Premiums on Austrialian Monkeys?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Premiums on Austrialian Monkeys?

Postby theo » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:45 pm

I picked up a few Austrialian Sovereigns at an LCS yesterday (one a 2002 Kookaburra and the other a 2004 Monkey) for $24.75 each. The Kookaburras were selling for $30 to $40 on Ebay which was about what I expected. However, I was surprised to find the Monkeys priced at least $70. Are the premiums really that high on Monkeys?
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Premiums on Austrialian Monkeys?

Postby InfleXion » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:23 am

If it's a lunar series 1 monkey you got a screaming deal. $70 is the going rate and these have not followed spot down because they are a collector coin.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:00 pm

Thanks,

It looks exactly like this listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Australian ... 1c340f01dd

It thought all the Monkeys were part of the lunar series.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby InfleXion » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:39 pm

Yeah that's it. Perth isn't the only mint that does a lunar series, and their series 1 go for more than series 2, but there hasn't been a monkey in series 2 yet. I think either China if not Singapore does the flowered lunar coins, which are usually even more expensive and harder to find.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theo » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Great! There is a barely visible smudge behind Elizabeth's neck, but otherwise its in perfect condition. I might sell it on Ebay and flip the profits for more silver.

I bought it from a local chain store well-known to those from Western, PA. Most of their stuff is overpriced. They sell ASEs for $6 over spot and art rounds for a few dollars less. The interesting thing is; they seem to regard everything they don't recognize as an "art round." This is why I'm not totally shocked at getting the Kookaburra and the Monkey for less than $25 each. I picked up a nice looking Libertad the same way last year.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals