real time spot price question

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

real time spot price question

Postby Zincanator » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:33 am

Thanks to the insight here and the resulting humble pile of silver I've accumulated, I've become fascinated with checking, then checking again, then checking again... the spot price of silver.

Why is it always several cents different depending on where on the internet you go for a quote (CNBC, online PM retailers, Coinflatioin, Kitco)? Not only price but also direction (up or down).

I'm used to watching US stock averages which are typically the same or very close all day long no matter where online you look.
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Re: real time spot price question

Postby pennypicker » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:19 am

I had the same frustration so months ago I posted a similar question on this board and most replies stated they use Kitco as their site for obtaining the most current spot silver price.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:29 am

The only thing I can think of is that some of these quoting services might be a minute or two behind. Being as little as 10 seconds behind can make a difference in this age of HFT, especially with an asset as erratic as silver.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:21 am

I believe the above from theo is true - I've certainly seen timing differences just on Kitco between what they tabulate numerically vs what they show on their plots, so there is a time lag already at work there. I also believe that during some time periods there are multiple markets open at the same time, each of which might justifiably have slightly different prices. There is also a difference between the offer price (which isn't a real price unless someone accepts the offer and sells) and the sell price. Some of the reporting services might be selecting one or the other of these several numbers, or averaging a couple of them together.

Bottom line is that I don't have a definitive answer for how a specific service arrives at their reported prices, but I understand some of the reasons why they might not be identical. It would be worth finding out and reporting - we would all be interested if you get an answer.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby InfleXion » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:03 pm

Most coin shops I go to will use Kitco pricing, but I have noticed that thebulliondesk.com is almost always a few cents different than Kitco even though they both update in real time. I think it has to do with which exchanges they are using as their source of information.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Jonflyfish » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:15 pm

The challenge of having a non-centralized, fragmented, OTC market for a fungible commodity. COMEX and the London Fix are where Kitco, LCS et al base their prices. There is no true price discovry for them. They piggyback the liquidity then arbitrarily add whatever spread people will tolerate.

Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Zincanator » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:42 pm

Great responses, thanks. I guess they're not THAT far off of each other.

The fact that we're in a speed-of-light trades world makes sense too.

I quoted a few sources as fast as I could just now and here's the deviation:

Kitco $20.14 ask up 0.57
Coinflation $19.97 up 0.55
CNBC - $20.015 up 0.85
provident - $20.06 up 0.63
silvertowne $20.05 up 0.56

Does PM trading ever stop (like how the stock market has a specific open and close time)?
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals