Can I transport my bullion/coins when I fly?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Can I transport my bullion/coins when I fly?

Postby HPMBTT » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:02 am

Periodically, I go out-of-state for business and I'm gone for a good bit of time in the new state. I have been thinking about bringing my (small) collection with me in my laptop bag and the usual permitted one carry-on, weight permitting. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on flying (domestic) with your collection? I don't have that much, really. Two (2) small 1 foot by 4 inch by 4 inch high plastic boxes that weigh less than 10 pounds, and with very little actual silver. Mostly sorting equipment or plastic tubes that are not yet full etc, as well as maybe 20 white basic slabs for the decent coins that were found while sorting. Again, very basic stuff here.

Key Questions:

1. What will the TSA not permit? Example: anything to 'pick' or clean your coins with is probably not allowed. Maybe no gram/weight scale or batteries. I would think rolls of US coin should not be a problem. I would imagine going through security will be a pain, as they will look at me a lot more closely. Comments are appreciated.

2. Airlines. Is there anything the airlines will not allow?

3. MOST importantly, I have my typical (5) Dansco folders, which I do NOT want to let out of my sight, nor put them in checked baggage below the plane for obvious reasons (ie theft). I've spent WAY too many hours upgrading and trying to get a really good set (pennies, nickels, halves, wheats ). Total weight maybe only 10 pounds. Of course, I could send all of this registered mail before my flight and insure it so that they have to pay for it if they lose it. Still, I'm really hesitant, especially with the really good quality albums. How would you take your Dansco albums with you to your destination?

4. Silver/gold in very small amounts. Any particulars on flying with this? Example: 5-10 oz silver and maybe 1-2 oz gold.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Can I transport my bullion/coins when I fly?

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:27 am

I have flown with a quarter pound of pennies, a bunch of nickels, and 8 oz. silver bullion rounds in my carry on with no problems.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby mauk13r » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:00 am

I've flown with rolls of quarters, pennies, and other denominations with no problem.
mauk13r
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Nickelmeister » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:05 am

After visiting a refinery in Toronto with Daniel recently, I flew home (domestically) with 4 kilos of gold and a 100 oz silver bar in my carry-on bag :)
The initial security guard hauled me into a private booth and began to have a fit, but luckily the supervisor on duty was of East Indian persuasion.
He pointed to the exit and simply said "Go." I could have sworn he gave me a wink.

Travelling domestically in Canada with any amount of coin/jewellery and/or bullion is not an issue. But the TSA is nuts so who knows.
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby TXBullion » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:32 am

Nickelmeister wrote:After visiting a refinery in Toronto with Daniel recently, I flew home (domestically) with 4 kilos of gold and a 100 oz silver bar in my carry-on bag :)
The initial security guard hauled me into a private booth and began to have a fit, but luckily the supervisor on duty was of East Indian persuasion.
He pointed to the exit and simply said "Go." I could have sworn he gave me a wink.

Travelling domestically in Canada with any amount of coin/jewellery and/or bullion is not an issue. But the TSA is nuts so who knows.

:mrgreen: Thats a nice travel perk
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby chris6084 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:51 am

There is not a limit on how much coin you bring, but if you have a lot, expect a search at security. I had a large ziploc bag of halves that got me a search once. I also frequently have a full box of coin in my carry on as well. When I have a box, I just take it out of my carryon and put it in the bin with my keys, etc. This way they glace at it, maybe test it for explosives, but they leave my bags alone.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby slickeast » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:52 am

Nickelmeister wrote:After visiting a refinery in Toronto with Daniel recently, I flew home (domestically) with 4 kilos of gold and a 100 oz silver bar in my carry-on bag :)

With $200,000 in gold and silver in a carry on, I would not let it out of my sight for a second.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby HPMBTT » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:57 am

Damn...200 Grand?? My my...good thing they didn't stop you. Although I'm sure that you would have shown some sort of paperwork etc.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Devil Soundwave » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:14 pm

Question removed due to being none of my damn business. :)
Last edited by Devil Soundwave on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scotsman in residence...

The bankers rubbed their palms together, and the economy went up in flames.

"If the government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have." Gerald Ford.
Devil Soundwave
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:47 pm

Nickelmeister was nice enough to share his story with us lets not poke and prod into his personal and business life....

There is no law against flying with bullion. They will have to search/look at your bags to see what it is, since they can't scan through it, but there is no reason why they shouldn't let you go.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:48 pm

I've carried a three-ring binder full of gold and silver coins through the airport before. They wanted to see it just because it looked like a bunch of metal but it was not much hassle. The guy goes, "are you a dealer?"
"No just a collector"
"OK, I just had to take a look cause I couldn't tell what it was."

Unless you are leaving the country, in which case you might have to declare stuff over $10k, it shouldn't be a problem.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Also I traveled to Europe with a bunch of forex coins on two occasions. One time to Germany with a few hundred D-marks and one time to Spain with a few thousand Pesetas. No issues.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:47 pm

I have flown to mexico twice with several thousand peso's and had no issues. I forget about that untill AM mention his forex metals :)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby slickeast » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:52 pm

highroller4321 wrote:I have flown to mexico twice with several thousand peso's and had no issues. I forget about that untill AM mention his forex metals :)

10,000 Pesos is ONLY $817 U.S.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby .02FYI » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:31 pm

Remember 20 dollars is .9675 au aprox so 4 kilos was near $2,658 in gold dollars . USA , sure carry your Au/ Ag but keep it under 500 oz as the carry on would be quite heavey top put in overhead bin.
.02FYI
Penny Pincher Member

Postby coppernickel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:30 pm

When on business trips I would do a bit of sorting. I learned more than one roll together would make security look in the bag, but if you disperse them through the bag they sail through well.
Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
coppernickel
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby marhjan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:29 pm

Large quantities of coin will always get you a cursory questioning - but I have always just said, 'It's coins.' They take a quick look and let you go. There really shouldn't be any paperwork necessary unless you are carrying over $10,000 USD face value. Which would of course be A LOT of coins.
There's no government like NO GOVERNMENT!

http://www.bitcoinplus.com/generate?for=818142 - if you just want to be nice ;-)
marhjan

Postby jasmatk » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:32 pm

you cant hurt anyone w/ PMs :shock: :shock: :shock:
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby jasmatk » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:35 pm

.02FYI wrote:Remember 20 dollars is .9675 au aprox so 4 kilos was near $2,658 in gold dollars . USA , sure carry your Au/ Ag but keep it under 500 oz as the carry on would be quite heavey top put in overhead bin.

500 oz is only 31 lbs
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:15 pm

slickeast wrote:
highroller4321 wrote:I have flown to mexico twice with several thousand peso's and had no issues. I forget about that untill AM mention his forex metals :)

10,000 Pesos is ONLY $817 U.S.

And he lived like a king for a month on it one corona at a time 8-)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby traderchowder » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:46 pm

One time I flew with a roll of Kennedy halves and a bunch of copper pennies/proof sets. The TSA folks did pull me aside and go through my box. They didn't seem to know what they were looking at but were curious. I explained it was from my coin collection when I was a child and my parents wanted me to clear my stuff out of their house. They had no problems with it and I went on my way.
traderchowder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals