Did you do it?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Did you do it?

Postby scyther » Sun May 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:
scyther wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:Apologize for what and why 6 months? Or, are you suggesting that if the markets reflect a certain price by a certain time then you feel differently about the narrative here?

Cheers!

You said that seeing the price today, you felt that $40-$60 silver was "on the horizon". Which means soon. Which means...? You didn't give a time frame, but 6 months seemed reasonable to me. IF that happens, I will apologize for calling out what seems to me to have been a fantastically wrong prediction. It won't change how I feel about premiums or extortion.

Well unfortunately, what you are saying is similar to the narrative here. I say one thing and it gets twisted into something else to better suit one's agenda.
I did NOT say that silver at $40-60 was "on the horizon". What I did say was this- "I feel comfortable with the idea of $40-60 silver on the horizon. Will it happen? I could be wrong of course"
This is NOT a prediction. I think it's clear how I feel about the non-existent, unknowable future. I have made that abundantly clear over a very long time here.

And that won't change how I feel about the extreme premiums stolen from trusting folks by predator extortionists, either. Additionally, that doesn't change how I feel about those honorable dealers with gold standard business ethics who didn't extort excess premiums and didn't take advantage of people. They are to be saluted.

Cheers!

Yes, I understand you always preface everything with "unless I'm wrong", and never make any real "predictions". But if you don't know, then why do you say it in the first place? Clearly you have an idea of what you think will happen, unless you're just spouting random possibilities. And a lot of times, you're wrong. I know you don't claim to be all-knowing, but some people seem to put a lot of faith in what you think. I don't.

And really? Stolen? Nothing is stolen in a voluntary transaction. Claiming otherwise is an assault not only on the free market, but on the English language. If people can't be bothered to check the spot price of silver and see what it's selling for online, and they end up pay $33 for an ASE, I don't have too much sympathy. "Predator extortionists"? How utterly dishonest. Refusing to sell at a loss is not extortion; they can charge however much they want.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Sun May 19, 2013 8:48 pm

Engineer wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:Lying to people about shortages and trying to justify excessive premiums is simply wrong.

...and yet your industry does it at every opportunity. The exchange traders are the kings of "pump and dump".

You OBVIOUSLY don't know my industry.
Further, your cheap assumptions about exchange traders is cheeky and laughable. Imagine if someone on this forum said "coin dealers as a whole are thieving scum..."
Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Sun May 19, 2013 8:54 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:
Engineer wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:Lying to people about shortages and trying to justify excessive premiums is simply wrong.

...and yet your industry does it at every opportunity. The exchange traders are the kings of "pump and dump".

Further, your cheap assumptions about exchange traders is cheeky and laughable. Imagine if someone on this forum said "coin dealers as a whole are thieving scum..."
Cheers!

And yet you've said that those who charged high premiums were thieving scum, and coin dealers as a whole raised premiums, so you more or less did say that.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby inflationhawk » Sun May 19, 2013 8:59 pm

If a person makes a statement about the future that could be wrong, but it turns out they were not wrong, did they make an accurate prediction?
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Sun May 19, 2013 9:01 pm

scyther wrote:Yes, I understand you always preface everything with "unless I'm wrong", and never make any real "predictions". But if you don't know, then why do you say it in the first place? Clearly you have an idea of what you think will happen, unless you're just spouting random possibilities. And a lot of times, you're wrong. I know you don't claim to be all-knowing, but some people seem to put a lot of faith in what you think. I don't.

And really? Stolen? Nothing is stolen in a voluntary transaction. Claiming otherwise is an assault not only on the free market, but on the English language. If people can't be bothered to check the spot price of silver and see what it's selling for online, and they end up pay $33 for an ASE, I don't have too much sympathy. "Predator extortionists"? How utterly dishonest. Refusing to sell at a loss is not extortion; they can charge however much they want.

How can anyone know the unknowable non-existent future? When models turn they turn. When they turn around they turn around. When that happens in the future is simply unknowable. And when that is accepted, one can make a lot of money in the physical/financial markets. It's that simple.

I don't put faith in my trades. Nobody should. Faith implies blind belief in outcome. I accept that anything can happen. I do what the market says. Price is the ultimate indicator. I never confuse making money with the need to be right, unlike most.

Yes stolen. When people walk into a dealer's front door, there are many who are not very knowledgeable and are looking for the expert to provide solid honest advice and ethical business transactions. n the case of a novice investor walking into a dealer's showroom, who do you think has the upper hand? When told the price is x, it should be believable. If that person later learned that they paid spot +$11 when they could have paid much less how do you think that person's reaction might be? Yes. Stolen. Period. Especially if the novice was fed a whole host of reasons (look no further than the BS pump and dump shortage rhetoric on gold and silver this or that dot com during that time.) Duress and extortion yes and yes. Utterly honest yes.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Sun May 19, 2013 9:05 pm

scyther wrote:
Engineer wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:

Cheers!

And yet you've said that those who charged high premiums were thieving scum, and coin dealers as a whole raised premiums, so you more or less did say that.

You are a master of twist and spin. NO I did NOT "more or less say that".
I was very specific about those who were on the far end of the premium thievery.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Sun May 19, 2013 9:08 pm

inflationhawk wrote:If a person makes a statement about the future that could be wrong, but it turns out they were not wrong, did they make an accurate prediction?

That's a good question. Why don't you answer it.
I don't "predict" anything. I keep saying this. And when I have good trades, I don't come looking for people to acknowledge it, not do I boast about it.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Sun May 19, 2013 9:09 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:You are a master of twist and spin. NO I did NOT "more or less say that".
I was very specific about those who were on the far end of the premium thievery.

Cheers!

You keep mentioning the far end, but premiums went up just about everywhere.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scyther » Sun May 19, 2013 9:11 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:
inflationhawk wrote:If a person makes a statement about the future that could be wrong, but it turns out they were not wrong, did they make an accurate prediction?

That's a good question. Why don't you answer it.
I don't "predict" anything. I keep saying this. And when I have good trades, I don't come looking for people to acknowledge it, not do I boast about it.

Cheers!

Call it whatever you want. Clearly you have expectations and act on them, regardless of whether you're 100% or whether you want to call it a "prediction".
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sun May 19, 2013 9:14 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:Yes stolen. When people walk into a dealer's front door, there are many who are not very knowledgeable and are looking for the expert to provide solid honest advice and ethical business transactions. n the case of a novice investor walking into a dealer's showroom, who do you think has the upper hand?

I'm missing how that's different than watching CNBC or listening to financial advisers who are paid to put the interests of the company ahead of the clients.

Would Goldman or JPM give a novice investor with $100K the same deal and advice as a seasoned pro with $100M? It seems very doubtful. Do reps from those companies go on national television to pump their interests ahead of their clients? Where's your outrage at them? Aren't they the true extortionists with troops of lobbyists sent into DC to force us to buy their products with the threat of tax increases?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Jonflyfish » Sun May 19, 2013 9:29 pm

scyther wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:You are a master of twist and spin. NO I did NOT "more or less say that".

Cheers!

Yes the far end. Again (really?) not the dealers charging spot plus $3 (already praised those dealers) but spot plus $8,9,10,11 etc (unscrupulous predators). And to your point " just about everywhere" speaks to my point about the degree of fragmentation and on the far end of the spread spectrum, blatant theft.
This is very simple and not supposition or imagination.
Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sun May 19, 2013 9:37 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:
scyther wrote:

Cheers!

Yes the far end. Again (really?) not the dealers charging spot plus $3

You apparently haven't paid attention. The major dealers were PAYING spot plus $3 or higher. If they were selling for COG + 5, that's only a 15% markup.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Jonflyfish » Sun May 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Engineer wrote:
You apparently haven't paid attention. The major dealers were PAYING spot plus $3 or higher. If they were selling for COG + 5, that's only a 15% markup.

I haven't been paying attention? LOL
This whole thread started because I was paying attention. The term "if" is supposition and posturing.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Sun May 19, 2013 9:43 pm

scyther wrote:Call it whatever you want. Clearly you have expectations and act on them, regardless of whether you're 100% or whether you want to call it a "prediction".

There is only one word I call it- discipline.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sun May 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:The term "if" is supposition and posturing.

Which is a fancy way of saying you can't dispute the math, so you distract readers with an irrelevant statement on language.

Would you care to elaborate on why you believe a 15% spread is "extortion"?
Last edited by Engineer on Sun May 19, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Jonflyfish » Sun May 19, 2013 9:52 pm

Engineer wrote:

Your statement is irrelevant to the discussion. Would you care to elaborate on why you believe a 15% spread is "extortion"?

Your supposition is theoretical in nature and I did not say that it was " extortion" . I already explained what was.
Please stop trolling this board with frivolous frolic. I don't think the forum was intended for this.
So, in respect to others. I'll stop replying to this nonsense.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Sun May 19, 2013 10:03 pm

Jonflyfish wrote:
Engineer wrote:

Your statement is irrelevant to the discussion. Would you care to elaborate on why you believe a 15% spread is "extortion"?

Your supposition is theoretical in nature and I did not say that it was " extortion" .

When you can't dispute the math, attack the messenger and nitpick the verbiage?

You've stated that dealers charging spot +8 are (unscrupulous predators). It's also a known fact that they were paying spot +3, which tells us that you think dealers are (unscrupulous predators) if they have a ~15% markup.

Would you care to elaborate on how a 15% markup makes one an (unscrupulous predator)?
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGgressive Metal » Wed May 22, 2013 9:26 pm

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator