seen before, a "second chance" private "buy it now" offer at........232.75!!! from this lady named "Fran"..first i'll link you to the listing...the "2nd chance buy it now"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roll-1974-Eisen ... t_24wt_992

so naturally the odd cold ice water starts rolling thru my veins,when i trade, and i write this person this:

Hi ya, two quick questions....what happened with the previous sale? and whats the weight on each coin? thanks in advance. neil

so here's what i get in response:

The buyer decided he’d rather return the coins than keep them. I’m not sure of the weight (since they’re not bullion) but looking at EzineArticles.com/1073387 it says they’re 38.1mm diameter and weigh 24.59 grams.

They look nice – are you interested?

Fran

FIRST, lets laugh together....ahahahhahahahhahahhahahhah.....oh man, this is precious, "The buyer decided he’d rather return the coins than keep them".

well golly whiz, why would THAT be?....and then to say, I’m not sure of the weight (since they’re not bullion)

uh huh.

"not sure of the weight"....betcha the previous buyer was, thats why that ole boy sent them BACK!!....heres the deal guys, and why i wanted to share, in 1973 and 74, by reasons only known to them, the butt worshipers at the San Fransisco mint decided to mint both a cupro-nickle CLAD Proof Ike Dollar AND a 40$ Silver Ike Dollar.;.......the "tell", the difference is the weight, 22.6 gms for the CLAD and 24.6 gms for the 40% Silver Ike.

or as Fran sez:They look nice – are you interested?

i wrote back, "respectfully i pass".

something's not right, so i look at her "store".....and lokee what i find with a .99 opening bid....but this time, check out the description.....this was all discovered by me within three minutes.....coz i told her all about the 73-74 dual CN and 40% Ag mintage in the Ikes, in my "respectfully pass" letter, because i gave her the benefit of the doubt...who knows?...maybe she got jammed up by somebody, that told her they were "sliver", and now she's just trying to wiggle out....but look at the this listing, same roll,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111045964541?ss ... t_24wt_992

and she's got a "reserve" on it, otherwise i'd ask,why dont some of ya mess with her, flip in a $21 bid.. PCGS quotes the Clad proof 74-s 's at $7 a coin, but who would pay $140 the roll for a coin that's got a metal value between 19 and 20 cent?....of course it is a "dollar".

i did write her a harsh rebuke back, which i'm not proud of...didnt threaten, or cuss....and i did report her, which wont mattter.

Was kind of slimy of her though, wouldnt you say?.....to see if she could find out if the second highest bidder was an idjit.

Got to know what you're doing...and NOW we got them Chinese in there, making things worse, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: a lady tried to screw me yesterday.

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:22 am

To be honest Neil, I think she was just ignorant to what she had. But too stubborn or incompetent to do a little homework even AFTER you tried to set her straight. I had the same exact thing happen last week on Craigslist. A guy contacted me wanting to sell 21 Bicentenial Ikes. I gave him a pretty low offer to start the negotiations..and he was ecstatic!! Well if he was happy I was happy :). right before we set up a time to meet, I asked him to weigh them to be sure. And he was very quick to say, "oh I have already weighed them and know they are about 22g each...... :( :( I then tried to tell him the difference and blah blah blah, he then stated that they are still worth $5-10 a piece, and at that point I knew my efforts were in vain. But again I think it really is ignorance, and a refusal to believe they aren't what they say they aren't.

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby agmoose » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:40 am

Good thing you hesitated.

I do love buying sliver coins on the bay. I used to get much better deals, say 3-4 yrs ago........
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby PMLurker » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:42 am

CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:To be honest Neil, I think she was just ignorant to what she had.

Sounds like Bait and Switch to me or at least send out clad and hope nobody notices. Sure, she may had spelled it "sliver" in the title, but under "Item Specifics" I see "Composition: Silver".
PMLurker
Penny Sorter Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:04 pm

CLINT-THE-GREAT wrote:To be honest Neil, I think she was just ignorant to what she had. But too stubborn or incompetent to do a little homework even AFTER you tried to set her straight. I had the same exact thing happen last week on Craigslist. A guy contacted me wanting to sell 21 Bicentenial Ikes. I gave him a pretty low offer to start the negotiations..and he was ecstatic!! Well if he was happy I was happy :). right before we set up a time to meet, I asked him to weigh them to be sure. And he was very quick to say, "oh I have already weighed them and know they are about 22g each...... :( :( I then tried to tell him the difference and blah blah blah, he then stated that they are still worth $5-10 a piece, and at that point I knew my efforts were in vain. But again I think it really is ignorance, and a refusal to believe they aren't what they say they aren't.

-The Great

yeh, you're probably right........but my first NON military job, on the trading floor was for a hedger of meats, and this man, thru example, made me a NUT about precision in trading and business...to me, there is no room for ERROR in trade practice and business. Thats why i dont trade here....not coz there's "error" here, there are friends here, and trading with friends would cloud my business head. With friends, i'm nice, like to laugh. Trading, i dont laugh, i dont care if i'm "nice",my only care is the trade done RIGHT?.

More friendship have ended, over friends doing business and screwing up.....thats just me. Friends you GIVE things to, either love laughter or gifts, Trade and business? Its a cold emotionless transaction, no passion, passion clouds business judgement, or as the great Gordon Gecko said, "Nothing ruins my day more than losses".

thats why in hundreds and hundreds of PM transactions, i have not had one single problem.

sorry for the lecture....lol, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:36 pm

Thats an interesting take neil. I prefer trading with friends myself. I did loose a friend this way before but that just told me the person wasnt actually a friend.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Jaredmac11 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:01 pm

Regardless if they were real or not, never under any circumstance buy anything outside of eBaylike this. Best way to get burned
Jaredmac11

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals