Pulled the Pin

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Pulled the Pin

Postby beauanderos » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:21 pm

I decided to practice what I've been preaching. Lately I've been giving a lot of credibility to the idea that our bank accounts could get Cyprussed, our 401K's become forced into buying treasuries, our IRA's taken or withdrawals taxed at confiscatory rates.

Well... they can't take what I don't have. Made the transfer today to close out my last 401K (closed another one and three IRA's last week). As of tomorrow I am no longer a part of the paper system. Fiat? Oh... that? Sorry... but it's at the bottom of the lake. :lol: You other guys can fight over who gets the last chair when the music stops playing :D

I may be early to the party, but this way the entire tray of horse devours is untouched. :mrgreen:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Pulled the Pin

Postby CtrlAltBernanke » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:19 pm

Good for you!!! I did that about a month ago. Might as well do it when the DOW is around a all time high. It took about six months to sell it to my wife.
CtrlAltBernanke
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:34 pm

Well, I'm pouring even more money into the equities market. I still believe :) And it's done pretty well for me.

Right now is a great time if you believe :) There are a lot of good companies with really favorable P/E ratios and silver/gold ETF's are looking good also.
barrytrot

Postby Copper Catcher » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:09 pm

While I don't fault you for going for it. But the way I see it if Uncle Sam wants it, he is going to get it one way or another! :( You can run but you can't hide. Death and taxes are here to stay. :thumbdown:
Copper Catcher

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:15 pm

i still have bank accts and some stocks but got out of IRAs several years ago.

make sure you look at your estimated tax obligation.

if its any consolotion, most of those taxes you were going to have to pay anyway. you acclerated teh tax event and locked in teh current, likely lower, rates. its only the 10% penalty that is incremental.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:58 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:i still have bank accts and some stocks but got out of IRAs several years ago.

make sure you look at your estimated tax obligation.

if its any consolotion, most of those taxes you were going to have to pay anyway. you acclerated teh tax event and locked in teh current, likely lower, rates. its only the 10% penalty that is incremental.

I'm 62, so no prepayment penalty. I don't mind paying the taxes... just what they're spent on :roll:
beauanderos

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:38 pm

That's awesome Ray. Good for you. Even paying the penalty would've been worth it compared to what people can lose in a bad economy. No wonder all the prices on 90% are up on eBay....Ray is running up all the prices!!!

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:39 am

beauanderos wrote:I decided to practice what I've been preaching. Lately I've been giving a lot of credibility to the idea that our bank accounts could get Cyprussed, our 401K's become forced into buying treasuries, our IRA's taken or withdrawals taxed at confiscatory rates.

Well... they can't take what I don't have. Made the transfer today to close out my last 401K (closed another one and three IRA's last week). As of tomorrow I am no longer a part of the paper system. Fiat? Oh... that? Sorry... but it's at the bottom of the lake. :lol: You other guys can fight over who gets the last chair when the music stops playing :D

I may be early to the party, but this way the entire tray of horse devours is untouched. :mrgreen:

smart move, never fade your instinct
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:52 am

barrytrot wrote:Well, I'm pouring even more money into the equities market. I still believe :) And it's done pretty well for me.

Right now is a great time if you believe :) There are a lot of good companies with really favorable P/E ratios and silver/gold ETF's are looking good also.

oh Barry, I DO hope this works out well for you...I REALLY do, my chief concern is that TRUTH has fled the land, therefore, such attributes as P/E ratios are predicated on BELIEVING what has been submitted about said companies...or the reported holdings of this or that gold/silver ETF is indeed the truth....and from what I've witnessed and read, truth is elusive, therefore anything reported by any corporate or government entity is patently UNTRUE....I don't write that to "argue", but to warn. Wealth "accumulation" is great, Wealth "preservation" is EVERYTHING, and in the coming months and years, the latter attribute will be the only sound course.

Good luck. (shudder)
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:20 pm

Yay on pulling the pin! I sure wish that I could.... :thumbdown:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rosco » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:02 pm

Married 52 years small stack budget getting tighter :wave: small stack :shh:
an did I say married 52 Years :D
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon May 13, 2013 2:47 pm

beauanderos

Postby Copper Member » Mon May 13, 2013 5:17 pm

Good for you Ray.I too have been trying to add to my stack, but finding it hard to add at these low prices without premiums. I managed to and a nifty Pamp Suisse 100 gr gold. Since the price has taken a downturn, I find less people coming in to sell their scrap. Wonder if other shops are experiencing this as well?
check me out on facebook Lake's Coin's and Militaria
Copper Member
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals