Guess it's time to Empty my Safe Deposit Box

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Guess it's time to Empty my Safe Deposit Box

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:29 am

Debunking the DHS Memo About Safety Deposit Boxes: They Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Memo

Read more at http://americanlivewire.com/debunking-t ... bQyDiiO.99
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Copper Catcher » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:33 am

What Happens To A Safe-Deposit Box On The Renter's Death?

In most states, boxes are sealed upon death and cannot be opened until an official representative can be present - a process that generally takes at least several weeks. Other states allow boxes to be opened without the presence of a representative only to find a will. Some states allow unrestricted access. A bank official or your lawyer can tell you the law in your state.

If you don't want your safe-deposit box to be sealed upon your death, consider using an entity such as a corporation to rent the box. Generally, safe-deposit boxes registered in a corporate name are not sealed upon the death of a principal.

http://www.survivorshipatoz.org/hiv/top ... s/?sid=233
Copper Catcher

Postby barrytrot » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:53 am

Copper Catcher wrote:What Happens To A Safe-Deposit Box On The Renter's Death?

In most states, boxes are sealed upon death and cannot be opened until an official representative can be present - a process that generally takes at least several weeks. Other states allow boxes to be opened without the presence of a representative only to find a will. Some states allow unrestricted access. A bank official or your lawyer can tell you the law in your state.

If you don't want your safe-deposit box to be sealed upon your death, consider using an entity such as a corporation to rent the box. Generally, safe-deposit boxes registered in a corporate name are not sealed upon the death of a principal.

http://www.survivorshipatoz.org/hiv/top ... s/?sid=233

So they are temporarily sealed, not permanently removed from play.

Not a huge deal. I'm sure there are dozens of other things that are "hoops to jump through" when someone dies and it is solely in their name.

Naturally putting an account in your wife and your wife's name would prevent this anyway unless you both died simultaneously.
barrytrot

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:33 am

1. A key reason to not use SDBs is that the bank's liability is capped. read your agreement. for most banks, its 300X your rent. my rent is $35, so, that is just $10,000.

2. banks close/move branches all the time. what happens to your box? its a pain.

3. banks lose keys/have internal thefts all the time. remember their liability is capped. how would you prove what is in your box? where i bank, every time i go to the branch there a new people. banks don't pay that much and people move on. SDB is something that comes up once in a blue moon - no one is expert on it and stuff gets lost even with the best of intentions. occassionally people have bad intentions.

4. its possible there are fed rules against cash/metals in your SDB, but i don't recall see this in my rental agreement and it likely would be there if there were such rules. my rental agreement says no guns.

5. if there is an emergency, the bank will close and you will be the last person to be able to get to your SDB.

6. I am a JW subscriber and that was indeed in the newsletter. he was citing another newsletter. JW is a bit alarmist but is worth reading if you read it in the spirit Ray does and with a grain of salt. In all likelihood the report is true, but was the execution of a warrant based on suspicion of money laundering, tax fraud, or some other 'real' crime. in other words, the chance of DHS doing this randomly today is pretty low.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby No82s » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Personally I'm surprised anyone here would even own a SDB. If its in the bank it theirs. What was that Ponce always said?
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:05 pm

The last twelve years of Presidential politics and Congressional shenanigans in America have shown us that Presidents can now write EO's about anything and there is no organized Constitutional power via the Congress, or the Courts, to stop these EO's from being carried out.

Just because it's not in some EO, statue, law, Court ruling, bureaucratic policy, or regulation today does not mean it will be excluded from same tomorrow.

If they want to take your money bad enough, they will bend the rules enough to do so.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rexmerdinus » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Maybe I'll get a SDB and keep it empty as a decoy.
Or maybe I'll get a diary and fill it with gibberish that looks like an encoded message, just to throw them off.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby agmoose » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:40 pm

I'd never have a SDB, and talked my Mom into closing hers two years ago. Her stuff is much safer now and she can access it whenever she wants.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby reddirtcoins » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:11 pm

Well, think what you want but the more locations I have the better. No where is safe so yes, I have sdb's, safes, dirt, other family members, etc, etc..... I'm not worried about my sdb's because it is only a small footprint. Just as I'm not worried about anyone family member as they are only a small footprint... Best case.. Spread it around, you'll sleep better.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Monday morning to do list....

accomplished :shifty:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:17 pm

SDB's are great for insurance paperwork. I insured some gold jewelry so that if we ever have a home invasion we won't feel in any way compelled to hide it from the bastards, and the paperwork is safe and sound in the SDB.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:21 pm

Had 3 SDBs at one time. Now only one, which I will keep. Bank purposely selected for management and location, which contains my backup insurance against something else truly awful but low probability happening elsewhere, like a giant sinkhole, or an airliner impacting where I don't want it to, etc.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:36 pm

TwoPenniesEarned wrote:SDB's are great for insurance paperwork. I insured some gold jewelry so that if we ever have a home invasion we won't feel in any way compelled to hide it from the bastards, and the paperwork is safe and sound in the SDB.

i have a zip drive with back up copies of birth cert., titles, passwords etc. in the SDB.

good place for latest copy of bank statements, etc.

some sort of cyber attack is likely in the coming years where your bank's or broker's data just goes bye bye.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:59 pm

Always strikes me as odd how so many people who don't trust banks to hold their cash in checking/savings accounts somehow trust them to hold their gold/silver in safety deposit boxes. In the event the bank goes under, they are both (at least temporarily) inaccessible, but where the FDIC insures paper accounts for $250k, SDBs are only covered by the bank's insurance and usually for a very limited amount (commonly $10k, maybe up to $100k in some cases). Not to mention the limited accessibility just based on banker's hours and holidays...that alone would drive me nuts. Plus bank employees and customers seeing you come and go. Maybe it's different in the city where you can blend in, or if you rent and have limited space and/or can't build or bolt down suitable storage, but personally I just don't see the appeal.
natsb88

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:15 pm

natsb88 wrote:Always strikes me as odd how so many people who don't trust banks to hold their cash in checking/savings accounts somehow trust them to hold their gold/silver in safety deposit boxes. In the event the bank goes under, they are both (at least temporarily) inaccessible, but where the FDIC insures paper accounts for $250k, SDBs are only covered by the bank's insurance and usually for a very limited amount (commonly $10k, maybe up to $100k in some cases). Not to mention the limited accessibility just based on banker's hours and holidays...that alone would drive me nuts. Plus bank employees and customers seeing you come and go. Maybe it's different in the city where you can blend in, or if you rent and have limited space and/or can't build or bolt down suitable storage, but personally I just don't see the appeal.

Good points. I don't like it being a primary place for all the reasons you list, but on the other hand there are people that may have little choice, such as renters as you note above. Not everyone owns property - what are they to do?

For me, I've chosen an alternate location via SDB in case something really goes badly wrong elsewhere, unrelated to banking failure. I don't go in and out of it - it's there, done - I just audit it once a year. And it's a bank that is only closed 4 days a year, and open late most days, so access could hardly be better, given the relative security compared to alternatives. I like options. All eggs in one basket is bad.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:58 pm

I heard this online as well but I live in Cincinnati and have seen no real evidence to support it yet. The CIA would not admit to operating domestically even if it was them, because that would be illegal. The story sounds made up. If it were real, it would have been the FBI or other domestic agency.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:16 pm

what i heard was DHS, which operates domestically, but it still sounds implausible.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:12 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:i have a zip drive with back up copies of birth cert., titles, passwords etc. in the SDB.

Zips are old enough tech that yours may have died by now. Zips also require a special drive, that will not work on all computers any more. Plus drivers?

Passed time to pull it and copy to a CD. Maybe copy to two CDs, from different companies.

Or DVDs. Or both.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:17 pm

I'd bet money he's using modern slang and means a USB memory stick and not a literal zip drive.
68Camaro

Postby Mossy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:23 pm

68Camaro wrote:I'd bet money he's using modern slang and means a USB memory stick and not a literal zip drive.

He'd better. I spoke with a local computer shop about that. "If we are lucky, 10% recovery."
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:16 am

Let's think of it this way: if you are paying $60 every six months for a box, after 10 years you could have bought your own $1,200 gun safe and bolted it to the floor, not to mention WAY more room and no access issues.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Engineer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:25 am

Germany let the Fed store their gold...and it's taking them 7 years to get it back.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals