10% of US Silver Supply Vaporized!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

10% of US Silver Supply Vaporized!

Postby 93_Confirmed » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:46 am

4 million ounces of annual silver supply and 400,000 ounces of annual gold supply have just been landslided. Rio Tinto’s Kennecott mine in Utah- the US’ 2nd largest silver mine and world’s largest copper mine has just suffered a massive landslide which will likely shut down production at the mine for years as upwards of 1 billion tons of dirt and ore have collapsed into the basin. 10% of US annual silver production just vanished. Good thing there aren’t any physical supply issues in silver currently or anything…

http://silverdoctors.com/10-of-us-annua ... vaporized/
"When you place an order at NWT, they write it down on a slip of paper and hand it to a guy with a pickaxe who rides off to the Pan American mine on a donkey". - natsb88
93_Confirmed
Penny Collector Member

Re: 10% of US Silver Supply Vaporized!

Postby scyther » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:56 am

93_Confirmed wrote:
4 million ounces of annual silver supply and 400,000 ounces of annual gold supply have just been landslided. Rio Tinto’s Kennecott mine in Utah- the US’ 2nd largest silver mine and world’s largest copper mine has just suffered a massive landslide which will likely shut down production at the mine for years as upwards of 1 billion tons of dirt and ore have collapsed into the basin. 10% of US annual silver production just vanished. Good thing there aren’t any physical supply issues in silver currently or anything…

http://silverdoctors.com/10-of-us-annua ... vaporized/

I'm feeling better about buying yesterday now...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:03 am

I had some 90% listed here for 20.5x...and would like to thank all of you for not buying it. :D

Latest news:

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/state-and-regional/regulators-block-access-to-utah-mine-after-landslide/article_dfed4629-c725-55a6-934c-b168106b9e07.html

Don't forget that mine also produced a LOT of copper, molybdenum, and sulfuric acid in addition to Ag and Au. I'm half tempted to buy a truckload of the acid before prices shoot through the roof.

From Wikipedia:
“It is one of the top producing copper mines in the world with cumulative production at more than 19 million tons of copper.[2] In 2011, Kennecott produced approximately 237,000 tons of copper, along with 379,000 troy ounces of gold, 3.2 million troy ounces of silver, about 30 million pounds of molybdenum, and about 1 million tons of sulfuric acid, a by-product of the smelting process.”
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:51 am

Very interesting, can't wait to see how the markets react......if they do.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby agmoose » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:59 am

Another article......doesn't mention Silver production stats, but also seems to underplay any market effects.

http://www.mineweb.com/mineweb/content/ ... &sn=Detail
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:03 am

agmoose wrote:Very interesting, can't wait to see how the markets react......if they do.

I'm surprised at how little press it's gotten considering that's 15-18% of the US copper supply. Can you imagine how much of a frenzy they'd be in if that much of the corn crop failed, or that much oil got taken off-line?

It'll be interesting to see how CNBC covers (or doesn't cover) the story Monday morning.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:05 am

Is this something they can fix soon, or will it be out for a few years?
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby agmoose » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:56 am

Engineer wrote:
agmoose wrote:Very interesting, can't wait to see how the markets react......if they do.

I'm surprised at how little press it's gotten considering that's 15-18% of the US copper supply. Can you imagine how much of a frenzy they'd be in if that much of the corn crop failed, or that much oil got taken off-line?

It'll be interesting to see how CNBC covers (or doesn't cover) the story Monday morning.

Very true. I will be watching to see what the MSM says too.

The way they describe the size of the collapse, I don't know if they will ever dig that area back out. It is certainly down at least a year.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby agmoose » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:00 am

There are some people who would love a 20% bump in copper prices around here I bet.

An area two thousand feet across and just as high. That is a lot of dirt.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:17 am

agmoose wrote:There are some people who would love a 20% bump in copper prices around here I bet.

Ooh! Me!

Although really, it needs to be more like a 100% jump. Something to get people to start defying the melt ban, or at least hoarding more...
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:11 am

Wow! Those are some really cool pictures! :)

I wonder how the market will react to this? I'm sure it will take many months to dig out from under all of that. :o

So large that you can see it from space?? I guess I never realized how BIG some of these mines really are! :!:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:28 am

Those pictures are incredible. That is a lot of dirt to move. Anyone with a dump truck within 100 miles of this mine should be able to get a job there easily.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Robarons » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:37 am

So this should effect silver supply right and therefore prices?

I see its 10% of US SUPPLY but what does that really mean on a global scale? I am sure the USA isnt a top producer of silver anyways because most silver is bought on the global market from places like Mexico or Russia?

For the example if I read 50% US PLATINUM SUPPLY WIPED OUT because of mine ladnslide I wouldnt care because US Platinum production is likely 2% of the worlds production (with most of it in Russia or South America) so 50% of 2% is only a 1% change on a global scale. Now if you said 50% of Russia's platinum supply got wiped WATCH OUT
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:54 am

Robarons wrote:So this should effect silver supply right and therefore prices?

I see its 10% of US SUPPLY but what does that really mean on a global scale? I am sure the USA isnt a top producer of silver anyways because most silver is bought on the global market from places like Mexico or Russia?

For the example if I read 50% US PLATINUM SUPPLY WIPED OUT because of mine ladnslide I wouldnt care because US Platinum production is likely 2% of the worlds production (with most of it in Russia or South America) so 50% of 2% is only a 1% change on a global scale. Now if you said 50% of Russia's platinum supply got wiped WATCH OUT

I agree with what you wrote. But this article is poorly worded and the content has changed to 16% of the US silver "supply"

The article uses "supply" and "production" interchangeably. Which is it? It reads like it was written by a 10 year old.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby beauanderos » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:58 am

This is perceptual in effect, and should have little to no impact on the price. If (and I'm just tossing out a number here, because who trusts official figures) annual silver production is 900 million ounces, then you can see that 4 or 5 million ounces is but a fragment of that, and if cause and effect were actual, would alter the price but little. What it does affect will be this:
http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=RIO+Interactive#symbol=rio;range=5d;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;
http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=RIO+Interactive#symbol=rio;range=3m;compare=;indicator=volume;charttype=area;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=off;source=undefined;

as I think Engineer (might have been someone else) pointed out in another thread... what will have a greater impact on supply is continued suppression of silver pricing, leading to shutting down of mines that are developing problems showing profitability when extraction costs are in excess of what they can sell for. This factor too, though, is mitigated by the fact that about 78% of silver production is as a by-product to copper, lead, zinc, etc mining. Now... if the BASE metal prices ever went into a prolonged slump that shuttered mines, that would be a different story. Reduction of silver production on a global basis under that scenario would produce a commensurate sphincter-tightening effect upon JPMorgan. Sorry, no pics provided for this one.
Last edited by beauanderos on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby pennypicker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:00 am

* According to The Silver Institute the US is the 9th largest producer of silver in the world.
* In 2011 global mine production of silver was 697 million ounces.
* In 2011 US mine production was 36 million ounces which was 5.1 % of the world's total mine production.

** So a 10% sudden "evaporation" of US silver production equates to loss of 1/2 of 1% of the world's silver production.
** Perhaps its not that big of a deal afterall...relatively speaking.
Last edited by pennypicker on Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Robarons » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:03 am

Thats the math I was looking for

Now it would be nice for said article and mine landslide to spook the markets to the upside, but dont hold your breath
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:06 am

Robarons wrote:Thats the math I was looking for

Now it would be nice for said article and mine landslide to spook the markets to the upside, but dont hold your breath

Truth in numbers....except if they are delivered by a politician or CEO. :D
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:07 am

Robarons wrote:Thats the math I was looking for

Somehow I suspect that it will produce the opposite effect, as those who understand human psychology expect this and will attempt to contain any rise.
beauanderos

Postby Robarons » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:13 am

On a side note a strike at a Copper mine would jump Silver and Copper up respectively

When Chile has strikes at Copper mines we saw copper tick up on the news, Silver would have too but at a prolonged delayed rate because its a by-product that would take into effect as the mines closed up

Same with South Africa mines on strikes on Gold prices, but Gold is mined in other places as a sole metal in most cases
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:21 am

Top 2011 silver mine producing countries according to The Silver Institute: (millions of ounces)

1. Mexico 152.8
2. Peru 109.8
3. China 103.9
4. Australia 55.2
5. Chile 42.1
6. Poland 40.8
7. Russia 40.0
8. Bolivia 39.0
9. United States 36.0
10. Argentina 22.6
11. Canada 19.1
12. Kazakhstan 17.6
13. India 11.0
14. Turkey 9.4
15. Sweden 9.1
16. Guatemala 8.8
17. Morocco 7.3
18. Indonesia 6.0
19. Iran 3.5
20. Papua New Guinea 3.0

**Truth in numbers...except when associated with Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, Alex Rodriguez, Manny Ramirez etc....... :lol:

pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:47 am

pennypicker wrote:Top 2011 silver mine producing countries according to The Silver Institute: (millions of ounces)

1. Mexico 152.8
2. Peru 109.8
3. China 103.9
4. Australia 55.2
5. Chile 42.1
6. Poland 40.8
7. Russia 40.0
8. Bolivia 39.0
9. United States 36.0
10. Argentina 22.6
11. Canada 19.1
12. Kazakhstan 17.6
13. India 11.0
14. Turkey 9.4
15. Sweden 9.1
16. Guatemala 8.8
17. Morocco 7.3
18. Indonesia 6.0
19. Iran 3.5
20. Papua New Guinea 3.0

**Truth in numbers...except when associated with Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, Alex Rodriguez, Manny Ramirez etc....... :lol:

You're a real card, ya know that? :clap: :lol:
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:10 pm

If there is a surplus of silver it will have little near-term effect. If however silver is in complete balance, it will have a greater affect than it's proportion.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby doug » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:57 pm

The mine was closed on the first of april so it looks like it was out of production already.

Doug
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:03 pm

doug wrote:The mine was closed on the first of april so it looks like it was out of production already.

Doug

It was closed only because of the pending slide, which they were able to detect the early signs of...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals