package arrived ripped and without contents!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

package arrived ripped and without contents!

Postby mrrosado » Sat May 04, 2013 7:03 am

The sad thing is that I shipped a Saint Michael the Archangel prayer book to a friend. Maybe the post person thought it was a wad of cash because it was going from a priest to a college campus. I hope they can use the prayer book. Hopefully I'm wrong and the envelope tore itself. However, for us collector's its a reminder to ship expensive stuff in boxes.
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: package arrived ripped and without contents!

Postby blackrabbit » Sat May 04, 2013 11:57 am

Yea, they probably thought it was drug money and thought the Priest thing was a cover for it.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby messymessy » Sat May 04, 2013 5:58 pm

FatherRosado wrote:The sad thing is that I shipped a Saint Michael the Archangel prayer book to a friend. Maybe the post person thought it was a wad of cash because it was going from a priest to a college campus. I hope they can use the prayer book. Hopefully I'm wrong and the envelope tore itself. However, for us collector's its a reminder to ship expensive stuff in boxes.

Do priests routinely send wads of cash to college campuses?
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rainsonme » Sun May 05, 2013 11:19 am

If you are using the US postal service, you need to very very tightly package what you send. I used a "one-size-one-price" box (whatever they are called) to ship some coins to a member in St Louis. he never got the coins. A month later I got the neatly cut box top from the postmaster in St Louis and a form to fill out. So I did an experiment, shipping 5 common wheat cents and 1 NIFC half dollar to 3 locations: Indiana, Denver, and St Louis. 15 sealed letters total, mailed on 5 different days. About half arrived intact, the other half either never arrived, or arrived as empty opened letters; one of the Denver letters arrived with a note from the postal service asking if the recipient wanted to file a claim.

I have recieved some coins shipped thru the US Postal service, but they were taped and bound so severly it took me 30 minutes to open them. I suspect that is the key: if it takes a long time to cut thru the bindings, no one will have an easy opportunity.

As to your prayer book, you have cast it onto an unknown sea; you will never know what impact it may have had, but that isnt all bad.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun May 05, 2013 1:10 pm

rainsonme wrote:If you are using the US postal service, you need to very very tightly package what you send. I used a "one-size-one-price" box (whatever they are called) to ship some coins to a member in St Louis. he never got the coins. A month later I got the neatly cut box top from the postmaster in St Louis and a form to fill out. So I did an experiment, shipping 5 common wheat cents and 1 NIFC half dollar to 3 locations: Indiana, Denver, and St Louis. 15 sealed letters total, mailed on 5 different days. About half arrived intact, the other half either never arrived, or arrived as empty opened letters; one of the Denver letters arrived with a note from the postal service asking if the recipient wanted to file a claim.

I have recieved some coins shipped thru the US Postal service, but they were taped and bound so severly it took me 30 minutes to open them. I suspect that is the key: if it takes a long time to cut thru the bindings, no one will have an easy opportunity.

As to your prayer book, you have cast it onto an unknown sea; you will never know what impact it may have had, but that isnt all bad.

This is why I have stopped doing coin business via USPS in total.

IF all that happens is you lose coins in shipment, it sucks, but there are far worst things that can happen. By shipping USPS, or even the private carriers, you are exposing your location to bandits. This compromises your security. IF the bandits learn you have received a lot of coins, someone could get the idea to rob you at gunpoint for the mother-loade.

I agree with rainsonme in total about the prayer book! It's casting your bread upon the waters. Who knows who may come into saving grace by this action? :thumbup:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SoFa » Sun May 05, 2013 2:04 pm

That's too bad about the book.
Between sending and receiving, I've probably had 300 parcels with coins go through the USPS in the past year. Only one went missing (I got reimbursed for that from MCM). Always use tracking and package in a bubble mailer (at a minimum).
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby Z00 » Sun May 05, 2013 3:24 pm

The best item for small shipments:

http://www.safetmailer.com/
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mrrosado » Thu May 23, 2013 10:27 am

messymessy wrote:
FatherRosado wrote:The sad thing is that I shipped a Saint Michael the Archangel prayer book to a friend. Maybe the post person thought it was a wad of cash because it was going from a priest to a college campus. I hope they can use the prayer book. Hopefully I'm wrong and the envelope tore itself. However, for us collector's its a reminder to ship expensive stuff in boxes.

Do priests routinely send wads of cash to college campuses?

lol no. Some priests do help college students abroad but I"m pretty sure they use checks or money orders.
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby kidman232 » Thu May 23, 2013 2:44 pm

i sent 3 silver coins to a member on here to have my bubble mailer returned to me the other day. it was ripped from top right corned to middle of his address. look like a box cutter or machine just cut right through it. 3 silver eagles gone.
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:36 pm

kidman232 wrote:i sent 3 silver coins to a member on here to have my bubble mailer returned to me the other day. it was ripped from top right corned to middle of his address. look like a box cutter or machine just cut right through it. 3 silver eagles gone.

:o

:shock:

:evil:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Rosco » Thu May 23, 2013 11:57 pm

A deal with beauanderos will show you correct safe mailing
or Marketharmony Tape is cheaper than coin :thumbup:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby rexmerdinus » Fri May 24, 2013 10:00 am

Anything over $1000 value I always ship via Registered Mail--it's more expensive but well worth the security of being under lock and key until the moment of delivery, as well as a chain of custody within the USPS. For less than that, I'm all about insurance and tracking--it won't stop all nefarious activity, but it will at least deter SFS (sticky fingers syndrome :)) among postal workers.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby InfleXion » Fri May 24, 2013 10:57 am

Since I got a PO Box I haven't had any issues. It stands to reason that any person contemplating abusing their position to access the contents of someone's package will be less likely to do so if there isn't the prospect of some other random person accessing your mail such as when not under lock and key. Less plausible deniability.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Fri May 24, 2013 11:13 am

I've never had anything lost by USPS going out or coming in. Just use common sense - if you send a letter with coins in it that is completely obvious and a unnecessary temptation. All parcels and priority mail have tracking numbers now, so you can check its status online.
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby LooseChange » Fri May 24, 2013 11:18 am

InfleXion wrote:Since I got a PO Box I haven't had any issues. It stands to reason that any person contemplating abusing their position to access the contents of someone's package will be less likely to do so if there isn't the prospect of some other random person accessing your mail such as when not under lock and key.

This is parallel with my thinking, if the package stops at the PO, that's 2-3 less people in the package trail. I do feel I have more security if my mail/packages are locked at the Post Office, instead of sitting in my mailbox by the street or better yet on my front porch all day in front of everyone who drives by.
InfleXion wrote:Less plausible deniability.

Love it :thumbup:
"You can go if you want, but all they make are coins there"- Quote from the Philidelphia, PA visitors center desk clerk, after inquiring about going on a tour of the MINT
LooseChange
Penny Collector Member

Postby blackrabbit » Fri May 24, 2013 11:20 am

It also helps if your mail carrier likes you. A Christmas tip helps. I remember my parents always tipped the mailman at Christmas time in NY. When I got out here to California I tipped my mail carrier at Christmas and got a very nice thank you card saying I was the only one on the whole route who thought of her on Christmas. She has been super cool ever since, brings my dog treats, honks and waits for me to come out if I need to sign for something, etc. I know plenty of other employees handle the mail till she gets it but I know it is safe in her hands.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals