How much gold and silver is the U.S. gvmt sitting on?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How much gold and silver is the U.S. gvmt sitting on?

Postby Catfish4u » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:41 am

I estimate the federal government owns more than 350 MILLION acres in top silver and gold mining states. Are there 'vast amounts' of gold and silver that are 'not discovered' or maybe even our government knows about extensive reserves of those pm's? Just curious what others thoughts are on 'undiscovered resources'.
Catfish4u
Penny Pincher Member

Re: How much gold and silver is the U.S. gvmt sitting on?

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:09 am

They have sold or leased away 4500 tons according to Chris Martensen:

http://goldsilver.com/video/why-did-sil ... ch%20Video

They will need thousands of miners and boatloads of diesel to extract and refine the ore. The Petrodollar is evaporating. U.S. won't be able to buy oil with debt anymore very very soon. We're at peak cheap oil if not peak oil period.

And government is a horribly inefficient employer.

Undiscovered = nothing.
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:48 am

TwoPenniesEarned wrote: U.S. won't be able to buy oil with debt anymore very very soon. We're at peak cheap oil if not peak oil period.

We've got plenty of our own if we'd just develop it. Then again, there's something to be said for using up everyone else's first.

I actually think the jury is still out on abiotic oil, but we'll never know as long as Big Oil suppresses that information and research.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby pmbug » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:30 am

There might be some, but even if it were discovered yesterday, it would take years to set up the infrastructure to mine it. The Kennecot mine that collapsed last week produced almost 10 tons of gold last year. Now it's buried under ~250 million tons of dirt and may not be back in operation for a couple of years.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. -Lao Tzu

You can find me ranting at clouds on pmbug.com.
pmbug
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:02 pm

The mountains behind Juneau Alaska are low grade gold ore, with some jewelry veins. Cannot touch them because of the enviros and condo conservationists.

The ore runs from the Taku Inlet, east to the border, and north past Berners Bay. That's a lot of ore. Some still on Douglas Island, too.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverEye » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Environmental protection is how the hawks use the greenies to protect our nation. "Save the spotted owl" or "protect the thin-lipped nematode" so lock up whatever wetland holds the required commodity.

Watch how fast those protections evaporate if we went to war (a real war, say against China or other major nation-state) and needed resources to supply our armies. With the stroke of a pen the president would lift restrictions and everything we need would be cut down, dug up and pumped out.
SilverEye
Penny Collector Member

Postby Engineer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:51 pm

pmbug wrote:The Kennecot mine that collapsed last week produced almost 10 tons of gold last year. Now it's buried under ~250 million tons of dirt

I just plugged it into the calculator, and even using their huge (400 ton) dump trucks, it will take 625,000 loads to clear out the mine.

Assuming they could work around the clock for 2 years, that would be 35 loads per hour.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:54 pm

Engineer wrote:
pmbug wrote:The Kennecot mine that collapsed last week produced almost 10 tons of gold last year. Now it's buried under ~250 million tons of dirt

I just plugged it into the calculator, and even using their huge (400 ton) dump trucks, it will take 625,000 loads to clear out the mine.

Assuming they could work around the clock for 2 years, that would be 35 loads per hour.

I have to assume that going deeper was following the richest veins. Would it be more cost effective for them to leave that area buried and just work on expanding side veins?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:00 pm

beauanderos wrote:I have to assume that going deeper was following the richest veins. Would it be more cost effective for them to leave that area buried and just work on expanding side veins?

They were planning to expand the mine to the north, but I'm not sure where the slide occurred. If it was on the south side of the mine, they may be able to leave it in place.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:47 pm

TwoPenniesEarned wrote:They have sold or leased away 4500 tons according to Chris Martensen:

http://goldsilver.com/video/why-did-sil ... ch%20Video

They will need thousands of miners and boatloads of diesel to extract and refine the ore. The Petrodollar is evaporating. U.S. won't be able to buy oil with debt anymore very very soon. We're at peak cheap oil if not peak oil period.

And government is a horribly inefficient employer.

Undiscovered = nothing.

That was a good video! :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals