'Pawn Stars' Co-Star Rick Harrison: Over-Regulation Must End

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

'Pawn Stars' Co-Star Rick Harrison: Over-Regulation Must End

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:44 am

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100852495?__sour ... ar=xfinity

"I'm having a real difficult time right now getting physical metal," he said. "It's the crazy world of gold and silver: Sometimes the paper market is going down but you can't find actual physical items. There's just a shortage of the physical metal. The private mints and the government mints are just behind, and there's a lot of demand for the physical out there."

I found this interesting:

His shop generally pays the spot price for physical gold, Harrison said, but because the market price is below miners' production cost, he doesn't expect to see the price drop much more.

Seeing that other places pay pennies on the dollar, i find this dubious.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: 'Pawn Stars' Co-Star Rick Harrison: Over-Regulation Must

Postby reddirtcoins » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:30 pm

I found it to be lacking. He said he would sell and take a lose now to buy back. He should have done that last year. He missed the boat.
"Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold."- Leo Tolstoy
reddirtcoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Does "Pawn Stars" even have to sell at high margins if they are making good money from their cable TV connection? I never really watched their show, but from what I have read, they are as much about giving viewers what they want to see as TV offers. In other words, do they really depend upon their day to day business to generate the same profit that their TV contract paycheck pays? I think people have gone to their shop to buy and do not get competitive prices on silver. Do people just go to their shop to get a souvenir from them basically?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Robarons » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:15 pm

The minute that place landed a TV Show it lost all pawn shop functions in my opinion. Its a place for tourists to Gawk at, looking at the place they saw on TV.

Some guy bought a 5 gram gold bar there- had the receipt for 'souvenir' too proving he went there. He paid a nasty premium too

Lets not forget this is a just some bub that runs a pawn shop- he doesnt really have any usable knowledge on this topic. I find most pawn shops are hard to deal with and lack knowledge- I feel this guy was the same before a camera was shown on him
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby JerrySpringer » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:33 pm

Robarons wrote:Lets not forget this is a just some bub that runs a pawn shop- he doesnt really have any usable knowledge on this topic. I find most pawn shops are hard to deal with and lack knowledge- I feel this guy was the same before a camera was shown on him

Let's face it, Beanie Babies were once the rage. I can only hope silver goes dormant for a few years in its sexiness and allows us to stack high. If the economy recovers, I think shows like Pawn and Storage Wars and Roadside Recyclables Millionaires,etc. will lose their appeal as people lose the interest of having to fantasize about windfall opportunities. I don't know, is the traveling antique show program still on or have they been sued for low-balling people on the value of their wares?
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:15 am

Robarons wrote:I feel this guy was the same before a camera was shown on him

Gold & Silver Pawn circa 2003.

Gold & Silver Pawn circa Christmas 2008.

The show debuted on July 19, 2009. Accounting for production time, the show "existed" as early as 2008.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Bigsarge » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:41 am

JerrySpringer wrote:Does "Pawn Stars" even have to sell at high margins if they are making good money from their cable TV connection? I never really watched their show, but from what I have read, they are as much about giving viewers what they want to see as TV offers. In other words, do they really depend upon their day to day business to generate the same profit that their TV contract paycheck pays? I think people have gone to their shop to buy and do not get competitive prices on silver. Do people just go to their shop to get a souvenir from them basically?

Robarons wrote:The minute that place landed a TV Show it lost all pawn shop functions in my opinion. Its a place for tourists to Gawk at, looking at the place they saw on TV.

Some guy bought a 5 gram gold bar there- had the receipt for 'souvenir' too proving he went there. He paid a nasty premium too

Enjoy!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pawn-Stars-Old-Man-71st-Birthday-Silver-Round-1-Troy-Ounce-999-Fine-Silver-Coin-/221239163500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3382e1ba6c#ht_3218wt_1161
Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?

Oh, it looks good on you though.
Bigsarge
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals