Embarrassed by branch manager at BofA

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Embarrassed by branch manager at BofA

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:24 pm

I usually dump my halves in bags when I turn them in; however, there is a BofA that won't cash bags immediately without waiting the 3 day period for them to be sent to the vault.

I've went into this B of A before and had the agreement if I had $250 or less in a bag that they would cash it immediately without the 3 day period. Otherwise, they want me to turn them in rolled and I have turned in full rolled boxes to them before.

I hadn't been in this branch in a month and a half and today was turning in $1k in rolled halves.

When I walked in and was standing in line, a branch manager I had never seen asked me from behind the counter what was in the boxes.

I told him I had halves to cash in. He asked me where I got them and I told him I sort them from another bank. I was trying to end the conversation there. However, he continued by saying that I was trying to make money off of the bank because the bank isnt equipped to search for the silver halves. His tone was like I was doing something deviant.

I wouldn't have minded this as much if he had been saying it when I was at the counter but he was saying all of this to me loudly with other customers in front of me.

I asked him if we really had to have this conversation right there and told him I did have an account and already had an agreement with the merchant teller who unfortunately was not out front at that moment.

Just venting; I really didn't appreciate the way he approached the conversation with me.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Embarrassed by branch manager at BofA

Postby Joogaler » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:34 pm

I've had the same problems, banks seem to make up policies on the spot.
Just like the tellers told me no prob on ordering pennies, or returning them in the coin-lok bags.
Well I came in on the wrong day, and the branch manager told me I need a business account to deposit in coin-lok bags...
Just lazy people, don't take it personal. These branch managers feel like you're making money off of them, they don't like that. They want you to be a good little slave, and leave all of your money in your account, and don't even think about taking it out!

Banks = Big bag of suck
Tellers = Usually very nice people

Edit: Spelling... as usual...
Last edited by Joogaler on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby Corsair » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:35 pm

That is very strange that he brought up silver searching, as if other banks he has been a part of have been involved in the professional silver sorting business.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:39 pm

The way to handle these situations is the following.

"I appreciate the work it takes to process these coins and I appreciate the fact that I am able to deposit them here."

"I trust your branch to handle a 1000 dollar deposit properly. Would you prefer I make my deposit at another bank?"

I'm wondering if the manager would have kicked the 1000 out of his bank in front of other customers.

When people are being difficult and treating you like a serf, you can disarm them with a compliment followed by an unrelenting assault of questions. Ask questions like you're speaking in tongues, and watch the magic.

Of course the moment may come when nothing will give you more joy than kicking that individual to the curb.
Last edited by Thogey on Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:58 pm

Well they did cash them for me; just didn't like him having that conversation that loudly in front of other customers.

Didnt seem very professional for a branch manager in my opinion.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Joogaler » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:11 pm

Pennysaved wrote:Well they did cash them for me; just didn't like him having that conversation that loudly in front of other customers.

Didnt seem very professional for a branch manager in my opinion.

Exactly what happened to me! Went to bring in maybe $300 worth of coin-lok bags of pennies, and she pretty much just kept repeating "you can't do that, you have to have a business account" over and over very loudly. Even the tellers had a look of WTF during it all.

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby 999Ni » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:36 pm

what a jerk!
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Postby twentybux » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:35 am

999Ni wrote:what a jerk!

.999Ni said it nicely. I was thinking of a few other choice words about the branch manager. :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:01 am

Since he was a "branch" manager, perhaps you could've suggested he just get forked? :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby aristobolus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:16 am

A question like, "What is the name of your Regional Manager?" would also have been quite effective! Most do not want to be reminded that we are all under authority.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Market Harmony » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:20 am

All you had to say was, "yeah, I imagine I'd be thrown in jail if this was the Soviet Union. Ain't America great, pal?"
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Copper Member » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:57 am

I think that if I was in that situation, I would have (in a loud voice..) "what is your supervisor's name and #. I can't believe you are hassleling me for making a deposit!!" I think he would have shut up at that point. If not, I'd call the uppers and file a complaint. I don't think the banks are in any position to hassle people about making deposits. Even tho it is only $1000.
check me out on facebook Lake's Coin's and Militaria
Copper Member
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:06 am

so many people are lazy, ignorant, and or rude.

you should have told him that what you were doing was legal, that your deposit agreement with his bank requires him to accept your deposit, that if you were "making money" off of anyone it was the other bank, and that you don't care for his rudeness or for his decision to discuss your private business in front of all of the customers, and that you would like to know the name of the regional manager so you can express your concerns to his boss.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:08 am

There are some good responses on what to say here. I have yet to have that problem. If I owned a bank, you better believe I would have silver coin separating machines. That clown just didn't want the competition.

More than half the time I just spend them! It puts them out in circulation with the masses and it takes longer for the culls to come back into the banks' vaults.

Fill up you tank with gas. Pay the cashier with halves. What are they going to do? Make you drain your tank to get the gas back? No. It's legal tender. Put the coins on the counter and walk away if they give you any static. The gas station I buy from is nothing but smiles when I walk in. Same thing with going out to dinner. It always starts a conversation with the waitress about coins.

Funny thing is, no one has ever turned me down! In fact, I was pleasantly surprised how often the people behind me buy the halves from the cashier once I have paid my money for what I purchased.

At most I get a question like: "Where did you get all these?!" I never tell them I sort coins. I just say something like: "These babies make great poker chips!" Then they think I won them gambling. It gets a laugh and changes the subject.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:15 am

Or you could use one of my personal favorites.... Loudly exclaim back "How is the sex change going, the doctor told me you had a nasty infection?"
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 97guns » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:18 am

another case of "give the guy a little power" and he thinks he's the next coming
Retired in 2009 with 300K in net worth by going all in with cash flowing real estate. every disposable penny goes back into savings via PM's - by using this technique my net worth has nearly doubled up.

ABCD investing - ANYTHING BERNANKE CAN'T DESTROY
97guns
Penny Collector Member

Postby jasmatk » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:29 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:Or you could use one of my personal favorites.... Loudly exclaim back "How is the sex change going, the doctor told me you had a nasty infection?"

Thats great :lol: :lol: :lol:
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby goodcents » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:12 pm

I agree. The guy is just jealous the bank prohibits him from taking boxes of halves home. Go to the top and tell them if you are ever approached in line again it will be the last time they ever see you, your family, or your friends doing business in there again.
goodcents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby abe » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:14 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: some pretty funny stuff. Thats I feel at the VA, the secretaries ask personal info. in front of everyone. Only if they could learn to whisper.
Got Laminated Lincolns? Give me a buzz.
abe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:56 pm

He asked me where I got them and I told him I sort them from another bank.

"I'm sorry, but who are you and what business is it of yours where I get what I deposit in your bank?"
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:17 pm

I tell them my friend has a large chain of laudromats and lets me look thru them before returning them for him.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby frugalcanuck » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:06 am

I got into a shouting match once with a sales clerk and the end result was that I got everything I argued for. I was louder and had a solid argument. It doesnt do the company well to show current shoppers that they may be waiting in line to get ripped off.
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:10 pm

frugalcanuck wrote:I got into a shouting match once with a sales clerk and the end result was that I got everything I argued for. I was louder and had a solid argument. It doesnt do the company well to show current shoppers that they may be waiting in line to get ripped off.

Bad move. Bad, bad move.

In many situations, you WANT the clerk to be on your side. Being polite and reasonable works wonders and offers you more options. Being a jackass only makes the clerk want to draw out the situation as long as possible a/or make the situation even worse and your intended resolution even longer to get resolved. Plus, you also cause more grief for your fellow customers.

If I was behind you in line, i'd yell at you to move your ass outta the line and let me pay for my stuff.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Economist » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:18 pm

Pennysaved,

I sympathize with you- the BM was clearly being an idiot and a jerk to you. However, I think you made a mistake in stating so frankly that you sort halves from another bank. Perhaps you could've have twinged him a little, e.g.: "I've been saving these up but now I really need cash," or "This was my (or, my grandpa's) coin collection but I can't afford to keep it..." (the grandpa line might have actually got him excited about searching them himself!).

Bank employees are so hit and miss regarding collectors/ sorters, and I'm sure it's only going to get worse as more people catch on, so I'd caution everybody to do whatever it takes to stay on good terms with all bank people.

But again, the dude was a total jerk, so I'm not saying you're wrong in any way!
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 999Ni » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:15 pm

I never let tellers know that I sort....

Think of something else to say that sounds legit. It's really none of their damn business anyway!!
Ron Paul 2012!

999Ni
Penny Pincher Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals