Gold plated coins

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Gold plated coins

Postby Rob72830 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:58 am

While watching the HSN channel last night they were selling a set of gold plated statehood quarters. Got me to thinking, "Would these coins be worth anything in a SHTF situation?" Seems like the gold plate would be worth at least 25 cents which would make them worth something in trade. And to a lessor extent, all of those mini gold coins that proliferate ebay. Right now all I can afford is some fractional silver rounds (mostly 1/10th oz) but I really would like to put some gold in there and thought gold plated coins could be a good way to go. I would appreciate everyones opinion. Thank you

Robert
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Gold plated coins

Postby Z00 » Sat May 04, 2013 8:53 am

"GOLD PLATED" Is a come-on that many use to try and add value. Basically the layer is so thin that the increase in value is nothing. It is only a cosmetic thing and actually destroys the potential collectible value of a coin. Avoid it unless you just like "shiny" stuff.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby CtrlAltBernanke » Sat May 04, 2013 9:04 am

In my opinion the only reason to have a stash of gold plated coins is to have them as a decoy if you get robbed. Thieves are usually dumb so if the see some sort of gold then they will just take it and move on.
CtrlAltBernanke
Penny Collector Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sat May 04, 2013 11:31 am

Well if you can buy a gold plated quarter for a quarter then go for it. If you pay much more than that you are probably getting your brain mushy from too much TV and the Home Shopping Channel.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Rob72830 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:22 pm

Thanks guys for the input. I don't usually watch shopping channels but last night I couldn't sleep so I started watching TV and while flipping thru channels I came across HSN selling coins. When they brought out the plated quarters that's when it hit me. Anyway I won't be buying any gold plated quarters. I'll just stick to my silver rounds. Per cost the 1/10th round isn't much more than (1) plated quarter.

CtrlAltBernanke wrote:In my opinion the only reason to have a stash of gold plated coins is to have them as a decoy if you get robbed. Thieves are usually dumb so if the see some sort of gold then they will just take it and move on.

I think that is a great idea. A decoy. I like that idea. Keep a bunch of worthless gold so if you get robbed they don't get the real stuff. Make the worthless stuff easy to find so they don't look for the real stuff. Now to figure out the logistics so I don't have to spend too much. :lol:
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Z00 » Sat May 04, 2013 3:19 pm

Most of us have a "diversion" box of nice bright shiny junk that a would be crook will find and think they have the mother lode. I even have a few of the chinese made Morgan's in mine. Of course I have a list of all the fakes so I can give it to the cops to hand around to the pawn shops. Would love to be a fly on the wall when they try to get anything for the junk.

Can you see the look on the cop's face when I explain that there was a robbery and they got all counterfeit stuff?

EDIT:
Sheesh... I just had a thought... the fireproof box is probably worth more than the shiny contents. LOL
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sun May 05, 2013 4:05 am

One of those news programs tested how much gold plate was on those quarters a while back. The result?

It only had 25 cents worth of GP on it.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rob72830 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:32 am

Thanks for the info. So in this day and time they aren't worth it, unless gold goes to 10 grand an ounce. Think I will pass on the plated quarters and stick with the silver rounds.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby henrysmedford » Sun May 05, 2013 10:03 am

At the local coin shop they give them out for change. I asked were they get them and was told when the widow cashes in the late husbands coins in a lot that part of it is just worth face so they give it out as change.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:51 pm

If you really want them, buy a rock tumbler to clean the coins and you can buy bottles of gold dip that will coat the coins. What you get will be a conversation piece only as the numi value has been destroyed.

http://www.taylorgifts.com/item/instant_gold_dip/31287

Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Kurr » Sun May 05, 2013 2:42 pm

I once read that an ounce of gold was enough to plate 14,000 pairs of earrings. Not much AU on plated items, that really put it in perspective for me.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby frugi » Mon May 06, 2013 9:25 am

Z00 wrote:Can you see the look on the cop's face when I explain that there was a robbery and they got all counterfeit stuff?

It would be wise to use the word "replica" stuff instead of "counterfeit" stuff. As "knowingly possessing" counterfeit coins is a crime, and at the very least you would possibly pave the way to a visit from the Secret Service, or even be served with a search warrant and have all of your genuine stuff confiscated. tread softly and choose your words carefully if you ever are speaking with law enforcement. You dont want to incriminate yourself. :thumbdown:
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Verbane » Mon May 06, 2013 2:52 pm

Rob72830 wrote:Thanks for the info. So in this day and time they aren't worth it, unless gold goes to 10 grand an ounce. Think I will pass on the plated quarters and stick with the silver rounds.

Avoid these In ANY day and time, not just THIS day and time.
The famous $50.00 gold buffalo replicas, as seen on TV. The ad states that these contain 14mg .999 24k pure gold (I highly doubt theres that much gold plating on these).
Spot = $1470.00 / 31.1grams = $47.26 * .014g = 66 cents
- If/When Au goes to 10K-
Spot = $10,000.00 / 31.1 = $321.54 * .014g = $4.50

- THE GOOD NEWS! -
For some affordable certified gold, check out IGR 0.5g .999 LMBA Certified gold bars. Premiums are not outrageous on these at the moment. Selling for about $30.00 and under, with a melt value of $23.60.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-5-G-GRAM-999-9-24K-GOLD-BULLION-BAR-LMBA-CERTIFICATE-COA-/111067859073#ht_1380wt_1191
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby uthminsta » Mon May 06, 2013 3:22 pm

cesariojpn wrote:One of those news programs tested how much gold plate was on those quarters a while back. The result? It only had 25 cents worth of GP on it.

This would mean that if they are found while silver searching, they're worth keeping? RIGHT? Who does? Who doesn't?
uthminsta

Postby pennypanner » Mon May 06, 2013 3:35 pm

Z00 wrote:Most of us have a "diversion" box of nice bright shiny junk that a would be crook will find and think they have the mother lode. I even have a few of the chinese made Morgan's in mine. Of course I have a list of all the fakes so I can give it to the cops to hand around to the pawn shops. Would love to be a fly on the wall when they try to get anything for the junk.

Can you see the look on the cop's face when I explain that there was a robbery and they got all counterfeit stuff?

EDIT:
Sheesh... I just had a thought... the fireproof box is probably worth more than the shiny contents. LOL

I'm curious as to what the cops say when you tell them you had counterfeit coins. They're against the law to posess you know.
pennypanner

Postby tedandcam » Mon May 06, 2013 7:17 pm

pennypanner wrote:
Z00 wrote:Most of us have a "diversion" box of nice bright shiny junk that a would be crook will find and think they have the mother lode. I even have a few of the chinese made Morgan's in mine. Of course I have a list of all the fakes so I can give it to the cops to hand around to the pawn shops. Would love to be a fly on the wall when they try to get anything for the junk.

EDIT:

I'm curious as to what the cops say when you tell them you had counterfeit coins. They're against the law to posess you know.

The only thing counterfeit would be the fake Morgans. all the other shiny stuff is the stuff that is legally sold ( as long as it made to look like any US Gubbermint issued coinage). Good stuff for a diversion "box" or diversion "safe". And do we really think the SS is gonna come down on someone for this act when people are on CL and Ebay selling real counterfeit stuff knowingly!? And getting away with it as long as they return the money to the victim. I would be shocked if the was any questioning the victim let alone an SS investigation. See "Counterfeit Detection and Discussion" at the top of the page for "Silver, Gold, Bullion..." forum. Some of the stories there will kill any idea of SS coming down on you. And I guess if they did, all you would have to do is tell them to bring you the thieves and you will be happy to replace it with genuine real stuff, and then they can arrest their butts! :lol:
tedandcam
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Mon May 06, 2013 11:02 pm

uthminsta wrote:
cesariojpn wrote:One of those news programs tested how much gold plate was on those quarters a while back. The result? It only had 25 cents worth of GP on it.

This would mean that if they are found while silver searching, they're worth keeping? RIGHT? Who does? Who doesn't?

Recovering the gold would far be economically infeasible, even if you had a vast quantity of them.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Mon May 06, 2013 11:46 pm

cesariojpn wrote:
uthminsta wrote:

Recovering the gold would far be economically infeasible, even if you had a vast quantity of them.

But if they're quarters, and they have 25 cents worth of gold on them, wouldn't they have an intrinsic value of about 29-30 cents? We're not talking about melting, just as we don't melt the copper cents we save.
uthminsta

Postby cesariojpn » Tue May 07, 2013 4:12 am

uthminsta wrote:But if they're quarters, and they have 25 cents worth of gold on them, wouldn't they have an intrinsic value of about 29-30 cents? We're not talking about melting, just as we don't melt the copper cents we save.

Removing the GP from the quarters is the key. Chemical solutions alone would decimate the miniscule amount of gold value.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby uthminsta » Tue May 07, 2013 1:07 pm

again, i'm not talking about removing it. just the intrinsic value.
uthminsta

Postby frugi » Tue May 07, 2013 3:43 pm

uthminsta wrote:again, i'm not talking about removing it. just the intrinsic value.

no. there is so little gold on these things it is funny. Six or so years ago I was the high bidder in a live auction for $100.00 in face of these ( I won the whole lot for $80.00). They were in hard plastic round coin holders, each were the Delaware issues in a special linen box, with room for additional quarters as they were issued. I took one out of the holders and carried it around by itself in my pocket to spend for fun. Within 24 hours of rubbing against the linen of my pocket some of the "gold" had worn off, and you could see the CuNi underneath. I believe that these are electroplated, which has a far less amount of gold than something marked gold plated.
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals