I heard the magic coin words today!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

I heard the magic coin words today!

Postby mrrosado » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:41 pm

"We can order some for you" and they were talking about pennies. I took out $50 in pennies. I wanted to take out $100 but they said they couldn't do that for the week. They asked what I wanted the pennies for and I told them everything about what can be found in a box and what I found in the last box of nickels. This means I can get them to order havles for me. However, what is the ratio of silver in halves. I like penny boxes because about 30% of the box are keepers :0) I hear done 40% half per box or less. that's boring to coin search. Does anybody else have any of their results? Thanks for the info. BTW its $500 in a box of halves right?
I like collecting Gold and Silver. I prefer the Silver stuff. God Bless You.

My website: http://www.fatherrosado.com
follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/FatherRosadoNY
mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: I heard the magic coin words today!

Postby galenrog » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:01 pm

Halves?? Kind of spotty for silver, but if you have a handle on what local collectors are looking for you can make a short list of dates, errors, types, etc that individuals may pay a premium for. It may not sound like much to get $1.00 for a fifty cent coin, but working with local collectors can increase both your presence and your profits.
Mine Gold, Buy Silver. It Fills the Safe Faster.
galenrog
Penny Collector Member

Postby mrrosado » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:27 pm

galenrog wrote:Halves?? Kind of spotty for silver, but if you have a handle on what local collectors are looking for you can make a short list of dates, errors, types, etc that individuals may pay a premium for. It may not sound like much to get $1.00 for a fifty cent coin, but working with local collectors can increase both your presence and your profits.

I'm a priest. I do this mostly for fun. Most of the time when I sell its to benefit our Youth Group :0) Thanks for the advice. I'll stick to my pennies. About 30% of it is copper and about 30 wheaties per box. A few foreign coins for my moms collection too :D Thanks for the advice. Does anyone have a different experience?

mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:52 pm

You should try a box a halves. You never know, you could hit a silver vein and it costs you nothing if you find nothing. It only takes a short time to look through a $500 box of halves. You can easily spend them, people like them, or just return them to another bank.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby $nack-Money » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:01 pm

Father, if you're strictly looking to profit, I'm going to save you a lot of time right now... search halves only and search them as much as you can.
$nack-Money
Penny Pincher Member

Postby scyther » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:50 pm

$nack-Money wrote:Father, if you're strictly looking to profit, I'm going to save you a lot of time right now... search halves only and search them as much as you can.

I just got $1,000 in halves from my bank today. They informed me that the halves were already searched before being put into boxes. I searched them just in case. Nothing. I'll be switching back to dimes...
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby $nack-Money » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:58 pm

For the halves, try at least 5K per week orders. Preferably 15-20K (30-40 boxes). 1K way too small a sample size to predict future success.
$nack-Money
Penny Pincher Member

Postby stlouiscoin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:11 pm

as many members on here can attest too, it is in your best interest not to tell them there is anything of value in rolls. many a pickup banks have been ruined by tellers sorting the rolls themselves :thumbup: just make an excuse about needing them for your parish or something like that.
stlouiscoin
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:26 am

Nice--encourage a priest to lie! I'm not even Catholic and I know that's probably not cool! HAHA!
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby smackvay » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:16 pm

rexmerdinus wrote:Nice--encourage a priest to lie! I'm not even Catholic and I know that's probably not cool! HAHA!

LOL post of the day :thumbup:
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby hobo finds » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:56 pm

smackvay wrote:
rexmerdinus wrote:Nice--encourage a priest to lie! I'm not even Catholic and I know that's probably not cool! HAHA!

Yep! :lol: :thumbup:
hobo finds
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby mrrosado » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:31 am

smackvay wrote:

A simple way to handle this is to tell them that it is a private matter or to state that I don't want to talk about it. My local td bank has a policy that prohibits them from roll searching. On the Contrary I hope they keep all the halves they find for me :D

mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:50 am

It's not a lie if you say that they are "for your youth group". That should be enough info to stop the questioning, but yet not enough info to tip them off about searching for silver. And since the proceeds are going to the youth group, what you told them is 100% true. If you say "it's a private matter" or "you don't want to talk about it" then they will get suspicious and either research and figure it out themselves, or somehow use it as an excuse to cut you off. Answers like that can rub them the wrong way and that never helps. Just my opinion on it anyway. Best of luck in your hunt!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby mrrosado » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:34 am

NHsorter wrote:It's not a lie if you say that they are "for your youth group". That should be enough info to stop the questioning, but yet not enough info to tip them off about searching for silver. And since the proceeds are going to the youth group, what you told them is 100% true. If you say "it's a private matter" or "you don't want to talk about it" then they will get suspicious and either research and figure it out themselves, or somehow use it as an excuse to cut you off. Answers like that can rub them the wrong way and that never helps. Just my opinion on it anyway. Best of luck in your hunt!

that works too. So far all I found was one silver nickle from bank roll searching. I might go ask for the $1,000 in halves as suggested. The summer is quite slow as people go on vacation.

mrrosado
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cooyon » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:00 pm

When the tellers ask me why I get so many boxes of pennies and nickels, I tell them I am putting together starter sets to give out at Christmas to get kids interested in coin collecting...never mention silver or any other tells that could upset the applecart. Almost always, they congratulate me for doing that, makes me feel good. Is it the truth? Could be true one day.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals