Silver To Tackle $15-17

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Silver To Tackle $15-17

Postby scyther » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Fusion wrote:You don't think humans are limited in what they can and cannot do? When you are not feeling well, are you limited? If you're away from your computer to trade when the market is moving, are you limited? If you're angry or otherwise emotional, are you limited? It is called evolution, its what humans do. However if you choose to stay in the past, that's your choice. More than half of the market disagrees with you. And I never said I could predict the cost or consequences so that one came from left field. Algos use computer programs to optimize results. Do you not do the same thing when u pick up your cell and make a call, use the remote on your TV, heat something in your microwave, use navigation in your car? I'm not going to argue the merits of a system that is being used millions of times a day. It is what it is. I simply believe that in order to survive, one must evolve. Thank you.

I think his point was that the algorithms are too good, not that they aren't good enough. Although it seems to me that they would just make the free market more efficient by having more information and acting on it more quickly than a human could. But I really don't know.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby inflationhawk » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:41 pm

scyther wrote:
Fusion wrote:You don't think humans are limited in what they can and cannot do? When you are not feeling well, are you limited? If you're away from your computer to trade when the market is moving, are you limited? If you're angry or otherwise emotional, are you limited? It is called evolution, its what humans do. However if you choose to stay in the past, that's your choice. More than half of the market disagrees with you. And I never said I could predict the cost or consequences so that one came from left field. Algos use computer programs to optimize results. Do you not do the same thing when u pick up your cell and make a call, use the remote on your TV, heat something in your microwave, use navigation in your car? I'm not going to argue the merits of a system that is being used millions of times a day. It is what it is. I simply believe that in order to survive, one must evolve. Thank you.

I think his point was that the algorithms are too good, not that they aren't good enough. Although it seems to me that they would just make the free market more efficient by having more information and acting on it more quickly than a human could. But I really don't know.

I think humans can produce amazing algorithms and can probably go far beyond what is even there now. I just don't see the point when all that brain power can be used in much more productive ways. Actually, its not just that I don't see the point, its that there are unintended consequences that will likely happen the farther we go into financial engineering. I don't believe that the incremental gains in efficiency outweigh the negative consequences that could occur from financial engineering. Its a systemic risk management position.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Engineer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:27 pm

I agree on the systemic risk.

You can bet your shorts that there's a building of bright young people who spend their days probing and testing looking for weaknesses to exploit in the markets...building a fatfinger doomsday switch, if you will.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Jonflyfish » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:37 am

Fusion wrote:JFF - as a new member here on RC I have been reading your posts and have enjoyed them. I believe we have some thoughts in common. I am finishing Edward Leshik's book and thought this quote, if I may, could assist in this discussion. It is one of the best books on Algorithmic trading I've read thus far. Please continue to share your thoughts so I can backtest them as some here seem to be doing manually :lol:

“Algos can execute complex math in real time and take the required decisions based on the strategy defined without human intervention and send the trade for execution automatically from the computer to the Exchange. We are no longer limited by human ‘bandwidth.’ A computer can easily trade hundreds of issues simultaneously using advanced algorithms with layers of conditional rules. This capability on its own would be enough to power the growth of algorithmic trading due to cost savings alone.
As the developments in computer technology facilitated the real-time analysis of price movement combined with the introduction of various other technologies, this all culminated in algorithmic trading becoming an absolute must for survival – both for the Buy side and the Sell side and in fact any serious major trader has had to migrate to the use of automated algorithmic trading in order to stay competitive.
A Citigroup report estimates that well over 50% of all USA equity trades are currently handled algorithmically by computers with no or minimal human trader intervention (mid-2009). There is considerable disagreement in the statistics from other sources and the number of automated algorithmic trades may be considerably higher.

Good post, Fusion. This is capitalism at its finest. The markets are a reflection of behavioral finance. Having one express their models in a mechanical process is one of many approaches to the markets. Some of the most successful trades have very infrequent transacting in the markets while others have an incredible amount. What was once nearly impossible to do with statistical modeling and only discussed in classroom theory due to the human bandwidth limitations are now far advanced. I'm amazed at how many of the previously unsolved algorithmic math problems have been resolved with modern computational capabilities. Imagine designing, testing and optimizing a wide body airliner through mathematical modeling and simulation on powerful computer systems that we are capable of now vs slide rule, abacus, clay modeling and endless wind tunnel iterations etc. It's fascinating.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby InfleXion » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:54 am

Jonflyfish wrote:
InfleXion wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:Phase 1 on the doorstep. A crack at $20 looks very likely. Not going to write a 5,000 word essay or debate as to why. No amount of storytelling, arguing, youtube posting (poo in pants/all-time fav movie clips etc) or website links to someone's soliloquies will make the market move one way or the other.
It is what it is.

Cheers!

I would agree it doesn't look good with today's move being a potential tip-off to Monday's action for the insiders. Have you got any reason to believe it will go down other than that?

Hi friend. I only use price. No news or outside influence. Price is the ultimate indicator and that's all I need.
Cheers!

I guess I should have been more pointed. Why do you believe it will go down?
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby InfleXion » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:58 am

Engineer wrote:I agree on the systemic risk.

You can bet your shorts that there's a building of bright young people who spend their days probing and testing looking for weaknesses to exploit in the markets...building a fatfinger doomsday switch, if you will.

There we have it. There is no such thing as 100% secure. When we allow systems to run the markets instead of real buyers and sellers then it is only a matter of time before some blackhat exploits it for personal gain, or worse.
Last edited by InfleXion on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:58 am

inflationhawk wrote:
Fusion wrote:JFF - as a new member here on RC I have been reading your posts and have enjoyed them. I believe we have some thoughts in common. I am finishing Edward Leshik's book and thought this quote, if I may, could assist in this discussion. It is one of the best books on Algorithmic trading I've read thus far. Please continue to share your thoughts so I can backtest them as some here seem to be doing manually :lol:

“Algos can execute complex math in real time and take the required decisions based on the strategy defined without human intervention and send the trade for execution automatically from the computer to the Exchange. We are no longer limited by human ‘bandwidth.’ A computer can easily trade hundreds of issues simultaneously using advanced algorithms with layers of conditional rules. This capability on its own would be enough to power the growth of algorithmic trading due to cost savings alone.
As the developments in computer technology facilitated the real-time analysis of price movement combined with the introduction of various other technologies, this all culminated in algorithmic trading becoming an absolute must for survival – both for the Buy side and the Sell side and in fact any serious major trader has had to migrate to the use of automated algorithmic trading in order to stay competitive.
A Citigroup report estimates that well over 50% of all USA equity trades are currently handled algorithmically by computers with no or minimal human trader intervention (mid-2009). There is considerable disagreement in the statistics from other sources and the number of automated algorithmic trades may be considerably higher.

Fusion, this is a good example of all that is wrong with markets today. Limited by human bandwidth??? This is called gaming the system and is not the intent of the free market capitalist system set up by our forefathers. If this is what evolution and progress brings, are you sure you are ready for the unintended consequences? A profit can be made no doubt, but at what cost? If you think you know the cost and the consequences, please let us know. No one has accurately been able to fully explain the flash crash years later, why do you think that is? Just look at how long it took to even come up with a partial answer for the flash crash.
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:13 am

InfleXion wrote:I guess I should have been more pointed. Why do you believe it will go down?

I don't. What I believe is that the market can and will do anything. I fully accept that. That allows me to be free to keep the hedges on or lift them and use the proceeds to stack more, go long, stay short etc. Because I believe the market can and will do anything, I am free to profit from it. Some try to be right even when wrong. They are married to their position or views with pride and greed.
Simply put, I'm not in it to be right. I'm in it to make money. If the market says reverse one way or the other, I do not hesitate. That's the difference between investors and grandstand newsletter guru's and so called "experts". Successful investors are free to make money by following a disciplined approach instead of having to try and save face from some wild ball rub snake oil predictions gone awry by telling even taller tales.
Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:19 am

InfleXion wrote:
Engineer wrote:I agree on the systemic risk.

There we have it. There is no such thing as 100% secure. When we allow systems to run the markets instead of real buyers and sellers then it is only a matter of time before some blackhat exploits it for personal gain, or worse.

Systems don't run the markets. But some people run systems in the market. Actually, anyone who buys or sells in the market is using some form of a system. All free market capitalism is about personal gain e.g. a coin dealer selling chips of PM's to the next chap. It's not a charity.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:24 am

inflationhawk wrote:
scyther wrote:

I think humans can produce amazing algorithms and can probably go far beyond what is even there now. I just don't see the point when all that brain power can be used in much more productive ways. Actually, its not just that I don't see the point, its that there are unintended consequences that will likely happen the farther we go into financial engineering. I don't believe that the incremental gains in efficiency outweigh the negative consequences that could occur from financial engineering. Its a systemic risk management position.

Some of the greatest advancements in financial engineering have been around risk management.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:32 am

scyther wrote:

Price charts look the same today as they have over hundreds and thousands of years. Sure trade execution times have improved with technology but that hasn't changed where prices ultimately go, nor why. Behavioral finance is the same today as centuries ago. Booms, busts, trends, consolidation are all present for the same reasons.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby InfleXion » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:07 am

Jonflyfish wrote:
InfleXion wrote:I guess I should have been more pointed. Why do you believe it will go down?

I don't. What I believe is that the market can and will do anything. I fully accept that. That allows me to be free to keep the hedges on or lift them and use the proceeds to stack more, go long, stay short etc. Because I believe the market can and will do anything, I am free to profit from it. Some try to be right even when wrong. They are married to their position or views with pride and greed.
Simply put, I'm not in it to be right. I'm in it to make money. If the market says reverse one way or the other, I do not hesitate. That's the difference between investors and grandstand newsletter guru's and so called "experts". Successful investors are free to make money by following a disciplined approach instead of having to try and save face from some wild ball rub snake oil predictions gone awry by telling even taller tales.
Cheers!

If you don't believe it will go down then why did you start a topic saying silver will tackle $15-17? I'm having a hard time understanding what your basis for the thread is. If you don't have any reason to believe the price range you have called out will be reached then why call it out?

InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:14 am

InfleXion wrote:
Jonflyfish wrote:

Cheers!

If you don't believe it will go down then why did you start a topic saying silver will tackle $15-17? I'm having a hard time understanding what your basis for the thread is. If you don't have any reason to believe the price range you have called out will be reached then why call it out?

Because it is very likely to happen (as stated at the beginning of the thread). And that is not the same as believing that it will happen. The nonexistent future is always unknowable.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby InfleXion » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:48 am

Jonflyfish wrote:Because it is very likely to happen (as stated at the beginning of the thread). And that is not the same as believing that it will happen. The nonexistent future is always unknowable.

Cheers!

Why is it very likely to happen?

InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:29 am

Personally I have a feeling by the end of this week many will be in shock by the movements in the PM market.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Engineer » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:30 am

My proprietary weather forecasting system (ARAVE) is calling for 2.3 to 2.4 inches of rain. It doesn't say when or why, or how long it will take that much to fall...but it's calling for 2.3 to 2.4 inches of rain.

I'd explain more, but it would just lead to useless debates.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:03 am

Engineer wrote:My proprietary weather forecasting system (ARAVE) is calling for 2.3 to 2.4 inches of rain. It doesn't say when or why, or how long it will take that much to fall...but it's calling for 2.3 to 2.4 inches of rain.

I'd explain more, but it would just lead to useless debates.

But...but... you could be 100% wrong! What if I'm trying to plan for a wedding and need assurance it will be a bright and sunny day? I could lose a lot of money if it's a large event, guests are invited and expensive meals catered. The grounds where we are considering hosting this event don't have shrubbery surrounding them, so don't ask if they are hedged. :roll: And I'm not asking this because I'm a wedding planner who has a vested interest in sunny weather. So now you say there are dark clouds in the sky? Is rain going to come down or not? People continue to believe that the sun will evaporate water, and there are lots of debates about water running out. So which is it? Personally, I think that posts implying that rain may fall are pointless and a waste of our time, obscure proprietary systems or not. Weather is the final arbiter... and only GOD can predict weather with perfect accuracy, otherwise more speculators would be playing ark futures.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Engineer » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:06 am

I could be 100% wrong.

Chuckles!
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:26 am

Engineer wrote:I could be 100% wrong.

Chuckles!

I hate it when you always end your posts Chuckles. You only seem to post about weather when there has been a dramatic change, and torrential downpours and flooding are no laughing matter. Yet you persist in posting inane weather comments and then signing off Chuckles. Why are you hanging around a penny forum making rainfall predictions?
Last edited by beauanderos on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
beauanderos

Postby slickeast » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:47 am

Ray, your soliloquy is no more than a combination of soliloquies. Even if you are 100% wrong today doesn't mean you can't be 100% right in the future using the same statements. I don't use weather equipment to tell me what the weather is. The weather is the weather regardless of what the instruments are showing. Hedging your property with shrubs ( either short or long shrubs) for a wedding won't help when the rain starts falling.
slickeast

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:27 am

slickeast wrote:Ray, your soliloquy is no more than a combination of soliloquies. Even if you are 100% wrong today doesn't mean you can't be 100% right in the future using the same statements. I don't use weather equipment to tell me what the weather is. The weather is the weather regardless of what the instruments are showing. Hedging your property with shrubs ( either short or long shrubs) for a wedding won't help when the rain starts falling.

But then you're basically saying that people CAN'T make plans based upon the statements of weather forecasters? That's insane! This could ruin entire newscasts and put a lot of forecasters into the unemployment line, if true.

I guess what you're really saying is that those folks on television, who stand up and point this direction and that, using arrows to indicate a developing storm front or a low pressure system building, are nothing but dolts? Don't they realize how ridiculous they appear, gesticulating wildly in front of what we all know is a blue or green screen, and that their every gesture is scripted?

Then I suppose that all we have to do is stick our head out the door and we can see if the sun is shining? Because the climate is whatever weather says it is? The current temperature is completely predictable on a circadian basis, totally irrespective of whether black swans are swimming in the pond.

Rodomontades!
beauanderos

Postby inflationhawk » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:50 am

A rain gauge is the ultimate indicator. If the rain gauge starts filling up, it means its raining. If it stays empty, its not.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:54 am

inflationhawk wrote:A rain gauge is the ultimate indicator. If the rain gauge starts filling up, it means its raining. If it stays empty, its not.

Not necessarily. The rain gauge may have a hole in the bottom. This would show an empty gauge even during a downpour. So again, the weather is the weather regardless of what the instruments indicate.
slickeast

Postby scyther » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:10 pm

Engineer wrote:Chuckles!

:lol:
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Computer Jones » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:53 pm

WOW, now this is a THREAD!

Meanwhile back at the ranch...

I sure hope Ag don't go down that low.
But if it does, I'll still be stacking.

I'm pretty sure my model is:
Buy what you can when you can. Don't sell until it's the last option you got, OR if somebody makes you an offer that's too good to pass. (Everything is negotiable now, isn't it?)
Consarnit! Now I'm complexing up my model (Durn variables!!)...

Might be I should use the kiss principle and just go with the "Caveman Model" -> Shiny good. Me keep!
Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals