Should I buy some Silver Eagles?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Should I buy some Silver Eagles?

Postby scyther » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:25 pm

I've been considering buying a new mint tube of ASEs from Provident. I want to buy a whole tube at a time since I'm paranoid about counterfeits. Should I buy now or wait for premiums to come down? Will low prices last that long?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Should I buy some Silver Eagles?

Postby barrytrot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:26 pm

I spent a bit more than a roll of silver eagles today, so my obvious and money-where-my-mouth-is answer is DEFINITELY BUY :)
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby scyther » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:41 pm

Maybe I will... I just noticed there's a significant discount on Fiji Takus if you buy 20 at a time. The price for one is appreciably higher than an ASE, but if you buy at least 20 it's only like a 30 cent difference. The only problem is that it doesn't say "original mint tube" for the Takus like it does for Eagles, and I want to make sure what I'm buying is minty-fresh...

Do you expect silver to rise in the next couple weeks, or just not fall much more? I know the last time you put your money where your mouth was, it didn't turn out too well. :twisted:
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:55 pm

scyther wrote:Maybe I will... I just noticed there's a significant discount on Fiji Takus if you buy 20 at a time. The price for one is appreciably higher than an ASE, but if you buy at least 20 it's only like a 30 cent difference. The only problem is that it doesn't say "original mint tube" for the Takus like it does for Eagles, and I want to make sure what I'm buying is minty-fresh...

Do you expect silver to rise in the next couple weeks, or just not fall much more? I know the last time you put your money where your mouth was, it didn't turn out too well. :twisted:

I expect nothing other than this is pretty low :) Almost 50% under the $30 where it languished for a year.

I am in and willing to ride it back up if need be :)
barrytrot

Postby fasteddy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:50 pm

I would wait for silver to go under 9 bucks an ounce.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:15 pm

fasteddy wrote:I would wait for silver to go under 9 bucks an ounce.

Good idea assuming it goes under $9. Bad idea if it never does.
barrytrot

Postby theo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:14 pm

If you still believe in silver's long-term potential, yes.

Catching the bottom with a good-sized purchase is certainly something to feel good about but its probably not worth the risk. Besides, I tend to think supplies will increasingly tighten the lower we go. Also, I don't think the next run up will, at all, resemble 2010 - 2011. I believe the price will start gapping upward as a result of some large event (bond dump, comex default, supply disruption. . . etc). One week you'll be deciding whether to pay $480 for a roll of ASEs, the next you'll be restling another guy (probably me :evil: ) for the right to pay $20 for an LCS's last silver war nickel.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby InfleXion » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:17 pm

I think the answer to this question should hinge more upon your comfortability holding silver for the forseeable future than whether you think you will be able to save a couple bucks. If you aren't comfortable enough to hold the position while it's down then you stand to take a loss when you get uncomfortable. If you are comfortable enough then you can hold through the down times (like many of us are doing now) without sweating it, and biding your time until it's the most beneficial for you.

The way I look at it is that this is the cheapest anyone has been able to buy metals in 3 years, and the same price as 5 years ago too, so we've been given the gift of time by the ability to buy for prices from the past. Meanwhile the fundamentals have only gotten stronger.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:19 pm

My Stacking Son Suggested that I go for 10 OZ bars for their low Premium :thumbup:
You should be safe with A MARKS in Plastic :?: from Market Harmony on here or Local coin shop
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:55 pm

Rosco wrote:My Stacking Son Suggested that I go for 10 OZ bars for their low Premium :thumbup:
You should be safe with A MARKS in Plastic :?: from Market Harmony on here or Local coin shop

I've considered the 10 ounce bars too, especially now that they're under $200... But now I really want some takus.

By the way: I heard on a different site that takus are semi-numismatic. Is that true (more so than an ASE or Maple Leaf)? Would they hold some value if silver went lower? I'm guessing not based on the current price, but it does say they're low mintage...
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby fasteddy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:33 am

InfleXion wrote:I think the answer to this question should hinge more upon your comfortability holding silver for the forseeable future than whether you think you will be able to save a couple bucks. If you aren't comfortable enough to hold the position while it's down then you stand to take a loss when you get uncomfortable. If you are comfortable enough then you can hold through the down times (like many of us are doing now) without sweating it, and biding your time until it's the most beneficial for you.

The way I look at it is that this is the cheapest anyone has been able to buy metals in 3 years, and the same price as 5 years ago too, so we've been given the gift of time by the ability to buy for prices from the past. Meanwhile the fundamentals have only gotten stronger.

I am with you on this...buy baby buy...if it goes to 9 bucks...buy more if you can find it....it will cycle on back up unless we get stuck in the 90's again. This big ass dip is lowering my $55 silver cost from two years ago....the buy order is in. If you can't pack it away for a few years you are in the wrong game.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:22 am

scyther wrote:
Rosco wrote:My Stacking Son Suggested that I go for 10 OZ bars for their low Premium :thumbup:

I've considered the 10 ounce bars too, especially now that they're under $200... But now I really want some takus.

By the way: I heard on a different site that takus are semi-numismatic. Is that true (more so than an ASE or Maple Leaf)? Would they hold some value if silver went lower? I'm guessing not based on the current price, but it does say they're low mintage...

The 2010 takus are still going for close to $50 due to low mintage. I was lucky to get some 2011's for cheaper than eagles on APMEX recently which are also low mintage. I am not sure about 2012 and 2013 but I would put these on par with kookaburras or koalas for example. They typically go for a buck extra and there's no guarantee they will appreciate, but they are very popular and should outpace the regular eagles and maples after a couple years of release when a particular year is no longer readily available from the mint, and has to come out of collector hands. Also the 2013 is the first year they changed the design and got rid of the Queen. I think those could have added collectible value for that reason.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:30 am

InfleXion wrote:I think the answer to this question should hinge more upon your comfortability holding silver for the forseeable future than whether you think you will be able to save a couple bucks. If you aren't comfortable enough to hold the position while it's down then you stand to take a loss when you get uncomfortable. If you are comfortable enough then you can hold through the down times (like many of us are doing now) without sweating it, and biding your time until it's the most beneficial for you.

In other words, don't spend your grocery money or rent money on precious metals. Only use funds that you don't need for current expenses. If the price continues to fall, you can still put food on the table without cashing in a less valuable asset.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby xippi » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:30 am

just a note on the Taku's, the 2010-2012 have the Queen on them the 2013 + do not, they have the coat of arms from Fiji.

http://www.providentmetals.com/2013-new ... ilver.html
xippi
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals