How can one stack silver with these crazy premiums?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How can one stack silver with these crazy premiums?

Postby Rastatodd » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:12 pm

I'm at my desk this beautiful Sunday afternoon here in the Twin Cities trying to stack what little silver I can find, when I should be out walking the dogs instead. Well I am on of all things eBay trying to catch a falling star in the way of a bargain on some 90% US junk. Came across this auction for 1-Washington Quarter and 3-Roosevelt dimes, melt value of $9.52. Sold at the strike of the gavel for $12.71 including shipping. Now if my math is right, that lot sold at a premuim of $3.19 or 33% more than it was worth. Now we all know that eBay's prices are quite high, I know that. But with silver at a little over $24. Has the world gone mad! :roll: I thought with this pullback in silver as well as gold prices a could find a few bargains. But it looks like the people that where on the fence about precious metals have decided to jump into the ring with the rest of us. I would just like to know will prices ever fall back in line with reasonable premiums?
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: How can one stack silver with these crazy premiums?

Postby dannan14 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:18 pm

*shrug* i consider silver to be worth far more than its current price in USD so it's still on sale no matter the premium.
dannan14
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:24 pm

Rastatodd wrote:I'm at my desk this beautiful Sunday afternoon here in the Twin Cities trying to stack what little silver I can find, when I should be out walking the dogs instead. Well I am on of all things eBay trying to catch a falling star in the way of a bargain on some 90% US junk. Came across this auction for 1-Washington Quarter and 3-Roosevelt dimes, melt value of $9.52. Sold at the strike of the gavel for $12.71 including shipping. Now if my math is right, that lot sold at a premuim of $3.19 or 33% more than it was worth. Now we all know that eBay's prices are quite high, I know that. But with silver at a little over $24. Has the world gone mad! :roll: I thought with this pullback in silver as well as gold prices a could find a few bargains. But it looks like the people that where on the fence about precious metals have decided to jump into the ring with the rest of us. I would just like to know will prices ever fall back in line with reasonable premiums?

NO.

your last sentence needs to be reversed. Will premiums ever fall back in line with reasonable prices?

YES.

Members of forums like ours recognize that the recent price pulldown was unjustified and not supported by any logical change in fundamentals. Therefore the current prices should hardly be considered as the true price of silver, or gold (although the public deem them so). If they were, those buyers could easily visit any source and find the coins sold at that price level. Just by the fact that they cannot do so proves that such prices are NOT reasonable, and hence, "exaggerated" premiums have been employed to compensate for the disparity.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rastatodd » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:27 pm

dannan14 wrote:*shrug* i consider silver to be worth far more than its current price in USD so it's still on sale no matter the premium.

Good point. But will you ever make up for the excessive premiums? I guess we don't have a crystal ball to tell us that, only the future holds that answer. Perhaps I am to reserve in my procurement of metals as a whole. I look at my excel balance sheet, if I'm not cost averaging down on my purchases, why buy.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:31 pm

Wow, Todd... you're right! The madness infects the gold buyers too... just checked on the prices of soon to expire 1/10 oz gold coins... ALL of them are in the $180 or greater range :shock:

Just goes to show you what great prices we are able to achieve from fellow members, when sellers aren't gouged by excessive fee structures. :thumbup:
beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:41 pm

Rastatodd wrote:
dannan14 wrote:*shrug* i consider silver to be worth far more than its current price in USD so it's still on sale no matter the premium.

Good point. But will you ever make up for the excessive premiums? I guess we don't have a crystal ball to tell us that, only the future holds that answer. Perhaps I am to reserve in my procurement of metals as a whole. I look at my excel balance sheet, if I'm not cost averaging down on my purchases, why buy.

Why buy? You are operating under the assumed paradigm of continued silver sourcing ability at pricing that will sooner or later revert to more reasonable levels given that the buying frenzy will eventually exhaust itself.

Other possibilities.

1) The buying frenzy builds, rather than abates.
2) Physical silver depletion is REAL.
3) You will always have control of your money (will we? Cyprus?) to make rational decisions regarding the appropriateness of purchases if they are inconsistent with our goals.

I'm not playing guessing games with premiums. Yes, they are costly and make you gnash your teeth when you wish you could take advantage of the dip and buy more. But there's little that can be done about them. If you want to build your stack, consider swapping junk ounces for .999 bullion, there are some who say they've been doing so to their advantage.
beauanderos

Postby Rastatodd » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:47 pm

I know what a great buy/sell/trade system we have here on Realcent. How we can do business transactions amongst ourselves will so very little if any problems. When I am buying, the first site that I turn to is Realcent. :thumbup: When the drop in prices did come upon use I saw that 1/10 AGE were selling for $155 - $159. Just didn't have enough, a term I have hear on this site "dry powder" in the bank to hop on that buying opportunity. But I did purchase some 1 gram AU PAMP Futura Bars.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SoFa » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:24 pm

$3.19 over melt doesn't seem excessive. If it's mailed with tracking, that's $1.69.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby rsk1963 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:25 pm

3.19 over for the amount being dscussed is crazy
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby xippi » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Ebay bucks are expiring in 4 days. :shifty: Use em or loose em. :?
xippi
Penny Collector Member

Postby John Reich » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:08 pm

I'm not playing guessing games with premiums. Yes, they are costly and make you gnash your teeth when you wish you could take advantage of the dip and buy more. But there's little that can be done about them. If you want to build your stack, consider swapping junk ounces for .999 bullion, there are some who say they've been doing so to their advantage.[/quote]

Ray makes a great point. Watching the gold/silver ratio & the premiums on 90% vs .999 is a great way to build your stack. For me, playing with the ratios and trading different metals keeps me "in the game" and provides enjoyment from the hobby angle, while I grow my stack.
John Reich
Penny Collector Member

Postby angel2004 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:33 pm

I guess I try not to worry when silver goes down after I buy, I just am happy to have the PM. Also, the premiums are just higher percentages now, I think because of the abrupt downward spiral. Hopefully the dust will settle soon and premiums will go down again. I haven't purchased at these high premiums, but I think at least at my local shop the silver I could have purchased with a 5% over spot premium a month ago, could be purchased at a 15% premium now for about the same so go figure.
angel2004
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Country » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:42 pm

I am strongly of the opinion that the premiums are too high. Now, if your stack is large you can afford to wait for a better opportunity; otherwise, you've got to get your share now despite the premium. Tulving's premium for 90% is coming DOWN; a week ago it was at spot + $4.99 for dimes and quarters; a few days ago it was spot + $4.49, and now bags are being sold for spot + $3.99. I would wait and buy in a few weeks at even lower premiums. Tulving gives me the notion that premiums will be gradually further reduced soon. I would note that BUY prices for 90% bags have held firm at spot + $1.99.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Klark Cent » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:47 pm

xippi wrote:Ebay bucks are expiring in 4 days. :shifty: Use em or loose em. :?

I usually buy forever stamps when that happens. You can get them at or below face value last time I checked.
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Klark Cent » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:52 pm

beauanderos wrote:Wow, Todd... you're right! The madness infects the gold buyers too... just checked on the prices of soon to expire 1/10 oz gold coins... ALL of them are in the $180 or greater range :shock:

Just goes to show you what great prices we are able to achieve from fellow members, when sellers aren't gouged by excessive fee structures. :thumbup:

Are the eBay fees affecting the premiums? It seems like most of the 90% lots have low starting bids and still finish at 24x or whatever.

In other words, the sellers don't seem compelled to set high starting bids or buy-it-nows to guard against low finishing bids.

Are the gold auctions like that?
Klark Cent
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:01 pm

have you checked your local pawn shops? I can buy at spot on junk silver any day hes got some one by me....i wouldnt bother with chain pawnshops,just the maw n paw type.
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rastatodd » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:10 pm

rsk1963 wrote:3.19 over for the amount being dscussed is crazy

Sorry rsk1963. Just thought the 33% over melt was a bit much, that's all. Next time you'll have no need to reply to such a thread as this. As your reply would be construed as being crazy after letting us all know how you feel. Good night, Daddy Warbucks.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:17 am

Dollar cost average. Convenience. Location constraints. Sometimes when we buy often in small amounts the premium is a cost of sourcing. I am guilty of supporting these high premiums. I recently have been buying dimes at $2.00 each and quarters at $5.00. What I pay in premium I save in time, fuel, mileage, wear and tear. I M O the choice to purchase at a premium is fostered out of convenience. I also prefer to source from my friends here.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:38 am

It's simple. You put one piece on top of another. Image
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:24 am

I rationalize it like this. The last time I sold silver, I sold 85 oz Ag in Kennedys to buy a car. I traded the seller directly for the coins. The spot at that time was $33.98 per oz.

Now, anytime I can buy AG for less than $33.98, including premiums, postage, gas, etc. to replace those Kennedys with any kind of Ag, it is a good deal.

Its all in the mind, Grasshopper.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby angel2004 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:39 am

That's a good way to look at it. You can't look back and worry. The price is going up now have any premiums decreased to anyone yet?
angel2004
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:20 am

premiums are starting to come down, and supply is starting to trickle in.

you have to have some patience, which is easier if you already have a stack.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SoFa » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:25 am

I agree. patience. A period of historical high premiums is not the time to back up the truck.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:27 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:I rationalize it like this. The last time I sold silver, I sold 85 oz Ag in Kennedys to buy a car. I traded the seller directly for the coins. The spot at that time was $33.98 per oz.

Now, anytime I can buy AG for less than $33.98, including premiums, postage, gas, etc. to replace those Kennedys with any kind of Ag, it is a good deal.

Its all in the mind, Grasshopper.

He's so right, when I started stacking Silver was at $34/oz. I bought my first Buffalo Round off of eBay for $37/shipped....now if I see Silver under $30 i'm ecstatic!!!!

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Verbane » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:45 pm

Klark Cent wrote:
beauanderos wrote:Wow, Todd... you're right! The madness infects the gold buyers too... just checked on the prices of soon to expire 1/10 oz gold coins... ALL of them are in the $180 or greater range :shock:

Are the eBay fees affecting the premiums? It seems like most of the 90% lots have low starting bids and still finish at 24x or whatever.

In other words, the sellers don't seem compelled to set high starting bids or buy-it-nows to guard against low finishing bids.

Are the gold auctions like that?

NO. If I'm bidding on a lot, I could care less what the seller will incur in fees. Competition for physical is driving Ebay prices.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals