Catching a falling Knife

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Catching a falling Knife

Postby Robarons » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Local coin shop had 20 Franc .1867 Roosters for $240 each

I passed

The moral of the story is his bullion is 5% (excluding eagles) on his gold, he doesnt keep any in stock, but he had a random pile today.

Would you have bought some or all at $240 or 5% over?
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Re: Catching a falling Knife

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:59 pm

5% over in this market is not reasonable. I think you'd be lucky to get two percent :?
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Catching a falling Knife

Postby Robarons » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:38 pm

I agree

But most dealers locally deal in margins of 5 to 10% over spot- and the current gold prices dont help either. With sharp corrections to the down side immediate supply is wiped out and premium tend to notch up. Also to point out I am only talking about gold, I think takes longer to adjust to this period especially talking about European Fractionals, etc.

Other than Bullion stacker where I have seen cleaned and damaged coins go for 2-3% over and some bars, where are you seeing gold thats reasonable to spot?

I thought roosters for 5% seemed reasonable
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals