Change the half-dollar?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Change the half-dollar?

Postby scyther » Wed May 15, 2013 7:43 pm

It's been 50 years with the current half-dollar design. Anyone think they might change it in 2014? I know they seem to change the penny every 50 years...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Change the half-dollar?

Postby Silver Runner » Wed May 15, 2013 8:51 pm

I doubt there will be a design change to the half dollar anytime soon. The half dollar is no longer minted for circulation (so there would be no push by the mint or the populace to change designs) and the baby boomer generation who adored JFK would probably oppose any possible change.

Just my 2 cents.
Silver Runner
Penny Pincher Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Wed May 15, 2013 9:21 pm

Other than the seniorage I wouldn't be surprised if in the future they phase out the half dollar
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby henrysmedford » Wed May 15, 2013 9:26 pm

Mint may sell 2014 Kennedy half dollar set
By Paul Gilkes | 04-22-13
Article first published in April-2013, U.S. Collectibles section of Coin World
The United States Mint has under consideration six different multicoin options to mark the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy half dollar in 2014.
Among the possibilities, from which two options could be selected, is a four-coin set containing Reverse Proof 2014 90 percent silver half dollars struck at each of the four production facilities, in Philadelphia, San Francisco, Denver and West Point.
Mint officials are also considering a second four-coin option, two three-coin options and two two-coin options.
All the ideas suggested would include an informational booklet tracing the history of the Kennedy half dollar, which was authorized by Congress slightly more than a month after the Nov. 22, 1963, assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
The four-coin set is one of several options referenced in a Kennedy Half Dollar Special Set Survey launched April 11 by the U.S. Mint’s internal market research team in conjunction with the Mint’s research partner, National Analysts Worldwide, headquartered in Philadelphia.
Under consideration
Tom Jurkowsky, the U.S. Mint’s director of the Office of Public Affairs, said April 18 that the survey is being conducted among both customers and noncustomers to obtain feedback about several Kennedy half dollar set options under consideration.
“The options ... are just that — options that we are researching in an effort to get feedback,” Jurkowsky said. “There’s no guarantee, of course, that any of these would interest customers. We are contemplating on producing two sets — high-end and low-end — with various coin combinations. We really need to see the feedback before we commit ourselves to a given direction.”
In addition to the possible four-coin set of Reverse Proof coins, other options under consideration are:
➤ A four-coin set containing three Proof copper-nickel clad half dollars (one each from the West Point, Philadelphia and Denver Mints) plus one 90 percent silver Reverse Proof half dollar from the San Francisco Mint.
➤ A three-coin set containing one copper-nickel Proof half dollar, one copper-nickel clad Reverse Proof coin, and one copper-nickel clad Uncirculated half dollar. Each would bear a Mint mark (P, D, W or S) reflecting where it is minted, although final decisions on minting locations haven’t yet been made.
➤ A three-coin set containing one 90 percent silver Proof half dollar, one 90 percent silver Reverse Proof coin and one 90 percent silver Uncirculated half dollar. Each would bear a Mint mark (P, D, W or S) reflecting where it is minted, although final decisions on minting locations haven’t yet been made.
➤ A two-coin set featuring one Proof copper-nickel clad half dollar and one Reverse Proof copper-nickel clad half dollar. Each would bear a Mint mark (P, D, W or S) reflecting where it is minted, although final decisions on minting locations haven’t yet been made.
➤ A two-coin set featuring one Proof 90 percent silver half dollar and one Reverse Proof 90 percent silver half dollar. Each would bear a Mint mark (P, D, W or S) reflecting where it is minted, although final decisions on minting locations haven’t yet been made.
Authorization
Legislation introduced to authorize production of the Kennedy half dollar received congressional approval on Dec. 30, 1963, and was quickly signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson.
Even before the coin was authorized, work was already under way on coinage dies. Contemplating possible production of the Kennedy half dollar, U.S. Mint Director Eva Adams had contacted Chief Engraver Gilroy Roberts about the pending legislation.
For the half dollar obverse, Roberts modified his portrait of Kennedy that the engraver had executed for the Kennedy medal in the Mint’s Presidential Series. Assistant Engraver Frank Gasparro worked on modifications to the reverse of the same medal, featuring the presidential seal, for adaptation on the coin’s reverse.
The quick modifications to existing designs permitted the completion of the first dies on Jan. 2, 1964.
The initial production comprised Proof versions struck at the Philadelphia Mint.
The first Kennedy half dollars intended for circulation were struck in 90 percent silver at the Denver Mint on Jan. 30, 1964.
The Philadelphia Mint began execution of its first production for circulation the following week.
The Treasury Department made the circulating coins available to the public beginning on March 24, 1964. ■

The Kennedy half dollar marks its 50th anniversary in 2014. United States Mint officials are considering several different multicoin set options to mark the milestone.
Images courtesy of HeritageAuctions.com.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Wed May 15, 2013 10:10 pm

Thank you Henry!!!

indeed! here's the one i want----> "A three-coin set containing one 90 percent silver Proof half dollar, one 90 percent silver Reverse Proof coin and one 90 percent silver Uncirculated half dollar. Each would bear a Mint mark (P, D, W or S) reflecting where it is minted, although final decisions on minting locations haven’t yet been made."

assuming .36 toz, it'd be .08 toz over a zee, so...they'd price it at...?...59.95?

probably 79.95? whadya think?...now that i think about this, i AM going to contact my congressman, and the Mint, maybe the Kennedy Library, and propose a working holiday for me and my son, as they'll probably do "something" on either 30 Jan 2014, or 24 March 2014.

Hopefully at the Kennedy Library, i'll dust off a pair of suits, and off we go,,,that would a good thing to do, as both Jack and Bobby were the LAST elected officials i loved. Jack, the President was the reason i joined the US Navy, and the murder of Bobby, was when i lost all hope....at 8 years of age. Thats too young, to lose hope. why did they do that?...why?

again, thank you Henry....oh sycth....i'm still thankful they havent debased my beloved nickel...that lowly coin is real money.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Thu May 16, 2013 1:32 am

Thanks for the information. I thought if they were going to change it they would've said so by now, but you never know.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Thu May 16, 2013 1:33 am

wheeler_dealer wrote:Other than the seniorage I wouldn't be surprised if in the future they phase out the half dollar

It's already been more or less phased out for circulation purposes. I'm surprised banks still carry them. The government doesn't lose money on it, so as long as people still buy the new ones for collections, they may as well keep making them...
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby jmaii » Thu May 16, 2013 6:09 am

As the “golden" dollar is significantly smaller than the half, I cannot imagine keeping the larger half in circulation. Perhaps a smaller coin that keeps Kennedy on the obverse?
"Silver and gold, silver and gold / Everyone wishes for silver and gold.
How do you measure it's worth? / Just by the pleasure it gives here on Earth."
-- Sam the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
jmaii
Penny Sorter Member

Postby ZenOps » Thu May 16, 2013 6:29 am

It is a circulating coin, just only sold to collectors.

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/in ... #starthere

Even rarer than the Sacagawea and Presidentials. Last year there were about 1,000x more pennies made each year than half dollars or Sacagaweas. Pennies are sometimes minted right around the relative printed rarity of $100 bills.

The demand for US pennies is absolutely incredible if you think about it. But don't worry - they will somehow sneak in the idea that pennies are unloved and a waste of time when it comes to replace them with the $1 eight gram pennies.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Postby PZero » Thu May 16, 2013 4:54 pm

IMO, The half dollar is the only good looking common coin we have in circulation. The others need to be changed before they mess with the half dollar.
PZero

Postby scyther » Thu May 16, 2013 6:13 pm

jmaii wrote:As the “golden" dollar is significantly smaller than the half, I cannot imagine keeping the larger half in circulation. Perhaps a smaller coin that keeps Kennedy on the obverse?

If it was actually in circulation, I would agree. But since no one uses it, I don't think it will be necessary.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Thu May 16, 2013 7:40 pm

06/20/2013 2013 Kennedy Half-Dollar Bags and Rolls [ 2-Roll Set ] $32.95

06/20/2013 2013 Kennedy Half-Dollar Bags and Rolls [ 200-Coin Bags ] $139.95

http://catalog.usmint.gov/webapp/wcs/st ... ogId=10001
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals