best way to clean junk

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

best way to clean junk

Postby kwebb70 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:47 pm

What's the best method for cleaning junk silver?
kwebb70
Penny Pincher Member

Re: best way to clean junk

Postby Country » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:33 pm

I wouldn't clean them... Would you buy rolls of junk on RealCent if the seller said the coins were freshly cleaned? :thumbdown:
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby dakota1955 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:43 pm

if you don't like dirty junk silver just sell it here and then buy clean junk silver
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:58 pm

Country wrote:I wouldn't clean them... Would you buy rolls of junk on RealCent if the seller said the coins were freshly cleaned? :thumbdown:

Absolutely. If they are common date, bullion coin - especially 64s of anything, I could care less whether they are cleaned - at least if they've been done with respectable care and not with a wire brush or some such nonsense. For these types of coin I go by weight, not level of tarnish, and bright coin presents better.

To be concerned about cleaning bullion coin is IMHO ridculous. Just my opinion, but one I feel strongly about. Anyone that has cleaned coin they can't sell elsewhere to someone that is "picky", feel free to PM me. It'll save me the effort.

That said, I don't clean coin older than 64. If it did it would be by exception. At this point I've only cleaned 64, or newer 40% that isn't a key date.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:06 pm

kwebb70 wrote:What's the best method for cleaning junk silver?

For bullion non-numi stuff only

I use the electrolytic method for 64 90%, and now normally tarn-x for later 40% which tends to be more heavily tarnished. Having this done once in their life won't hurt them.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby John Reich » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:27 pm

i had some heavily tarnished Mercury dimes and I used the hot water/aluminum foil/salt-baking soda method to clean them. The cleaning took the black tarnish off, but left the coins with a weird, "glossy" appearance. They looked like shellac had been applied to them. Has anyone else experienced this? These weren't numismatic coins--just some "junk" I wanted to experiment with.
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:32 pm

John Reich wrote:i had some heavily tarnished Mercury dimes and I used the hot water/aluminum foil/salt-baking soda method to clean them. The cleaning took the black tarnish off, but left the coins with a weird, "glossy" appearance. They looked like shellac had been applied to them. Has anyone else experienced this? These weren't numismatic coins--just some "junk" I wanted to experiment with.

It's normal for the worn areas to come out looking polished.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby tedandcam » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:40 pm

68Camaro wrote:
Country wrote: At this point I've only cleaned 64, or newer 40% that isn't a key date.

What 40% key dates are there? I wasn't aware of any key date 40%. :shock:

Edit: somehow it looks like Country made this statement. But, it was 68Camaro that did. :oops:
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:46 pm

70 is the key date.
68Camaro

Postby amalekidad » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:54 pm

The best way to clean junk is to send it to Scrap Man. They come back real shinny and purdy!
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals