When to use the dry powder?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: When to use the dry powder?

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:41 pm

Well, I used some powder today at a local coin show! I ended up with a good deal on a '96 ASE, and some 90% '64 dimes and quarters! :thumbup:

Time to reload! When do I get more powder, again? :lol:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: When to use the dry powder?

Postby rexmerdinus » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:26 am

68Camaro wrote:Fully agree Mike. The signs are there in the background if you can tune out the noise. ASE sales are at record highs and the three North American mints are churning out government issued bullion coin at rates greater than those countries can mine the metal, so the difference is ALL essentially being imported from elsewhere.

There is supply source from scrap, recycle and recovery of old worn circulating coin, but then there is also the private mints churning out rounds and bars.

FWIW, I read somewhere (probably here!) that the mints only use newly mined stock, not recovered scrap. Not sure how you'd tell, once it's in ingots, but there ya go.

Also, on the subject of 401k's, mine is the Thrift Savings Plan for federal employees. It allows you to have two loans against it at any one time, one for residential use (15 year payback), and one for general purpose (5 year payback). You can borrow up the amount that you have actually contributed (no matching funds or money from growth).
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals