Young People

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Young People

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:49 pm

So... I went over to the local Taco Bell to pick up breakfast, a chicken quesadilla. Paid for it with seven Kennedy halves. When I laid them on the counter she just stared and asked "what are those? Dollars?" Can you believe it? 18 years old and never seen a half dollar? No wonder there's silver turned into the bank by lucky inheritee's :shock:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Young People

Postby moparal7 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:57 pm

Probably can't read either it does say HALF DOLLAR on the coin.
moparal7
Penny Collector Member

Postby Kurr » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:59 pm

Next time use an Ike, Susan B, and a gold dollar coin with a half and maybe throw a $2 note in to boot. Bet you can just see their brains melting. Heck they might even get a manager involved.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby ScottyTX » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:07 pm

Kurr wrote:Next time use an Ike, Susan B, and a gold dollar coin with a half and maybe throw a $2 note in to boot. Bet you can just see their brains melting. Heck they might even get a manager involved.

LOL nice Kurr, the likely response I see when the uneducated see these is immediately think they're valuable/rare.
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rsk1963 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:26 pm

Kurr wrote:Next time use an Ike, Susan B, and a gold dollar coin with a half and maybe throw a $2 note in to boot. Bet you can just see their brains melting. Heck they might even get a manager involved.

My mother recently used a half to pay for something that was .97 cents. She said the person tried to refuse her because "it was not real money." :o
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby rsk1963 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:27 pm

I'd like to see them use a couple 2/3/20 cent pieces and see their brains warp.

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby henrysmedford » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:36 pm

That happened to us seehttp://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=992&hilit=+Spending#p7685. It was fun hearing the manger called over the load speaker.
henrysmedford
Super Post Hoarder

Postby bankmining » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:22 pm

I've had managers called over a number of times at fast food places to verify it's "real" money.
bankmining
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:23 pm

You could almost expect the average twenty-something cashier not having a clue, but bank tellers need to be better trained.

I had one complaining the other day that if the gov't is so broke how can they afford to make gold dollars, and only charge a dollar for them :?

There's a TD University attached to one of my branches...it's just an extended office really, sort of big enough to serve as both a training center for new hires, and continuing ed for everyone else. I asked if the subject of currency & coin is taught. Not much, was the reply. They try to familiarize the tellers with common counterfeit scams, but that's pretty much it.

Most of the people working there were born during the first Gulf War. :|
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby Bluegill » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:18 pm

I use all the coins and bills listed in this thread and have never had an issue. Just the usual dimwits who can't read and have to ask if the half is a dollar. The other question is "is this rare?", or is this valuable?". Seriously, like I would knowingly use a rare, valuable coin or note at face value. But then again, they are probably just relating to the world within their very limited realm of knowledge and common sense.

I have successfully used Panamanian ¼ Balboas as quarters on 3 different occasions. Twice they didn't even bother to pay attention to what it was. The third time I just told the clerk it was Commemorative quarter. It is commemorating the U.S. funding and building of the Panama canal.
Bluegill
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:33 pm

Bluegill wrote:I use all the coins and bills listed in this thread and have never had an issue. Just the usual dimwits who can't read and have to ask if the half is a dollar. The other question is "is this rare?", or is this valuable?". Seriously, like I would knowingly use a rare, valuable coin or note at face value. But then again, they are probably just relating to the world within their very limited realm of knowledge and common sense.

I have successfully used Panamanian ¼ Balboas as quarters on 3 different occasions. Twice they didn't even bother to pay attention to what it was. The third time I just told the clerk it was Commemorative quarter. It is commemorating the U.S. funding and building of the Panama canal.

:clap: :thumbup: :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Panama_Canal interesting read
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby Treetop » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:38 pm

Morsecode wrote:
I had one complaining the other day that if the gov't is so broke how can they afford to make gold dollars, and only charge a dollar for them :?

:lol: :shock: :? :lol:
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RichardPenny43 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:18 pm

I get a laugh when I pay for something that is say $16.xx and give them $22. They can't figure why I gave the two singles, I want a 5 back! :roll:
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby cooyon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:37 pm

I have lost all hope for these high school kids...in our local grocery, my total was $19.01, I put a $20 and a penny on the counter, hoping to get back a FRN since I already had a pocketful of coins...the young cashier happily pushed the penny back to me with a big smile saying "sir, I don't need this, I can take it all out of the $20"...counted out 99 cents in change and handed it to me...the lady behind me in line started laughing, she told me this has happened to her every time she tried it...oh yeah, the cashier had to wait for the register to show how much change to give me, that was the really scary part...none of these kids seem to know how to make change anymore.
cooyon
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Morsecode » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:39 pm

RichardPenny43 wrote:I get a laugh when I pay for something that is say $16.xx and give them $22. They can't figure why I gave the two singles, I want a 5 back! :roll:

That's practically algebra :D
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:02 am

Morsecode wrote:You could almost expect the average twenty-something cashier not having a clue, but bank tellers need to be better trained.

There's a TD University attached to one of my branches...it's just an extended office really, sort of big enough to serve as both a training center for new hires, and continuing ed for everyone else. I asked if the subject of currency & coin is taught. Not much, was the reply. They try to familiarize the tellers with common counterfeit scams, but that's pretty much it.

Most of the people working there were born during the first Gulf War. :|

And to think, they have to go thru excessive vetting via criminal AND financial background checks.

Of course, we then have things happen like Snowden.......
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby LooseChange » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:28 am

cooyon wrote:I have lost all hope for these high school kids...in our local grocery, my total was $19.01, I put a $20 and a penny on the counter, hoping to get back a FRN since I already had a pocketful of coins...the young cashier happily pushed the penny back to me with a big smile saying "sir, I don't need this, I can take it all out of the $20"...counted out 99 cents in change and handed it to me...the lady behind me in line started laughing, she told me this has happened to her every time she tried it...oh yeah, the cashier had to wait for the register to show how much change to give me, that was the really scary part...none of these kids seem to know how to make change anymore.

I worked at the grocery store in high school (bagging and getting carts-glamorous). I watched this happen on a day to day basis :shock:

The real laughs came from me and the customer as we walked to their car together trying to figure out what the cashiers were thinking. Often I helped load up the groceries and take the cart back, I usually got a tip....luckily I accept change. :thumbup:
"You can go if you want, but all they make are coins there"- Quote from the Philidelphia, PA visitors center desk clerk, after inquiring about going on a tour of the MINT
LooseChange
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:45 am

That's funny. I had a manager called at McDonalds when I tried to use 4 halves (amongst some other FRNs). Even the manager wasn't sure (she was probably late 20s). I thought about telling them what they were, but it was more fun just to watch the mayhem.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby InfleXion » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:59 pm

Gosh, I would never spend a half dollar or an Ike or even a Sacajawea dollar. Even though they don't have intrinsic value they're still way cooler than paper. I remember getting Susan B's out of a vending machine when I was a kid and getting excited over it back in the 80's. It's kinda sad kids growing up don't know about any of this stuff but so many have an iPhone with an AI companion and probably know all sorts of other things.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:05 pm

InfleXion wrote:Gosh, I would never spend a half dollar or an Ike or even a Sacajawea dollar. Even though they don't have intrinsic value they're still way cooler than paper.

You apparently don't have stacks of them then.
barrytrot

Postby creshka46 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:28 pm

cooyon wrote:I have lost all hope for these high school kids...in our local grocery, my total was $19.01, I put a $20 and a penny on the counter, hoping to get back a FRN since I already had a pocketful of coins...the young cashier happily pushed the penny back to me with a big smile saying "sir, I don't need this, I can take it all out of the $20"...counted out 99 cents in change and handed it to me...the lady behind me in line started laughing, she told me this has happened to her every time she tried it...oh yeah, the cashier had to wait for the register to show how much change to give me, that was the really scary part...none of these kids seem to know how to make change anymore.

:lol: :roll:

You should have said, "I don't either, that's why I'm giving it to you, now do the math!"
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:26 pm

I had similar happen using a roll of halves to pay for a purchase at the local Byrne Dairy. The kid called the manager over who correctly told the kid they were half dollars. The kid fessed up to having never seen such a thing and promptly gave me back change for $20. I told him, I'd love to take it but made him aware it was only change for $10 and gave a $10 back. Clueless, the kid stood there not knowing what to do. On the way out, I told the manager the kid needed more training.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby InfleXion » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:53 pm

barrytrot wrote:
InfleXion wrote:Gosh, I would never spend a half dollar or an Ike or even a Sacajawea dollar. Even though they don't have intrinsic value they're still way cooler than paper.

You apparently don't have stacks of them then.

This is true, but if it were not my post would still be the same. I have plenty of other stacks I am holding tight :)
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rsk1963 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:27 pm

I actually had an WTF moment :oops: , guy wanted some smaller amount thing. Told him the total, he paid with a complete popped out 1969 mint proof set. :shock:

rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby Zincanator » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:41 am

Unfortunately many of today's technology-saturated youth believe thinking is over-rated because "there's an app for that"...
Zincanator
Penny Pincher Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals