Premiums

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Premiums

Postby johnbrickner » Tue May 21, 2013 1:39 am

Late this afternoon (5/20) I got a call from Eastern Numis. The offer was rolls of 2013 ASEs for $595, shipped (from FL so, no tax). $29.75 each. Now I understand it's a telemarketer in PMs on the other end, and they are in stock now. Bells and whistles are includes shipping, no tax but at $29.75 at 4:00 pm that's still about a 30% premium. Even if they were BU would the premium warrant?

If so, and I'm just unaware is it a good enough deal that anyone here would want me to call the guy back to go in on the deal?

Call me nuts (really, it's ok if you do I wont take it personal) but I consider 15% to high. Was it that long ago when Eastern Numis and others were selling these to me at spot as a promo (why I'm on their call list)?

I guess the one thing you can count on is things change.

And the rest of the story is the guys calls back just now (5/21 AM). I inform him the ASE's can be had elsewhere for less. The comeback offer is 100 Toz bar for $2520 or about 12% over spot. Now I find there are several out there who sell for less but with delays. I simply don't need silver bad enough to pay 12% over spot regardless if I want it now or later.

Bottom line, still in protest still not buying retail. Prices will have to tank to Doc's $18 or there about for me to start getting excited about buying again with these premiums.
Last edited by johnbrickner on Tue May 21, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Re: Premiums

Postby blackrabbit » Tue May 21, 2013 2:45 am

Too high a price.

http://www.goldmart.com/bullion-1/silver-bullion/american-silver-eagles.html Even with shipping it is much cheaper.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby angel2004 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:06 pm

Lets put it this way if someone is calling for you to buy, they have stock and are trying to get it out. My local dealer is charging 7 on eagles. No tax either so about the same. They charge 15% now on junk dimes and quarters. This is way higher than the 3% they had been charging until silver crashed. And no shipping, any amount and no one else involved (delivery people or bank) I like to buy local to have in hand and no one else involved. At times, I have bought from the US mint over the phone but not that much.
angel2004
Penny Pincher Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Tue May 21, 2013 4:55 pm

johnbrickner wrote:And the rest of the story is the guys calls back just now. I inform him the ASE's can be had elsewhere for less. The comeback offer is 100 Toz bar for $2520 or about 12% over spot. Now I find there are several out there who sell for less but with delays. I simply don't need silver bad enough to pay 12% over spot regardless if I want it now or later.

You can also take some less risk and buy 98 of these individual ounces with that $2520:

http://www.silvertowne.com/p-11650-silv ... r-bar.aspx

Or you can just buy one ounce or more. Makes me wonder if these Silvertowne bars are made in China or something :D .

Selling a 100 oz. bar is riskier than selling individual 1 oz. bars in the long run. Who will be the buyer of a 100 oz. bar and allow you to cover your premium overhead?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Tue May 21, 2013 11:22 pm

I always ask their buy price as well as their sell price. If they have a tight spread, it's likely a good enough deal to explore.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed May 22, 2013 5:52 am

Franklin Sanders, a long time dealer, says all premiums will go to zero.

i think in some cases it may take longer than in others, but you'll come out ahead if you avoid paying high premia.

post what you think is reasonable here on RC and you may find a taker.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals