Numi value of Canadian silver dollars?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Numi value of Canadian silver dollars?

Postby scyther » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:50 pm

http://www.providentmetals.com/1958-196 ... llars.html

For some reason, Provident metals is selling AU silver dollars for less than fractional 80%. Is there any potential numismatic value in these? The mintages are lower than American silver dollars. Any chance these will hold value if silver falls more, the way US silver dollars have?
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: Numi value of Canadian silver dollars?

Postby jesse1111 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:02 pm

I don't know about that. I did pick up 10 that came in this week. They had light bad marks and a few light scratches but were as described. I recieved 4 Canoes and 6 1964 commeratives, no loonies.
An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit.
jesse1111
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:09 pm

I'm convinced there's some numismatic value in the Canadian silver bucks. The ones from the mid-1930s are especially appealing, but you'll pay more (and usually much more) than bullion for those unless they're true dogs.

Anyway, I've found a couple of sources locally where I can pick my choice at a melt or near melt price. I go for the commems as they stand the best chance of appreciating beyond their intrinsic value. The 1967 goose dollars are especially popular and I'd go out of my way to keep acquiring a supply of these AU-BU coins. Next is the 1958 and followed by the 1964. Infrequently, you may have an opportunity to buy a 1949 or 1939, so don't pass those up either.

In the "old" days I was able to buy Canadian silver $ at US 3$ each. Might be able to get them now at about 10$ each and I'd buy all I could at that price point. Hope not, but we may reach a point again where the collector value of these and other coins is greater than the bullion value. Again, this represents another ride on the "Way Back Machine," but it's best to be prepared for all scenarios.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby ZenOps » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:30 pm

Numi value for 1963 to 1966 for all Canadian coinage is very low, as Canada produced several plastic pliofilm mint sets. I can readily get MS for just a smidge over spot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_silver_dollar

There are no mintage years 1940, 41, 42, 43, 44. The gaps kind of are a bummer to any completist, and the 1940's are so rare that only a truely dedicated collector would ever have them.
Beaver collector
ZenOps
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals