What was the spot price of silver when you started stacking

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

<$5
21%
$5-$10
21%
$10-$15
15%
$15-$20
15%
$20-$25
5%
$25-$30
6%
$30-$35
11%
$35-$40
3%
$40-$45
3%
$45+
No votes

Total votes : 87

Postby 68Cougar » Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 pm

I'm curious as to what price point realcent members decided to enter the silver market and I also welcome comments concerning why you decided stacking silver was for you. As for me, I started in 2001 when I became interested in the ASE. It seemed to be a beautiful coin so I got one then another and another... Of course I soon discovered art bars/rounds and 90% "junk". That first coin spawned an addiction. I just lucked up that my addiction would prove profitable :D

The poll has been updated. Please feel free to re-vote.
Last edited by 68Cougar on Fri May 17, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
68Cougar
Penny Sorter Member

Re: What was the spot price of silver when you started stack

Postby fasteddy » Thu May 16, 2013 10:58 pm

1986 with the introduction of the silver eagle. I started buying one ASE a month after I was married in 1987. They stack well and after twenty five years it is quite a stack. Before then it was the commeratives from the mint but only bought what I liked.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Fri May 17, 2013 6:54 am

I answered under $5 which is true (very close to $5, it may have been a bit over $5, not 100% sure). I was buying a lot of mercs at that time :)

But I didn't really have the stacker's mentality until years later. I didn't even know what spot price was I just knew I wanted to pay under $4 delivered per $1 face value of mercs.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Verbane » Fri May 17, 2013 9:53 am

August 2001 Spot was $4.25. First piece added to the stack was a 10oz Engelhard for $60.00 at a coin show. I also bought 40 rounds and bars that day for $5.00-5.50 per ounce from various dealers.

I was between deployments and had a lot of cash on hand. At the time I was single and living in the barracks. Other than my IRA and mutual fund investments, my only monthly expenses were car insurance and Jim Beam.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Fri May 17, 2013 11:18 am

I have bought at slightly under 10 but when I started it was 12. Rounded the bottom in 08 half due to dumb luck, but I had been watching the price since it was $5. It just took me a few years of research to get the conviction.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverflake » Fri May 17, 2013 1:58 pm

I was semi-seriously stacking in the 90's. I remember one day in 1993 I was driving home from work listening to a business station on the radio and they quoted the price of silver at $3.98/ounce. That sticks in my head but as time passes, maybe that was wrong. I was just out of college and broke so my cash was slim but I remember buying rolls of B.U. Kennedy 90% halves for $37/roll. And I remember distinctly (still have the sales slip) buying 5 rolls of mercury dimes from Brooklyn Coin and Stamp gallery for $89 - total - for 5 ROLLS OF MERCS! So there.

Keep stacking.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scyther » Fri May 17, 2013 3:18 pm

Late March 2012, I think it was around $34 an ounce. I think there should have been an option for 40, 45+. I didn't enter at the top, I swear!
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Cougar » Fri May 17, 2013 5:06 pm

scyther wrote:Late March 2012, I think it was around $34 an ounce. I think there should have been an option for 40, 45+. I didn't enter at the top, I swear!

I considered continuing in $5 increments on to 45+ but decided not to based on a hypothesis that has now been shot to hell lol not to mention laziness:) I will see if I can edit it later when I have a bit more time.
68Cougar
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Cougar » Fri May 17, 2013 6:22 pm

I didn't realize all of the previous votes would be erased :(
68Cougar
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri May 17, 2013 8:44 pm

You don't even want to know! Hahaha!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby frugi » Fri May 17, 2013 9:30 pm

for me it was around $3.75/ozt., which was in the mid 1990's. I was half way through high school , and I also remember gas fluctuated between $0.74-$1.25 per gallon. Those were the good old days, thats for sure!
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby aloneibreak » Fri May 17, 2013 11:18 pm

I was busy filling holes in whitman books in late 02 early 03

buying junk silver by the bag, searching for dates then reselling

most of what I bought was around 3.5x face

I got hooked on the sound of silver coins and started filling rolls instead

ase's were going for around $5

unfortunately life happened and most of it left my weak hands :(

don't let these little dips get ya down guys - keep an eye on the big picture and keep stacking whatever you can !
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby SilverDragon72 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:30 pm

I purchased my first ASE in 1999 I believe. I don't remember what the price was back then, but I've been collecting them every year since then.

For a while, the ASE's and the Silver Proof sets were all that I collected. No junk silver, but I did have a 10 ounce JM Matthey Bar and a some Silver 4 ounce currency replicas. Some really cool ones, too.

Sadly, I ended up selling some of my stack back when the price was like 17 per ounce, in order to finance a trip I took to San Antonio. It was fun.

However, during the last year, and especially since discovering the Realcent website, my stack has grown by leaps and bounds, and not just PMs either.....but a few CTU's worth of pennies
and nickels too!

So yes, I've been rather busy adding to the stack diligently, like a little squirrel! :lol:

By the way, having the SWEOT in my possession has only added to my insanity! ;)
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat May 18, 2013 1:01 am

I stacked a few bars around the $5-$10 mark near the beginning of the century. Ouncers. Wish I stacked more. 10 ounce Bars for around $50.......damn.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat May 18, 2013 4:54 am

cesariojpn wrote:I stacked a few bars around the $5-$10 mark near the beginning of the century. Ouncers. Wish I stacked more. 10 ounce Bars for around $50.......damn.

Yeah, I hear ya! If we had only known then what we know now!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby jmaii » Sat May 18, 2013 6:39 am

Just got started in the Spring; spot was a bit over $23.
"Silver and gold, silver and gold / Everyone wishes for silver and gold.
How do you measure it's worth? / Just by the pleasure it gives here on Earth."
-- Sam the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
jmaii
Penny Sorter Member

Postby angel2004 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:09 am

Well I was a very young child in the 1960s and we did keep any and all silver! So I guess you can say at face value! But I didn't buy any until around 3 years ago. I roll search as well at times, so again at face. Now it is nickels turn to save at face! Who knows what will or won't happen but I do it.
angel2004
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scyther » Sat May 18, 2013 11:53 am

angel2004 wrote:Well I was a very young child in the 1960s and we did keep any and all silver! So I guess you can say at face value!

Do you still have it, or did you sell it at some point?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby angel2004 » Sat May 18, 2013 12:01 pm

scyther wrote:
angel2004 wrote:Well I was a very young child in the 1960s and we did keep any and all silver! So I guess you can say at face value!

Do you still have it, or did you sell it at some point?

Still have! Not much, but I kept it since it was kind of sentimental as well since it was one of the things I did with my Dad! He got a roll each of Kennedy halves in 1964 and 1965 from the bank. Still have those as well!
angel2004
Penny Pincher Member

Postby chefdan311 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:32 pm

It was @ 32 when i started a few months back and it started dropping the next week lol
chefdan311

Postby Recyclersteve » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:21 am

It was too late for my vote to be added to the poll, but I thought I'd add my two cents worth. (CORRECTION: My vote did finally get added to the poll- I used the $12+ price instead of the $5+ price because that was the price when I became SERIOUS about stacking) I began stacking a long time ago. I remember buying some silver in late 1995 when silver closed was $5+/oz. But I didn't become a serious stacker until July, 2007 when I made a commitment to either find (for face value) or buy at least some silver every month. In July, 2007 I bought silver when it was $12+ an oz. and have bought some (and sometimes a decent amount) each and every month since then. This included some bad times like 2008-09 when the stock mkt. crashed and 2010 when I was very ill for an extended amount of time. (Also, let me add that I was fortunate enough (I still have the records) to trade all 90% junk silver I had (except the good dates which I saved) on Saturday, January 5, 1980. That turned out to be great timing for silver I'd gotten when the price averaged abt. $3 an oz. I exchanged the silver for five new suits for my first job after graduating from college. How about that for a nice barter?!?)
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:48 am

It was between $8 and $9 when I started. The thing that got me started was this - several years ago, a friend who didn't have internet asked me to look up the spot price of silver. I did and was surprised to see that it was under $10 an ounce. That seemed incredibly cheap to me. I started poking around online and was shocked to see that I could buy beautiful 1 oz silver rounds for just over $10 a piece. I always thought of pms as being a "rich man's game," and it never occurred to me until then to buy some of my own. Which I did, and I haven't looked back since.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby InfleXion » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:12 am

I got my first CML in 1991 and a 64 Kennedy proof around the same time if not sooner, but at the time I was just a coin collector, along with my rock collection, baseball cards (Griffey for president!), Legos, all that kid stuff.

It wasn't until 2008 that I really started stacking, as luck would have it was the bottom at the time (when I realized IOUs are not a solid foundation) so I did get some generic at $10/oz out of pocket but most was a little over $12. I was eyeing silver since it was $5-6 sometime around 2005 which is when I first learned the GSR was way off historical norms (and still is). It just took me a few years to get my conviction which only came with ardent research.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby wheeler_dealer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:56 pm

My first silver was a Beautiful Sesquicentennial half I received for a birthday gift in 1978. I didn't understand why it was worth so much. Thankfully I became curious. I started collecting at face value when I worked collecting (cashier) for a parking garage in 1985. I started buying at $5.00 per ounce and have since (yes all the way to the top at $48.00) I still buy a little but the floor is cracking and I'm worried about a sink hole LOL. My safety deposit box is almost full.
wheeler_dealer
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Well, my stack still grows....just a little slowly these days. I still manage to grab some shiny from time to time.....silver rounds, ASE's and some 90% once in a while. :thumbup:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals