FREE silver to check out.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

FREE silver to check out.

Postby Z00 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:04 pm

I just won one of this guy's auctions for some 1 gram stuff:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/tomsmith196012/ ... rue&_sop=1

He has a pretty good rating even though it is chinese stuff. Now I want to send a couple of them to someone that can test them for validity.
MH or someone want them for free and report on them?
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: FREE silver to check out.

Postby baggerman » Thu May 02, 2013 6:55 pm

Cut one in half, that should tell you pretty quick I would think.
baggerman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu May 02, 2013 9:51 pm

if this stuff is from China... you better believe it is FAKE
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby natsb88 » Thu May 02, 2013 9:54 pm

Actually a lot of the 1 gram silver pieces come from China and are completely fine. China can make real stuff just as well as they can make fake stuff. I don't know anything about this particular seller though.
natsb88

Postby justoneguy » Thu May 02, 2013 10:40 pm

10 grams.jpg
10 grams.jpg (28.2 KiB) Viewed 411 times

This is a 10 gram bar??
my 10 oz bar is smaller, at least haf as small
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Z00 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:57 am

I would like to see a section of this forum dedicated to a comprehensive analysis of different suppliers. With a separate heading for each supplier so that members can post comments on their experiences. In this case, with a new unknown feebay seller, I am paying for the item and paying to ship it to someone with the equipment to verify it's content. The results would then be posted in the sellers comment section.

If this is too much to add to the existing forum layout, I am willing to host such a thing on my server space.

This type of thing would be of great benefit to new stackers and give us a place to point them to rather than answering the repeated questions that come up.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri May 03, 2013 5:26 am

Z00 wrote:I would like to see a section of this forum dedicated to a comprehensive analysis of different suppliers. With a separate heading for each supplier so that members can post comments on their experiences. In this case, with a new unknown feebay seller, I am paying for the item and paying to ship it to someone with the equipment to verify it's content. The results would then be posted in the sellers comment section.

If this is too much to add to the existing forum layout, I am willing to host such a thing on my server space.

This type of thing would be of great benefit to new stackers and give us a place to point them to rather than answering the repeated questions that come up.

+1 :thumbup: good idea. Could be like the subsection devoted to counterfeits.
beauanderos

Postby Z00 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:54 am

beauanderos wrote:+1 :thumbup: good idea. Could be like the subsection devoted to counterfeits.

Wel I guess you and I are the only one's who would like to see this type of database.

Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rastatodd » Sat May 04, 2013 8:12 am

Z00 wrote:I would like to see a section of this forum dedicated to a comprehensive analysis of different suppliers. With a separate heading for each supplier so that members can post comments on their experiences. In this case, with a new unknown feebay seller, I am paying for the item and paying to ship it to someone with the equipment to verify it's content. The results would then be posted in the sellers comment section.

What Zoo is trying to do would benefit us all, and would help to put my mind at ease to some of the purchases of precious metals I make. I was watching an episode of "Hardcore Pawn" were Seth wanted his father to invest in a analyzer that could immediately tell you the metal composition of any one piece of metal at an instants. The device was quite costly. Would be nice if one of our members would offer his/hers services if they might have access to one. :thumbup:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sat May 04, 2013 11:52 am

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-X-1-Grams-Uncut-999-Fine-Silver-Bars-SB063-/370809006209?pt=Bullion_US&hash=item5655f06881
This bar looks very fake to me. There is too much space around the bars if they were cut left over.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Cent1225 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:22 pm

Having purchased (and luckily able to return) fake Engelhard Prospectors and Stagecoach bar, they both have that "Mirror" background finish and that "Frosted" raised finished.
Also, they are lacking any real "details" such as fine lines or small details(stars, nuggets, etc.)
I don't trust anything that looks like this anymore(Mirror background/frosted raised details).
If you get one, rub the edge on a whetstone, you will see the copper base metal on the stone and you can see it on the scratched area with a loupe.
Also, the weights and sometimes the sizes will be off.
Cent1225
Penny Collector Member

Postby Z00 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:03 pm

blackrabbit wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-X-1-Grams-Uncut-999-Fine-Silver-Bars-SB063-/370809006209?pt=Bullion_US&hash=item5655f06881
This bar looks very fake to me. There is too much space around the bars if they were cut left over.

He is referring to the holders being uncut not the bars. Anyway I have some on the way. We'll see

Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Numis Pam » Sat May 04, 2013 4:18 pm

Z00 wrote:
beauanderos wrote:+1 :thumbup: good idea. Could be like the subsection devoted to counterfeits.

Wel I guess you and I are the only one's who would like to see this type of database.

Zoo, I think it is a good idea too... :clap:
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat May 04, 2013 4:27 pm

justoneguy wrote:
10 grams.jpg

This is a 10 gram bar??
my 10 oz bar is smaller, at least haf as small

maybe it's 10 grams of .999 plated over an alloy? This would actually be even harder to detect fakery if that were the case. You would know the core was different, but the surface would be silver... only how many mils did you say that was? Can you tell the difference between one mil and five, or ten?
beauanderos

Postby SoFa » Sun May 05, 2013 2:12 pm

Z00 wrote:

It's a great idea. But it's a matter of someone having the expensive equipment.

Most of us already know not to buy a chintzy bar from China even if it might be real. So I don't know if they really need to be tested.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby Z00 » Sun May 05, 2013 3:12 pm

As Nate pointed out, there are some good things that DO come out of China. The whole idea is to identify who the good suppliers are. Their stuff many times goes for less than comparable stuff from other areas due to the avoidance.

Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals