First Dimes!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

First Dimes!

Postby dannan14 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:25 pm

So, for the past few months i've been sorting equal amounts of pennies, nickels, and dimes. This was partially in hopes of finding some silver but mostly to keep my savings outside of my credit union. The pennies are no different than they have been since i started sorting a little over a year ago about 20-25% copper. The nickels are great because of the chance of silver and buffalos as well as plenty of pre-60s Jeffersons. The dimes i assumed i would get skunked every time. Today was a little different. As i opened one roll, carefully pulling the paper off to allow the dimes to stand in a column, i noticed two white edges next to each other. i tried not to get my hopes up and was expecting to find clad coins someone had fiendishly painted. However, my luck was better than that.

Both AU just sitting in the middle of clad. Searching dimes just got a whole lot more fun!
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Re: First Dimes!

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:33 am

The thrill of victory is always better than the agony of defeat. Congrats.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rastatodd » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:54 am

Those 1959 dimes are in remarkable shape. It's like finding....what is a dime at, $1.94. So $3.88. I got to get into roll sorting. :D
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:44 am

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your finds. Persistence pays off. Keep it up and you should find more. Don't overlook Canadian silver dimes.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby agmoose » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:50 am

Congrats! I've yet to get two in a roll. My best is 4 in a box, but plenty of skunks too. Enjoy the hunt!
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:55 am

Nice... dimes were consistently good for me until I switched to 2 boxes a week and abandoned halves. I used to get like 2 per box, now I get 1 per 2 boxes. Bah. Oh well, every little bit counts...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cent1225 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:35 am

A Ha. The thrill of the hunt has captured you inner being.

You are now destined to not be able to pass a bank without thinking, "Should I stop and buy a box of dimes?"

Then the devilish "black hands" syndrome will overtake you when you get home looking for that tiny piece of silver.

Welcome to the fraternity of the "forever optimistic and mostly disappointed".

Good luck and enjoy this crazy hobby.
Cent1225
Penny Collector Member

Postby dannan14 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies and encouragement...but it seems that several of you think i just started sorting...maybe i didn't write the OP well. i just started dimes and nickels in the last couple months, but searching pennies and half dollars began over a year ago for me. In other words, i was hooked long before i bought my first roll of dimes :P
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals