My very first packages from APMEX & Provident--comparisons!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

My very first packages from APMEX & Provident--comparisons!

Postby pennypicker » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:16 pm

As mentioned in a post last week I spoke as to how I was tired of being charged $2.50 over spot for generic rounds by both LCS's in the Eugene/Springfield, Oregon area. So in that earlier post I asked members their impressions of APMEX out of Oklahoma City since I see them sell on ebay often. Provident Metals out of N. Dallas, Texas also received high praise from board members as well. So last week I placed a (10) one oz generic silver round order from each business to test the waters.
Today I received the second order so here are my impressions of both companies:

APMEX: I placed my order last Monday morning and four hours later I received an email saying my 10 rounds had been shipped and they gave me the tracking#. The shipping cost was $12.95 for orders under $250. Three days after receiving that email the coins arrived in a small box, securely packaged, usps first class mail with delivery confirmation.

Provident: I placed my order last Tuesday morning and Wednesday evening (34 hours later) I received an email saying the 10 rounds had been shipped and they too gave me the tracking#. The shipping cost was just $8.95 (compared to Apmex's $12.95). Three days after receiving that email the coins arrived in a small box as well, securely packaged, usps first class mail (with signature confirmation) as opposed to Apmex's delivery confirmation only. Provident sends all packages valued over $50 with signature confirmation :thumbup: .

Bottom line: the same rounds were each .40 cheaper at Provident and Provident's shipping charges were 1/3 less than APMEX's and even with the cheaper shipping Provident also included Signature Confirmation which is very important to me.
APMEX did ship a full day quicker and both business had very polite and product knowledgeable customer service agents.

All in all I would highly recommend both outfits but I would give Provident a distinct advantage due to their cheaper product & shipping prices and I especially like the fact that they are very concerned with security evidenced by their throwing in signature confirmation even on small orders over $50. Hope this helps anyone else out their looking for quality companies to buy from.
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Re: My very first packages from APMEX & Provident--compariso

Postby beauanderos » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:03 pm

next time order a "generic" $100 face of junk from each and tell us the results :thumbup:

as long as there's more than one (competition) the buyers emerge on the winning end. :D
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Morsecode » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:17 pm

Good post, Don. :thumbup:
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby pennypicker » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:14 pm

beauanderos wrote:next time order a "generic" $100 face of junk from each and tell us the results :thumbup:

Homey doesn't play the "slick" game. I'll just keep it simple and stick to roll fresh generics ;)
"If I had to pick one player to take the last shot to win the game I would pick Michael Jordan...if I had to pick one player to take the last shot to save my life I would pick Larry Bird"--PAT RILEY, L.A. Lakers Head Coach

"I'd rather play against Michael Jordan than Larry Bird...Jordan made you look bad but Bird made you look stupid!"--JAMES WORTHLY, Laker Hall-of-Famer
pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Z00 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:47 pm

Now check out Monarch Precious Metals at 1.00 over spot on their rounds.
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennypicker » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:23 pm

Z00 wrote:Now check out Monarch Precious Metals at 1.00 over spot on their rounds.

Thanks for the suggestion. The silver rounds I purchased from Provident were also .99 over spot and there was no minimum order. Merit has a $1500 minimum purchase requirement to get the .99 cent price. So in that regard I still like Provident better.

pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby NDFarmer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:48 pm

I have made several purchases from Provident and I am very satisfied with the service I have received from them. :thumbup:
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Z00 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:38 pm

pennypicker wrote:
Z00 wrote:Now check out Monarch Precious Metals at 1.00 over spot on their rounds.

Thanks for the suggestion. The silver rounds I purchased from Provident were also .99 over spot and there was no minimum order. Merit has a $1500 minimum purchase requirement to get the .99 cent price. So in that regard I still like Provident better.

Merit?

I said Monarch. No min. and they don't sell unless there is stock and the stock is listed on the site.

http://www.monarchpreciousmetals.com/in ... &Itemid=53
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.” ― Mark Twain

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- opening lines of 101 Things To Do 'Til The Revolution by Claire Wolfe
Z00
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby pennypicker » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:29 pm

Z00 wrote: Merit?
I said Monarch. No min. and they don't sell unless there is stock and the stock is listed on the site.

http://www.monarchpreciousmetals.com/in ... &Itemid=53

Sorry about that. So many bullion companies out there its hard to keep track. Again thanks for the suggestion I will check them out.

pennypicker
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby natsb88 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Feel free to add your reviews to the Realcent Dealer Directory :thumbup:
natsb88

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals