Unsearched rolls of halves on ebay a waste of time?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Unsearched rolls of halves on ebay a waste of time?

Postby mrrosado » Fri May 31, 2013 8:52 pm

I want to believe people. I want to believe these are unsearched. However, I am not sure. You guys think these are really unsearched? [[/url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/180850098887?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649[/url] I bought $100 worth at $11.99 plus shipping. I have to find 4 90% halves to break even and a little more. I'll let you know what happens. I think I bought these just to have fun searching. I'll let you all know how I do. If they're really unsearched I might find one roll filled. My guess is that you can feel the weight difference, that one might not be shipped.
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Unsearched rolls of halves on ebay a waste of time?

Postby natsb88 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:13 pm

You can buy rolls of halves for face value at just about any bank. These are no different.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby blackrabbit » Fri May 31, 2013 9:18 pm

A big waste of time. While they might be unsearched, unlikely in my opinion, probably weighed. I can tell you from my experience 1x 40% from 500 bucks worth of halves is typical. Heck, I would have got some from the bank and sent them to you if you really wanted to search them for less money. There are plenty of banks around Goshen, I am sure one of them would get halves for you. Which banks have you asked at? Maybe you would have to go to Chester or Middletown but somebody would help you out, especially if you went in with your priest garb. Anyway, let me know if you find any silver, miracles sometimes happen. :roll:
Peace be with you Father.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby bgretz1989 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:47 pm

You might want to check your WTB thread for these too before u take the plunge
bgretz1989
Penny Collector Member

Postby Z00 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:50 pm

Father, I know you want to trust people, but the sellers on eBay are there to make money. They are not going to sell something and pay the fees if they don't. You would be a lot better off building a relationship with the bank that handles your parish account along with a few others to order you halves. The extra money you spend buying on eBay could just as well go for gas running around town picking up stuff to search.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby scyther » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:23 am

Considering the easy profit of getting a roll at the bank and selling it for a significant markup on ebay, these might very well be unsearched. Or not. But even if they are, it's a terrible way to try to make money. You will lose. Even if the bank charges you for coins, it will be a lot less than this.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:57 am

Dear brother.....no...no no no.

please, I beg you, NEVER do this again....these men?...and maybe women too....TRUTH does NOT live in them, these rolls might be "unsearched", which I doubt....but they are there to FLEECE.

in fact, I was just reading of their ilk, this morning in the 25th Psalm,

"Indeed, none who wait for you shall be put to shame;
they shall be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous." Psalm 25:3

I've been writing on the "Basis' " of prayer, and was pondering the concept of "wait" ing on God, ie... "for you I wait all the day long.".....which is another discussion altogether......but when I saw your post, the descriptor "wantonly treacherous" immediately came to mind and soul, when I thought of such as these...its the same way with those who "cap" rolls....meaning they will say and show, a 62 Franklin on the end, and tell you that within is "unsearched halves" along with this 90% Franklin.......humbly?...stay away from them as well, man of God.

I don't know your finances, but right now on Ebay, you DO have the opportunity to purchase rolls of 1964 Kennedy halves, 90% silver, each coins containing .36 troy ounces of silver, $10 face value rolls have 7.23 toz of silver for between 210-220 a roll. this is not a bad price, and the 64 Kenn, even circulated has little wear on it.

in the faith, some might say...that you are worshipping money, making an idol of silver....tell them, "no....its more like that attribute of being "innocent as doves, shrewd as a snake"....you are INSURING the value of currency, as the unwise leadership of the land, has lead to a situation where the value of paper money will be called into question, and you, as Led by the Holy Spirit, are insuring the value of monies needed to do the things outlined in Matthew 25...you know what I speak of. neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:11 am

Amen?
I'm not a deeply religious feller...but Neil's post makes sense.

If you can't find a bank to order boxes for you, a couple solutions come to mind: First, pray over it, and if it's His will, it will happen. Secondly, ask them for bags rather than boxes. By taking their bags, you're DOING them a favor. By asking for boxes, you're begging for a favor. Your frustration in finding coins could be anything from not asking right to a sign from above. Take it as you will, and seek to do good rather than depending on the goodness of others.

There's probably a scripture about that...but as I said, I'm not a deeply religious feller.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:41 am

Engineer wrote:Amen?
I'm not a deeply religious feller...but Neil's post makes sense.

If you can't find a bank to order boxes for you, a couple solutions come to mind: First, pray over it, and if it's His will, it will happen. Secondly, ask them for bags rather than boxes. By taking their bags, you're DOING them a favor. By asking for boxes, you're begging for a favor. Your frustration in finding coins could be anything from not asking right to a sign from above. Take it as you will, and seek to do good rather than depending on the goodness of others.

There's probably a scripture about that...but as I said, I'm not a deeply religious feller.

Engineer, you wrote, " I'm not a deeply religious feller"...neither am I.....here's what I always say...ready?

"Religion kills, Jesus saves".

He's a Beautiful Savior, I rest IN Him, and He has given me Faith as a Gift....that's what I believe.

"religion"?....man made institutions.......simple, child like Faith?....that's where you aim your arrow, fondly, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Engineer » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:36 am

neilgin1 wrote:"religion"?....man made institutions.......simple, child like Faith?....that's where you aim your arrow, fondly, neil

That, I can agree wholeheartedly with. This world of ours is a wondrous place, but religions too often try to tax & govern...and governments are horribly prone to corruption. I don't think we need churches or even bibles.

Simple faith and appreciation for life is everything that's necessary...at least in my humble opinion. We all take from the earth every day, and the least we can do is try to give back as much as we've taken. If you can do that, you've lived a righteous existence.

Prostrating yourself in marble palaces with a 10% entrance tax for a chance at streets paved in gold...not so much.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:18 am

The rolls they sell may very well be technically "unsearched" in the sense that they have not been opened and gone through. However the sin of omission that is common, is that they have been weighed and any that are a little heavy are opened and searched but not sold . Details that are not stated are where they get you in many cases.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Computer Jones » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:29 pm

PT Barnum had a very apt remark for deals like this!
Get your rolls for face at a bank, your chances will probably be the same if not better.
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby SilverDragon72 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:55 pm

Engineer wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:"religion"?....man made institutions.......simple, child like Faith?....that's where you aim your arrow, fondly, neil

That, I can agree wholeheartedly with. This world of ours is a wondrous place, but religions too often try to tax & govern...and governments are horribly prone to corruption. I don't think we need churches or even bibles.

Simple faith and appreciation for life is everything that's necessary...at least in my humble opinion. We all take from the earth every day, and the least we can do is try to give back as much as we've taken. If you can do that, you've lived a righteous existence.

Prostrating yourself in marble palaces with a 10% entrance tax for a chance at streets paved in gold...not so much.

Well said. I've never like organized religion much.
SilverDragon72
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:47 pm

SilverDragon72 wrote:
Engineer wrote:

Well said. I've never like organized religion much.

I love Jesus...I love God......you might counter with, "they're not real"......well, I DID talk with Him an hour this morning, so.....if that makes me a dreamer, or a fool, I say, "Let me dream on then...if its "dreaming".....God loves us, and in that love, put His love IN us, which enables us TO love others...recklessly, sweetly and with abandon.

if the WHOLE WORLD came unto that heart realization?...guess what?...it would be Heaven...yeh?....but its not, we're still IN the world....which contains elements of Heaven....and elements of hell.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby agmoose » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:38 pm

These rolls are a horrible deal and waste of time for the buyer........for the seller, it is pure cha-ching. It may not be dishonest, but it is certainly misleading. But hey, as long as they find buyers, they'll sell crap.
agmoose
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby mrrosado » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:36 am

The coins came in. $100 face value. 0 silver coins. 2 modern halves which are not worth much a 2006 D and a 2009 P. The 2009 p was hurt anyway. The shipping was over priced by $6.50. End result. I lost about $30 and had a little fun roll searching. It's totally not worth it.

mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mrrosado » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:37 am

blackrabbit wrote:A big waste of time. While they might be unsearched, unlikely in my opinion, probably weighed. I can tell you from my experience 1x 40% from 500 bucks worth of halves is typical. Heck, I would have got some from the bank and sent them to you if you really wanted to search them for less money. There are plenty of banks around Goshen, I am sure one of them would get halves for you. Which banks have you asked at? Maybe you would have to go to Chester or Middletown but somebody would help you out, especially if you went in with your priest garb. Anyway, let me know if you find any silver, miracles sometimes happen. :roll:
Peace be with you Father.

I didn't ask directly that way yet. I simply asked the banks if they had any in stock. I'll ask some if they can order it for me.

mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mrrosado » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:43 am

scyther wrote:Considering the easy profit of getting a roll at the bank and selling it for a significant markup on ebay, these might very well be unsearched. Or not. But even if they are, it's a terrible way to try to make money. You will lose. Even if the bank charges you for coins, it will be a lot less than this.

I knew I was probably going to lose $30 but I wanted to test it out and provide verifiable results as I did. Plus it wasn't a total lost. A priest friend of mine collects 50 cents pieces in general. I just gave him some at face value and he was very happy. So in the end it was worth the $30 to see him smile over some coins.

mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby SoFa » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:17 pm

They probably were unsearched. A good con man would have put a little silver in there to whet your appetite.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:30 pm

Are Unsearched rolls of halves on ebay a waste of time?

Yes they are a waste of time, and a good way to waste extra money one just has laying around.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby GlitterGirl » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:40 pm

first post, long time lurker... Um Father, have you considered prayer before opening "unsorted rolls"?
GlitterGirl

Postby AirTractor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:02 pm

neilgin1 wrote:Dear brother.....no...no no no.

please, I beg you, NEVER do this again....these men?...and maybe women too....TRUTH does NOT live in them, these rolls might be "unsearched", which I doubt....but they are there to FLEECE.

in fact, I was just reading of their ilk, this morning in the 25th Psalm,

"Indeed, none who wait for you shall be put to shame;
they shall be ashamed who are wantonly treacherous." Psalm 25:3

I've been writing on the "Basis' " of prayer, and was pondering the concept of "wait" ing on God, ie... "for you I wait all the day long.".....which is another discussion altogether......but when I saw your post, the descriptor "wantonly treacherous" immediately came to mind and soul, when I thought of such as these...its the same way with those who "cap" rolls....meaning they will say and show, a 62 Franklin on the end, and tell you that within is "unsearched halves" along with this 90% Franklin.......humbly?...stay away from them as well, man of God.

I don't know your finances, but right now on Ebay, you DO have the opportunity to purchase rolls of 1964 Kennedy halves, 90% silver, each coins containing .36 troy ounces of silver, $10 face value rolls have 7.23 toz of silver for between 210-220 a roll. this is not a bad price, and the 64 Kenn, even circulated has little wear on it.

in the faith, some might say...that you are worshipping money, making an idol of silver....tell them, "no....its more like that attribute of being "innocent as doves, shrewd as a snake"....you are INSURING the value of currency, as the unwise leadership of the land, has lead to a situation where the value of paper money will be called into question, and you, as Led by the Holy Spirit, are insuring the value of monies needed to do the things outlined in Matthew 25...you know what I speak of. neil

That was great, thank you. :thumbup:
AirTractor
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Rob72830 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:44 pm

My bank told me I had to order 4 boxes of halves before they would order them so I didn't order because I can't afford that much at once even if I would recoup most of my expense when I dumped. Then I thought about those ebay sellers. Was seriously thinking about ordering 10 rolls. Now I read these posts about the sellers weighing the rolls before shipping. I would have never thought of that. Thank you to everyone who pointed that out. You saved me money. Now I will save up and just buy rolls of 90%. Probably could get 2 rolls for what a box of halves cost and don't have to dump 400+ halves at the bank.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:21 pm

FatherRosado wrote:The coins came in. $100 face value. 0 silver coins. 2 modern halves which are not worth much a 2006 D and a 2009 P. The 2009 p was hurt anyway. The shipping was over priced by $6.50. End result. I lost about $30 and had a little fun roll searching. It's totally not worth it.

For $30 and a little time searching through listings on eBay you could have had seven or eight 40% halves in hand including shipping. Silver doesn't show up very often in bank rolls. I've had a few lucky streaks months ago but I am on a stretch now with over $1000 in rolls searched without finding any silver. I've gone back to picking up small lots of 40% halves on eBay to keep the stack growing.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ZenOps » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:18 am

Well... At least you are still getting a better deal than Europeans that have to shell out the equivalent of $1.30 for 7.5 grams of cupronickel.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals