Silvertowne - can't deliver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silvertowne - can't deliver

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:17 pm

Ordered bars from Silvertowne that they said were "in stock". They charged my card. 6 days ago. I called asking for delivery. After extensive phone pain they admitted that even though their site says they have the bars, that they don't have the bars. The order taker agreed to cancel after I told her I was going to protest the charge. I called the card company and protested the charge for inabilty to deliver a product that was advertised as in stock. A manager then (to my surprise) called me back and in that conversation it came out that not only do they not have the bars made - but that they don't even have the silver to make the bars. That it would be some indeterminate amount of time before they could deliver. I told him they flat out lied to me, then charged my card anyway.

As it happens (as we all know) the price of silver is down $4 since I placed the order, but I was more than willing to accept delivery. I want the silver, and I either want an acceptable date for delivery or for them to not charge me until they can. He also wanted to charge me a 20% cancellation fee but I said no - deliver the product and I'll pay. If you can't deliver, then you reverse the entire charge. And I reminded him that I would win, with the card company - because they lied.

Am I wrong?

At any rate, he couldn't argue against me, said he would talk to their accounting department to correct the charge, and to not charge me a cancellation.

I hope so.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Silvertowne - can't deliver

Postby dakota1955 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:20 pm

I just ordered some bars today from silvertowne will have to see what will happen.
dakota1955

Postby Treetop » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:30 pm

Wow. I cant believe they want to charge you to cancel and they dont even have silver let alone minted silver for your order. It is definitely shady imo that this was listed as in stock instead of backordered. If it was a simple mistake they shouldnt be trying to charge you a cancellation fee.

Something doesnt feel the same about this recent drop compared to other large drops we have had. Has me wondering if we will start to see the wheels fall off the manipulation to some degree or another. Just a feeling.

heres to hoping you dont get charged and everyone trying to buy this dip gets their metal in hand as promised.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby angel2004 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:36 pm

I wondered how things were going with online companies. Many just show out of stock. As far as your credit card company, I would call now and let them be aware. They may do the chargeback if you call in the dispute. (as an example, my husband was double charged from some online game and when he emailed the company to reverse one charge they had the nerve to say they don't do reversals! He only charged once. Anyway he called the credit card and they charged back the duplicate posting) Credit cards work with their customers for the most part especially when a company doesn't follow rules or isn't fair.
angel2004
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mishra142 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:08 pm

I just got an email from goldmart today saying all its silver orders will be delayed
old feedback link:

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10854
mishra142
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:15 pm

Northwest Territorial Mint and Monex pulled this crap on me in 2007 and 2008. I got my product once the spot price of silver plus the premium i agreed to pay declined below the price I agreed to pay. In other words, i locked in a great price, but didn't get my prodcut for 6-8 months until those scumbags could source it at an even bigger profit.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Country » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:20 pm

Last week or so SILVERTOWNE added the following to their website:

"Due to high demand for silver + gold, shipping times may be longer than usual. Thank you for your understanding."

On 4/4/13, my order was shipped out that same day. The invoice was delayed, but not the shipment. Ordered again on 4/16, haven't received that, but I got a great price and I can wait. I've been satisfied with SILVERTOWNE, and I feel even with the current downtrend, they are trustworthy.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby angel2004 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:23 pm

I guess waiting isn't too bad but I don't know how they can take the $$ first. Even the US mint doesn't charge a CC until shipment.
angel2004
Penny Pincher Member

Postby theo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:24 pm

Wow! I ordered a couple bars from them last Saturday. I'm surprised they admitted that much to you. Why not give you a date like two or three weeks to mollify you for now? I'll probably give them a call this weekend.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby natsb88 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:43 pm

I think I have picked up a few silver orders this week because of the uncertainty and delays with other online dealers. I'm not the cheapest place around by any stretch of the imagination and I don't pretend that I am. But I don't play games with "en route" products or undisclosed pre-orders. I only sell what I have, and I ship it quickly :thumbup:
natsb88

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:19 pm

Country wrote:Last week or so SILVERTOWNE added the following to their website:

"Due to high demand for silver + gold, shipping times may be longer than usual. Thank you for your understanding."

On 4/4/13, my order was shipped out that same day. The invoice was delayed, but not the shipment. Ordered again on 4/16, haven't received that, but I got a great price and I can wait. I've been satisfied with SILVERTOWNE, and I feel even with the current downtrend, they are trustworthy.

I'm very happy for you. Good luck with your more recent orders. You'll probably get them eventually. However I ordered based on in-stock product. This delay isn't a "shipping delay" due to the shipping department being backed up. It's flat-out due to them having no silver but being willing to take my money instantly, then making me wait until they do have silver (which in this market could be many weeks to months).

Just checked - the bar I order still shows as "in stock" (I saved a screen print for the record).

In stock means it's in hand. They a) admitted it wasn't on the shelf, b) admitted the factory had no specific date they could commit to, c) then admitted they didn't even have the metal in hand - and d) tried to weasel out of it (not terribly effectively, but I presume they aren't as practiced as it as others are). Regardless, that's called lying. That's not what I call trustworthy. Would I get the metal eventually - oh, probably (presuming they don't go out of business or the market doesn't crash - neither of which I want to make a bet on in this climate). But that wasn't the deal. We had a contract which was they had an in stock item that I agreed to buy because it was in stock (versus out of stock items which I did NOT order). But it's not in stock and that isn't a mistake. They didn't acknowledge this or try to make amends but instead they wanted to charge me a fee for their deception.

I've ordered from them before, never again. When someone tells me the truth 5 times and then bold-face lies to me, they remain liars even though they may have told me the truth the previous 5 times.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:21 pm

natsb88 wrote: I'm not the cheapest place around by any stretch of the imagination

"Extortion!" Image :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can't go wrong with ordering from Nate :mrgreen: :thumbup: :clap:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby barrytrot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:33 pm

68Camaro wrote:Ordered bars from Silvertowne that they said were "in stock". They charged my card. 6 days ago. I called asking for delivery. After extensive phone pain they admitted that even though their site says they have the bars, that they don't have the bars. The order taker agreed to cancel after I told her I was going to protest the charge. I called the card company and protested the charge for inabilty to deliver a product that was advertised as in stock. A manager then (to my surprise) called me back and in that conversation it came out that not only do they not have the bars made - but that they don't even have the silver to make the bars. That it would be some indeterminate amount of time before they could deliver. I told him they flat out lied to me, then charged my card anyway.

As it happens (as we all know) the price of silver is down $4 since I placed the order, but I was more than willing to accept delivery. I want the silver, and I either want an acceptable date for delivery or for them to not charge me until they can. He also wanted to charge me a 20% cancellation fee but I said no - deliver the product and I'll pay. If you can't deliver, then you reverse the entire charge. And I reminded him that I would win, with the card company - because they lied.

Am I wrong?

At any rate, he couldn't argue against me, said he would talk to their accounting department to correct the charge, and to not charge me a cancellation.

I hope so.

I wouldn't give them the courtesy of "talking to the accounting department to SEE if they can correct their error".

You are in the right here, do a charge back through your credit card and be done with these guys.
barrytrot

Postby barrytrot » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:34 pm

I can 100% vouch for 68Camaro and he would take the order with a smile IF they actually had product to give him.

This is a clear cut case here.
barrytrot

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:56 pm

I have no problem with your actions. They busted the deal.....not you.

No diff than going to krispy kream and ordering a dozen donuts while the "fresh donuts" sign is lit up. You pay for the donuts expecting to enjoy them in short order. Then a guy comes out of the back and says ....."yeah your gonna have to wait on those donuts" . You ask how long....because you still want donuts and heck you've already paid. The guy then says, "well we're kinda out of flour, not real sure when we will be getting any either."

Now if the items said backordered/delayed (which they did not at the time of purchase) that would be a diff story.
That would be more like ordering Krispy Kreams for a fundraiser. Tell them how many boxes you want and wait.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby chris6084 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:43 pm

natsb88 wrote:I think I have picked up a few silver orders this week because of the uncertainty and delays with other online dealers. I'm not the cheapest place around by any stretch of the imagination and I don't pretend that I am. But I don't play games with "en route" products or undisclosed pre-orders. I only sell what I have, and I ship it quickly :thumbup:

That's the right way to do business in my opinion.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby bgretz1989 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:52 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:I have no problem with your actions. They busted the deal.....not you.

No diff than going to krispy kream and ordering a dozen donuts while the "fresh donuts" sign is lit up. You pay for the donuts expecting to enjoy them in short order. Then a guy comes out of the back and says ....."yeah your gonna have to wait on those donuts" . You ask how long....because you still want donuts and heck you've already paid. The guy then says, "well we're kinda out of flour, not real sure when we will be getting any either."

Now if the items said backordered/delayed (which they did not at the time of purchase) that would be a diff story.
That would be more like ordering Krispy Kreams for a fundraiser. Tell them how many boxes you want and wait.

Sounds like someone needs a Krispy Kreams fix! :lol:

Best analogy in a while!
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Postby slickeast » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:55 pm

Yum ...... Krispy Kreme
Last edited by slickeast on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby johnbrickner » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:21 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:I have no problem with your actions. They busted the deal.....not you.

Bust a deal, face the wheel.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:11 pm

I just ordered some bars from them on Tuesday. It said then that shipping would be delayed 2-3 weeks, which I have no problem with. But we will see. Claiming to have something "in stock" when you don't even have the product to produce "the stock" is not cool.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:22 pm

Hawkeye wrote:I just ordered some bars from them on Tuesday. It said then that shipping would be delayed 2-3 weeks, which I have no problem with. But we will see. Claiming to have something "in stock" when you don't even have the product to produce "the stock" is not cool.

It'll be interesting to see when you all that ordered this week get yours. The manager I talked to was hedging, as though they had been told they didn't have any definitive silver coming in and no promises of any sure delivery dates. He sounded a bit shell-shocked.
68Camaro

Postby Engineer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:28 pm

68Camaro wrote:It'll be interesting to see when you all that ordered this week get yours. The manager I talked to was hedging, as though they had been told they didn't have any definitive silver coming in and no promises of any sure delivery dates. He sounded a bit shell-shocked.

I ordered from APMEX early Monday morning, they shipped Wednesday, and it's supposed to be here tomorrow.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:30 pm

68Camaro wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:I just ordered some bars from them on Tuesday. It said then that shipping would be delayed 2-3 weeks, which I have no problem with. But we will see. Claiming to have something "in stock" when you don't even have the product to produce "the stock" is not cool.

It'll be interesting to see when you all that ordered this week get yours. The manager I talked to was hedging, as though they had been told they didn't have any definitive silver coming in and no promises of any sure delivery dates. He sounded a bit shell-shocked.

I only ordered a couple of 1 oz bars to take advantage of their free shipping so I'll ride it out just out of curiosity. But it is annoying because it did say "in stock" when I ordered. I don't appreciate that.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Engineer wrote:
68Camaro wrote:It'll be interesting to see when you all that ordered this week get yours. The manager I talked to was hedging, as though they had been told they didn't have any definitive silver coming in and no promises of any sure delivery dates. He sounded a bit shell-shocked.

I ordered from APMEX early Monday morning, they shipped Wednesday, and it's supposed to be here tomorrow.

Was it a product they produce themselves from large bar?
68Camaro

Postby Engineer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:38 pm

68Camaro wrote:
Engineer wrote:

Was it a product they produce themselves from large bar?

It was government minted bullion their website showed as "in stock"...but that was from the early morning hours before the bottom.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals