Should I buy Yen?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Should I buy Yen?

Postby scyther » Thu May 09, 2013 5:05 pm

It's fallen a lot, and I know it's traditionally been a rather hard currency. Perhaps the Japanese will not tolerate much more of this inflation. Should I buy me some yens?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Should I buy Yen?

Postby Thogey » Thu May 09, 2013 5:31 pm

No.

They are fixin to print a mess of yen and do reflation.

Will they print it faster that we are?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby inflationhawk » Thu May 09, 2013 5:35 pm

By comparison, they are printing it far faster than us. Yen will sink.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fasteddy » Thu May 09, 2013 6:27 pm

They are going into the crapper...stay clear of that mess.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby Ecotic » Thu May 09, 2013 7:50 pm

No, I really wouldn't. After years of deflation and Japanese companies being devastated by a strong yen killing their exports the Japanese government has announced a very aggressive inflation policy. It's been dubbed "Abenomics".

If you want to take advantage of this I would recommend buying the stock of Japanese companies set to benefit from this policy.
Ecotic
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu May 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Short Yen/ Go long Yuan
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby CtrlAltBernanke » Thu May 09, 2013 8:20 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:Short Yen/ Go long Yuan

^^^^What he said.
CtrlAltBernanke
Penny Collector Member

Postby inflationhawk » Thu May 09, 2013 9:16 pm

Ticker DXJ - long Japan stocks with a currency hedge. Nice combo.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby bgretz1989 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:16 pm

inflationhawk wrote:By comparison, they are printing it far faster than us. Yen will sink.

The government has excepted this as a challenge! :lol: The US doesn't like competition
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Postby scyther » Thu May 09, 2013 10:22 pm

Ecotic wrote:No, I really wouldn't. After years of deflation and Japanese companies being devastated by a strong yen killing their exports the Japanese government has announced a very aggressive inflation policy. It's been dubbed "Abenomics".

If you want to take advantage of this I would recommend buying the stock of Japanese companies set to benefit from this policy.

That's what I'm thinking though- Japan has seen deflation for a long time, and I'm not sure it's wise to expect things to change so quickly. I know they're pursuing an inflationary policy right now, but Japan's government has tried to weaken the currency before many times and not gotten results. This time seems to be different, but is it really?

As for investing in stock, that would have payed off handsomely if I had done it before the inflation started, but I know Japanese stocks have already risen a lot. I'm not sure they'll go much higher, and of course they have lower to fall now than before.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu May 09, 2013 10:38 pm

It will quickly become obvious that there is no way Japan can pay back her sovereign debt. She will not be able to borrow money at low interest rates. The result will be a massive default. All her paper will burn up like a moth in a bug-zapper. If you love Japan like I do, you have to mourn for her. This game of musical chairs is almost over.

Japan is already printing more than half of her annual budget. With a rapidly aging population and a dash of xenophobia, there is no readily apparent solution.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Fri May 10, 2013 12:19 am

shinnosuke wrote:It will quickly become obvious that there is no way Japan can pay back her sovereign debt. She will not be able to borrow money at low interest rates. The result will be a massive default. All her paper will burn up like a moth in a bug-zapper. If you love Japan like I do, you have to mourn for her. This game of musical chairs is almost over.

Japan is already printing more than half of her annual budget. With a rapidly aging population and a dash of xenophobia, there is no readily apparent solution.

About two hours after I posted the above, my favorite gloom and doom page posts this:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-05-1 ... t-day-5-ye
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Sun May 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Didn't Abe over in Japan say he wanted to inflate the currency enough to drive the Nikkei to 30,000? Ballsy but hey, at least he ain't lying.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby InfleXion » Tue May 14, 2013 1:03 am

They are doubling their money supply. As a function of GDP they are printing more than the Fed. China is not buying from Japan because of their island dispute. Steer clear. Stick with money that can't be devalued, good old gold and silver. :thumbup:
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals