Silver prices and availability

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Silver prices and availability

Postby theo » Wed May 29, 2013 4:16 pm

Stopped by my LCS today and I was able to pick up some 90% for 18 Xs. He had halves and quarters but no dimes. I was also able to buy a few dollars in canadian 80% for 14 Xs. These prices represent around a 15% premium but I believe they are the lowest in my area. He was out of new 2013 ASEs but he let me have a few slightly distressed eagles for $25 each.

I'm also thinking of order a few Silvertowne bars for $25.20 with the full knowledge that I'll have wait up to two weeks for delivery.

What are you guys seeing?

PS. I bought a watch in Vietnam last year that stopped working after two hours. I should have been suspicious since the guy who sold to me wasn't wearing a shirt. Anyway, I had the store owner (who is also a jeweler) take a look at it. He said that the outside casing said "Swiss quality" but the inner workings ("the movement" as he called it) was Japanese. So my watch was actually two watches, but when they were put together the case wasn't properly sealed and moisture corroded the mechanism. It was this experience that led to. . .

Theo's law # 27: "Never buy a watch off of a shirtless man."
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Silver prices and availability

Postby CardsNCoins » Wed May 29, 2013 5:21 pm

theo wrote:..........Theo's law # 27: "Never buy a watch off of a shirtless man."

I made a slight addition.

Theo's law # 27: "Never buy a watch off of a shirtless man in Vietnam."
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed May 29, 2013 5:26 pm

CardsNCoins wrote:
theo wrote:..........Theo's law # 27: "Never buy a watch off of a shirtless man."

:lol: Buy him a shirt and a meal! Sheesh, guys.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby theo » Wed May 29, 2013 5:52 pm

I don't think this guy was in want of a shirt or a meal. The average summer temp there is in the low 90s with high humidity. So the men would go shirtless when they thought they could away with it. Strangley enough the women would completely cover up their arms legs and even ankles, but not out of modesty as their attitudes toward sex seemed pretty casual. I'm pretty sure it was to avoid tanning so as not to look like a peasant. . . who has to work outside.
Last edited by theo on Wed May 29, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Wed May 29, 2013 5:56 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:
CardsNCoins wrote:

:lol: Buy him a shirt and a meal! Sheesh, guys.

I did. I gave 200,000 Dong ($9.50) for a broken watch. Over there you could buy a nice meal and (I suppose) a cheap shirt for that much.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby inflationhawk » Wed May 29, 2013 6:07 pm

theo wrote:I don't think this guy was in want of a shirt or a meal. The average summer temp there is in the low 90s with high humidity. So the men would go shirtless when they thought they could away with it. Strangley enough the women would completely cover up their arms legs and even ankles, but not out of modesty as their attitudes toward sex seemed pretty casual. I'm pretty sure it was to avoid tanning so as not to look like a peasant. . . who has to work outside.

Maybe the moisture in the watch was his sweat?
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby hobo finds » Wed May 29, 2013 7:28 pm

200,000 Dong gets you no shirt :o
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby AlleyAlchemy » Wed May 29, 2013 7:34 pm

23 Xs for 90% today @ a LCS -- brutal. You're fortunate Theo w/ your LCS.

Provident has slightly lowered their 90% premiums, so here's hoping that's a trend that will continue.
AlleyAlchemy

Postby messymessy » Wed May 29, 2013 8:19 pm

This has nothing to do with silver and I hate to hijack this thread, but where would I find Theo's 1st 26 laws?
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theo » Wed May 29, 2013 9:52 pm

There are actually 30 of them. Most cannot handle seeing them in their entirety. They are written on a corner table in the Quaker Stake and Lube in Sharon, Pa (the original). The Laws can only be viewed by those with a pure heart and only then by the reflected light of an AU or better Englehard Prospector round.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed May 29, 2013 9:53 pm

messymessy wrote:This has nothing to do with silver and I hate to hijack this thread, but where would I find Theo's 1st 26 laws?

:thumbup: Now THAT would be a fun read!
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed May 29, 2013 9:54 pm

Here, we're 19.5x.
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Wed May 29, 2013 9:56 pm

I just sold some below spot. Image
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rsk1963 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:20 pm

theo wrote:There are actually 30 of them. Most cannot handle seeing them in their entirety. They are written on a corner table in the Quaker Stake and Lube in Sharon, Pa (the original). The Laws can only be viewed by those with a pure heart and only then by the reflected light of an AU or better Englehard Prospector round.

I will write these down for the RC forum, as I am way, way over due for some louisiana liquor wings.

:wave:
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby theo » Wed May 29, 2013 10:33 pm

rsk1963 wrote:
theo wrote:There are actually 30 of them. Most cannot handle seeing them in their entirety. They are written on a corner table in the Quaker Stake and Lube in Sharon, Pa (the original). The Laws can only be viewed by those with a pure heart and only then by the reflected light of an AU or better Englehard Prospector round.

I will write these down for the RC forum, as I am way, way over due for some louisiana liquor wings.

:wave:

LOL. I thought you might see this. I believe its the table under the precariously perched sports car; sort of the Western, Pa version of the Sword of Damocles.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rsk1963 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:38 pm

ha, so I should bring my Data bag (think goonies) just incase
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby theo » Wed May 29, 2013 11:14 pm

AlleyAlchemy wrote:23 Xs for 90% today @ a LCS -- brutal. You're fortunate Theo w/ your LCS.

Provident has slightly lowered their 90% premiums, so here's hoping that's a trend that will continue.

Oof, that is high. Check out our market area once you get ten posts.

rsk1963 wrote:ha, so I should bring my Data bag (think goonies) just incase

Good luck. Sir. :)
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:33 pm

rsk1963 wrote:ha, so I should bring my Data bag (think goonies) just incase

"Slick shoes?? Are you CRAZY?" :lol:
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals