Premium history lesson for the newbies (me)

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Premium history lesson for the newbies (me)

Postby aaa30040 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:27 am

What were the typical silver premiums when the silver price was low and stable (say $5-10 and not moving quickly) on ASE, Mapleleafs, 90%US and .9999?
aaa30040
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Premium history lesson for the newbies (me)

Postby 68Cougar » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:44 am

Back then I didn't buy unless I could get it at or under spot which wasn't too hard to do. There just wasn't any real demand.
68Cougar
Penny Sorter Member

Postby scyther » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:45 pm

68Cougar wrote:Back then I didn't buy unless I could get it at or under spot which wasn't too hard to do. There just wasn't any real demand.

That may be true for 90%, but I know ASEs always had a premium. I would assume .999 did too; why sell it under cost of production?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby natsb88 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:54 pm

68Cougar wrote:Back then I didn't buy unless I could get it at or under spot which wasn't too hard to do. There just wasn't any real demand.

Buying second-hand from individuals or maybe a LCS. Not shiny new stuff from mints or bullion dealers. They don't stay in business long selling product under cost...
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Cougar » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:04 pm

Yup second hand art bars and 90%.
68Cougar
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Cougar » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:20 pm

In 01 my first purchase of silver if I remember correctly was 10 ase's at $4-5 spot price and I payed just under $100 shipped so a mint fresh ase would have been nearly double the spot price. Didn't take me long to figure out there were other alternatives.

No that was my second purchase I believe. I think the first was a ase from littleton coin. I should really keep records instead of relying on a failing memory.
68Cougar
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Bluegill » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:44 pm

Speaking just for S.E. MI., back when things were not so volatile.

Government bullion carried a modest premium, The ASE's usually getting the highest. For a brief while ASE's could be had with a $1.75 premium.

U.S. 90% and generics were readily available for spot.

U.S. 40% and Canadian were generally a skosh under spot.

Foreign non-numis were a little under spot.

ASE's buy usually was right around spot.

Buy sell spreads for the junk 90% was 2-2½ X spot. The last time I priced Ag, 8 weeks ago that buy sell spread was 7X.

The buy sell spread for 40% and Cdn was about the same as the 90%, just a little under spot versus at spot.

With foreign Ag, if you wanted to sell, the dealers bent you over the end of the couch...

Now this is at the coin shows that are quite prevalent here. With lots of dealers that operate out of their basement. The B & M were outrageous with their pricing even then.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals