PM Risk

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

PM Risk

Postby Jonflyfish » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:34 pm

Mind your risk.
Cheers!
Jonflyfish
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: PM Risk

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:19 am

Or else you might risk your mind.

Good to hear from you, JFF. Don't be a stranger.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby pennypicker » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:42 am

shinnosuke wrote:Good to hear from you, JFF. Don't be a stranger.

+1
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby theo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:38 am

Silver did not decisively break through $20; the same with gold and 1335. The makes me think that both metals could test (and perhaps even breach) their lows in the next few weeks.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby InfleXion » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:03 pm

Risk is only as relevant as your attachment to what you've got to lose. Give up the love of money and there is no such thing as risk in these markets. If nothing else, it sure makes the buy and hold strategy easier to stick to.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby barrytrot » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:14 pm

InfleXion wrote:Risk is only as relevant as your attachment to what you've got to lose. Give up the love of money and there is no such thing as risk in these markets. If nothing else, it sure makes the buy and hold strategy easier to stick to.

Well even if you just *like* money having less of it is less fun than having more of it.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby InfleXion » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:54 pm

barrytrot wrote:
InfleXion wrote:Risk is only as relevant as your attachment to what you've got to lose. Give up the love of money and there is no such thing as risk in these markets. If nothing else, it sure makes the buy and hold strategy easier to stick to.

Well even if you just *like* money having less of it is less fun than having more of it.

True, and of course not having it can be exceedingly problematic. I guess what I am saying is if you don't love it you won't chase it as much, so less riding on the return, and less likely to be shaken out of your position at a potentially inopportune time.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:21 am

Still falling...thanks Jon for the heads up.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:15 am

A little bit lower every day... still no new low and no dramatic crash... but it seems to be coming.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:13 am

Oops... what's this? A reversal? But... but... no one predicted that! :roll:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:33 am

Someone with clout is cycling the market and siphoning off the physical from the exchanges on the dips. look for exchange failures before end of the year, if not sooner.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby SoFa » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:43 am

beauanderos wrote:
Oops... what's this? A reversal? But... but... no one predicted that! :roll:

Maybe he meant to mind your risk to the upside. Or the risk of trading in a range? We'll have to wait and see.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby scyther » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:51 am

Wow, that's quite a spike! Too bad it's already come half way down, or nearly so. I won't be impressed until it hits 21...
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:57 am

what should impress you is the cycling
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby scyther » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:00 am

68Camaro wrote:what should impress you is the cycling

I don't get it...
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Engineer » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:14 pm

I refuse to be impressed by cycling shorts.
Engineer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:58 pm

Engineer wrote:

Are you sure about that?

beauanderos

Postby slickeast » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Cycling shorts?

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Engineer wrote:

I knew you were teeing up one for Ray with this, and sure enough, he bit. :lol:

Then Peter started a potential landslide. More to come?
68Camaro

Postby CardsNCoins » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:36 pm

68Camaro wrote:.....More to come?

Hope so.
CardsNCoins
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:29 pm

scyther wrote:

I don't get it...

Someone has been cycling the market off and on for a number of years. It was very pronounced in 2011 (and I made some paper money on it) - but during that period they were cycling in periods of 3+ days with amplitudes of $2-$5 or more. They've since succeeded in pushing the price back down from $49 > $19 in waves.

Now they are cycling in hours, with smaller amplitudes (in both absolute as well as percentage terms), and the behavior appears consistent with someone pumping the market down and then harvesting (and I would say they are knocking down the paper price then harvesting physical). I say that with no concrete physical proof whatsoever, but with the majors (JPM, GS, etc) exiting the commodities markets in some sense, combined with record outflow of physical from the exchanges, it is unusual behavior to say the least.

After a previous rise the price gets knocked back down sharply (say 3%), putts along with for a few hours where there is some semi-level give or take trading, then the available supply at that price after that action is sucked up and further buys cause the price to rise almost equally as sharply, in no more than hours, but often in minutes.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:37 pm

I happen to think that the Boyz getting out of the commodities business is merely a ruse to throw the regulatory dogs off the scent. There is any number of ways they could "sell" those trading desks to another entity, using shell corporations... and they still wind up the ones pulling the strings. As far as the bullion banks being long now? So what? They will still slam the prices and then scoop up physical, as others have already alluded to. Price stability is no certainty whether they are long or not, as long as physical supply is yet available. Should that change... then it could be another ballgame. Until then, expect more of the same. The volatility is so great it's almost impossible to trade... I've missed two buy points that would have led to some fast handsome profits. I'll just have to lower my expectations as to the magnitude of the moves and trade within a tighter band.
beauanderos

Postby scyther » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:48 pm

68Camaro wrote:
scyther wrote:

I don't get it...

Someone has been cycling the market off and on for a number of years. It was very pronounced in 2011 (and I made some paper money on it) - but during that period they were cycling in periods of 3+ days with amplitudes of $2-$5 or more. They've since succeeded in pushing the price back down from $49 > $19 in waves.

Now they are cycling in hours, with smaller amplitudes (in both absolute as well as percentage terms), and the behavior appears consistent with someone pumping the market down and then harvesting (and I would say they are knocking down the paper price then harvesting physical). I say that with no concrete physical proof whatsoever, but with the majors (JPM, GS, etc) exiting the commodities markets in some sense, combined with record outflow of physical from the exchanges, it is unusual behavior to say the least.

After a previous rise the price gets knocked back down sharply (say 3%), putts along with for a few hours where there is some semi-level give or take trading, then the available supply at that price after that action is sucked up and further buys cause the price to rise almost equally as sharply, in no more than hours, but often in minutes.

Ok. I'm familiar with that theory, I just wasn't familiar with the term.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals