Bicentennial Half dollar error?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bicentennial Half dollar error?

Postby palmvtree » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:48 pm

Good evening everyone. This is my first post on this site but I have enjoyed reading all of the insightful things that everyone shares for years. Dump bank concepts, silver vs. copper discussion, I could go on...plus coin collectors are by far the nicest of people. I do have a question about half dollar coins that some of you may have come across? Has anyone ever seen a bicentennial half dollar with a normal obverse (1776-1976 date) but with a normal clad coin reverse. The reverse of the coin I came across in circulation has the herald eagle reverse instead of the normal image of Independence Hall. Also, when you hold the coin straight up and down looking at the obverse and flip it across the top, the head of the herald eagle points to 10 o clock. My first thought is that it is a fake based on the weight and position of the eagle but it looks like a real half? Any idea if this is an error coin that has been valued in the past or maybe just a magic coin that is used for something other than getting me slightly excited this evening? I did a quick Google search but did not come across anything that caught my eye and nothing within my coin book. Thanks to the info and God Bless America!
palmvtree

Re: Bicentennial Half dollar error?

Postby jtlee321 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:15 am

It definitely sounds like a magicians coin. I suspect that it is probably hollowed out and can be opened up to hold something inside. The Bi-Centennials were minted for two years and I highly doubt that any were accidentally minted with the wrong back. You say it weighs differently, I would suspect that it is lighter? Take it into a coin shop and they will probably show you how to open it up.
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby Corsair » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:24 am

I've heard that dropping it repeatedly on a wood surface helps to open it up if it is a magician's coin.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby jasmatk » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:46 pm

try to stick a magnet to it they make steel cored halves for magic tricks they sell for $24 on this site http://www.roykueppers.com/othercoins.html if no go with the magnet put it between your fingers and try to slide the obverse and reverse in different directions see if it opens
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:16 pm

I have found quite a few magic halves

Does it give a "thud" sound when you hit it against other halves? If it does, it is probably one.

If you give them a good drop against the floor face down, they usually pop open. I have found the Mexican 20 Centavo and the Large British Penny versions.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby palmvtree » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Thank you everyone for the replies. It was a hollowed out coin that is very well made (1967 english penny on the trick side). After many attempts, my 6 year old finally got it open. It isn't an error, but at least I have a new trick for the next family outing...just have to research it and learn it. Almost as good as finding silver!!
palmvtree

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals