How can one stack silver with these crazy premiums?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: How can one stack silver with these crazy premiums?

Postby messymessy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:31 pm

xippi wrote:Ebay bucks are expiring in 4 days. :shifty: Use em or loose em. :?

Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to try and buy a little bit of that over priced 90%.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rulesforrebels » Wed May 01, 2013 1:13 pm

its crazy even coin shops in my area are buying at 3.50 over spot for even the new 2013 silver eagles. fortunately for me i got an in with a dealer at a good rate so im buying green mega boxes of 500 and bringing them to the coin shops every few days.
Free Lists Of Upcomming Storage Auctions For All 50 States
http://freestorageauctionlists.blogspot.com
rulesforrebels

Postby jmaii » Wed May 01, 2013 1:55 pm

I haven't been buying silver for that long but it's become very clear to me that there's one way to stack silver at reasonable premiums: build relationships with dealers.

I set soft limits before I go out. I'll look at a site like jmbullion.com or apmex.com and pretend I'm placing an order. So if I were to got out today I would pretend to buy $500 shipped/insured of silver from jmbullion, which right now would be about $27 for generic silver and about $31 for eagles (yikes!). With those numbers in mind I visit the stores that I've scouted to find helpful staff and good prices).

There is a domestic coin dealer a few towns away that sold me some Marshall Islands 1oz silver coins for $1 over spot and even rounded down the cents (spot was $23.30 and I got the coins for $24). He only really deals in domestic coins and popular bullion, so he was going to send it to melt otherwise. The rest of his stuff is a bit too pricey, but it's always worth a trip on my way someplace else. I met the owner and he even welcomed me to call him if I wanted to check if he had any "melt silver" on hand. :)

A little ways past that coin dealer is a medium sized retail jewelry store that has a "we buy gold and silver" sign in the window. I was beginning to get discouraged because I had just scouted ten stores and best offer for eagles was $8 over spot (nearly 40%) and rounds were $4 over spot (nearly 20%). This store, however, had very nice staff who brought me a whole box of eagles and rounds/bars for me to peruse. They sold me eagles for less than $4 over spot and rounds at less than $3 over spot. We chatted for a while as I looked through the silver, mentioned that I'm collecting silver as an investment for my son, and one employee realized his best friend lives on my street. I will definitely be back to that jeweler, and only partly because it has Qdoba next door. :P

So spend a weekend or two on a road trip, visiting local coin dealers, jewelry stores, pawn stores, and cash for gold shops. When you find a place you like make a note to visit/call every so often.
"Silver and gold, silver and gold / Everyone wishes for silver and gold.
How do you measure it's worth? / Just by the pleasure it gives here on Earth."
-- Sam the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
jmaii
Penny Sorter Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals