Bizarre night in Boston/Watertown

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bizarre night in Boston/Watertown

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:11 am

i'm sure you guys are waking up and flicking on the news.

1 Mass LEO killed in the line....1 of the two suspects, shot dead...the other, still loose within a 20 block perimeter.

it all involved a robbery, car-jacking, pursuit, gun battle along with "explosive devices" (grenades) thrown at LEO's....its 0500 EST now, 4 am central, i dont have cable (thank God) so i been watching news streams from Al-Jay, CNN, the Beeb.

now i looked at the surveill cam captures of these two guys, who are reported as "Causcasian"...wekk, if these guys are causcasian, then i'm a fooking Pacific Islander...i'm sorry, but they look arab...maybe i'm wrong.

man these are some strange days.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: Bizarre night in Boston/Watertown

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:31 am

0600 EST--BOSTON SHUT DOWN.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:40 am

The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby deacon » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:22 am

They are Muslim and Chechen.
As far as caucasian, its a very broad term. Slavs, Indians, Greeks, Hispanics ect are all Caucasian. Caucasian =! Anglo-saxon.
Attachments
Suspect.jpg
Suspect.jpg (73.04 KiB) Viewed 518 times
deacon
Penny Collector Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:29 am

I am amazed that the secret service let the president come to Boston yesterday with these guys still loose.. My daughter is in Cambridge, my wife is not happy...
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby christostock » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:57 am

My daughter also in Cambridge. My wife is also not too happy!
she is ordered to stay in the dorm.
I was supposed to get her and run errands there this morning.
Glad she is safe
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank.
christostock
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Z00 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:21 am

Boston and the surrounding areas have been shut down. The mayor is asking all residents to stay indoors. Mass transit has been suspended.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverflake » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:29 am

I am glad to have got out of Boston on Tuesday morning. Felt that 'claustrophobia' of being in the city that we moved out of >10 years ago. To all realcent members in Boston or with family members in Boston, prayers to you.

On another note, my family and I were 'locked down" in our room at the Westin hotel Monday. I NEVER knew the frustrated, scary, anxious, helpless feeling of literally being trapped in our free country. Cell phone service cut, more police than runners...SCARY.

Hope this ends soon. Thoughts and prayers to my realcent friends.

(By the way, on a lighter note, my boys go to a small school here at home. Everyone knew my wife was running. When they got back to school, they were celebrities for a day. My 15 year old milking the affections of the swooning, concerned teenage girls who were oh-so-worried. :D )
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mflugher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:35 am

Z00 wrote:Boston and the surrounding areas have been shut down. The mayor is asking all residents to stay indoors. Mass transit has been suspended.

silverflake wrote:On another note, my family and I were 'locked down" in our room at the Westin hotel Monday. I NEVER knew the frustrated, scary, anxious, helpless feeling of literally being trapped in our free country. Cell phone service cut, more police than runners...SCARY.

Mass transit = control...

Don't care how high gas prices go I will always own a car. The right of free movement of the citizens is paramount.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:37 am

Christo and Diggin4Copper, prayers and thoughts with your family that they stay safe.

I just don't know what gets in peoples minds to do things like this.

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:54 am

neilgin1 wrote:i'm sure you guys are waking up and flicking on the news.

1 Mass LEO killed in the line....1 of the two suspects, shot dead...the other, still loose within a 20 block perimeter.

it all involved a robbery, car-jacking, pursuit, gun battle along with "explosive devices" (grenades) thrown at LEO's....its 0500 EST now, 4 am central, i dont have cable (thank God) so i been watching news streams from Al-Jay, CNN, the Beeb.

now i looked at the surveill cam captures of these two guys, who are reported as "Causcasian"...wekk, if these guys are causcasian, then i'm a fooking Pacific Islander...i'm sorry, but they look arab...maybe i'm wrong.

Dude are you blind or just in denial.

They are tea party patriots. Returning OIF/OEF veterans. They are anti-immigrant and tired of paying high taxes. They have rush Limbaugh streaming on their Ipods. it's so obvious.

Remember, we still do not know if these bombings were actually "terrorism"
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:01 am

Thogey wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:i'm sure you guys are waking up and flicking on the news.

Dude are you blind or just in denial.

They are tea party patriots. Returning OIF/OEF veterans. They are anti-immigrant and tired of paying high taxes. They have rush Limbaugh streaming on their Ipods. it's so obvious.

yer just breaking my bolls right?...(lol)....i dont know why i just lol'ed....watching this, just gives me the creeps. man, i aint going near a city.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby mflugher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:27 am

Thogey wrote:They are tea party patriots. Returning OIF/OEF veterans. They are anti-immigrant and tired of paying high taxes. They have rush Limbaugh streaming on their Ipods. it's so obvious.

I believe at this time only tea partiers are capable of terrorism, otherwise it's just workplace violence...

When was the last time terrorism was used to describe an event post 9/11?
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby dannan14 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:22 am

neilgin1 wrote:now i looked at the surveill cam captures of these two guys, who are reported as "Causcasian"...wekk, if these guys are causcasian, then i'm a fooking Pacific Islander...i'm sorry, but they look arab...maybe i'm wrong.

Well, they are from the Caucasus Mountains :P
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:15 pm

dannan14 wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:now i looked at the surveill cam captures of these two guys, who are reported as "Causcasian"...wekk, if these guys are causcasian, then i'm a fooking Pacific Islander...i'm sorry, but they look arab...maybe i'm wrong.

Well, they are from the Caucasus Mountains :P

yep...sure enough...i went to sgt report dot com....and watched the "Corbett Report"...he brought up a bunch of angles, maybe those two kids got all ginned up by somebody much smarter than them...kind of like useful idiots...know what i mean?...nothing is the way it seems these days.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Photos From the Manhunt in Boston

My comment to this on Facebook:

Disturbing. Not only because of the alleged suspect, but because this kind of police presence, military vehicles, forced searches, holding people prisoner in their own home, shutting down businesses, and the like, does not belong on US soil. It's essentially martial law, without calling it that. If a lone crazy terrorist walks into my house, I can defend myself. If a 10-man SWAT team storms my house and mistakes me for the suspect (not an infrequent occurrence, as numerous families with dead innocent dogs and busted front doors can attest), WTF am I supposed to do? You cannot sacrifice your basic rights and freedoms out of fear, not even "just once," because it sets a precedence for future events, and inevitably the trigger event becomes less and less severe over time. These scenes will eventually represent the hunt for a habitual tax evader or a sweep for unregistered guns if Americans accept this type of treatment without at least a bit of skepticism. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not next year, maybe not even in our lifetimes. But foundational rights don't just disappear overnight, they are eroded over time. It all starts somewhere, perhaps with a spectacle such that anyone who dare speak out against its handling can easily be vilified as selfish, insensitive, or as being suspicious themselves. The terrorists' goal isn't just to harm as many people as possible in a single attack, it's to achieve lasting effects on a society in the form of a less free and more fearful people. This type of reaction is EXACTLY their goal. Don't let them achieve it.
natsb88

Postby theo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:47 pm

natsb88 wrote:Image

Photos From the Manhunt in Boston

My comment to this on Facebook:

Disturbing. Not only because of the alleged suspect, but because this kind of police presence, military vehicles, forced searches, holding people prisoner in their own home, shutting down businesses, and the like, does not belong on US soil. It's essentially martial law, without calling it that. If a lone crazy terrorist walks into my house, I can defend myself. If a 10-man SWAT team storms my house and mistakes me for the suspect (not an infrequent occurrence, as numerous families with dead innocent dogs and busted front doors can attest), WTF am I supposed to do? You cannot sacrifice your basic rights and freedoms out of fear, not even "just once," because it sets a precedence for future events, and inevitably the trigger event becomes less and less severe over time. These scenes will eventually represent the hunt for a habitual tax evader or a sweep for unregistered guns if Americans accept this type of treatment without at least a bit of skepticism. Maybe not tomorrow, maybe not next year, maybe not even in our lifetimes. But foundational rights don't just disappear overnight, they are eroded over time. It all starts somewhere, perhaps with a spectacle such that anyone who dare speak out against its handling can easily be vilified as selfish, insensitive, or as being suspicious themselves. The terrorists' goal isn't just to harm as many people as possible in a single attack, it's to achieve lasting effects on a society in the form of a less free and more fearful people. This type of reaction is EXACTLY their goal. Don't let them achieve it.

Excellent post! I've been wondering all day about how exactly these house to house searches reconcile with the 4th amendment. Can you refuse to have your house searched?
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mflugher » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:30 pm

theo wrote:Excellent post! I've been wondering all day about how exactly these house to house searches reconcile with the 4th amendment. Can you refuse to have your house searched?

I agree this is an excellent post, and have posted similarly though probably less eloquently on my own facebook.

They can't reconcile such a broad search of private properties short of declaration of martial law. Without sounding callous, a lone bomber is hardly a "national emergency"

It has to be assumed with such a large area of search at least 1 person declined the search.

It is unlikely the suspect would choose a home who's owner would accept a search of the property if allowed to refuse the officer. It is far more likely that the homeowner would be a sympathizer or even more likely that the suspect would invade an unoccupied home through an open window, it is very difficult to get permission to search dozens of unoccupied homes...

Ergo:

1. illegal searches are/were being made
OR
2. All searches were with the consent of the searched, the entire exercise was pointless.
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:05 pm

These are interesting times, and scary too.

But I won't let fear alter my life. Forget that :thumbdown:

I don't quite see how shutting down the whole city of Boston...just to hunt for ONE lone bomber. Granted, he is armed and extremely dangerous, but
making people stay in their homes? It smacks of martial law, and I don't like it.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:15 pm

They caught that 2nd bastard....ALIVE!

Good. May swift justice be done upon him. :evil:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:24 pm

I had the same thought while watching some coverage at lunch. What if someone refuses to have their house searched? I have zero desire to have a swat team combing through my house, even if a crazy guy is on the loose. But this kind of thing puts a guy like me in a tough situation: I could A) forget the principle and just let them search my house because I have nothing to hide and because there is a crazy guy on the loose or B) refuse and immediately become a suspect and get my name on every list of every government agency in the country. Not a pleasant choice.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NDFarmer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:25 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:They caught that 2nd bastard....ALIVE!

Good. May swift justice be done upon him. :evil:

I agree I hope he gets what is coming to him. He should have his day in court. And after the trial is done by the end of May or June and he is convicted he should be put to death. But that won't happen. This will drag on for years.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:40 pm

American law enforcement only needs thousands of cops and federal agents to catch a low rent domestic terrorist.

Good job!

The media was exemplary is it's reportage.

The cool this is to see how fast a mob of upstanding law enforcement can be dispatched to invade a city, shut it down.

Lots of lessons learned here BTW.

Any guesses on the odds of Dzhokhar's survival past Monday?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby SoFa » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:20 pm

I don't know.
If you object to the handling of this, why not suggest a better alternative?
If you say " they could have done such and such and accomplished the capture without stepping on our rights" instead of just criticizing what they did then it is more constructive.
I'm just throwing this out there because I have mixed feelings on the whole thing, not because I don't understand where you're coming from.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:40 pm

SoFa wrote:I don't know.
If you object to the handling of this, why not suggest a better alternative?
If you say " they could have done such and such and accomplished the capture without stepping on our rights" instead of just criticizing what they did then it is more constructive.
I'm just throwing this out there because I have mixed feelings on the whole thing, not because I don't understand where you're coming from.

This the proper response to my post.

I don't know how to digest this either.

What I did notice is the level of response that was mustered in a short amount of time to deal with this incident.

It's a good thing that the a-holes are out of the picture. But can you all see what is possible?

Look at the array of force that is available (in spite of sequester).

Just a thought

PS As usual the media over reported and blew corn for a week. (Do we know if this is a terrorist attack yet?)
Thogey

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals