The One That Got Away

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

The One That Got Away

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:03 pm

This is either gonna make you wanna cry, or puke... I can't decide which to do. I went to the bank to pick up my eight boxes of halves (the good news, they were able to order for me and said ten wouldn't be a problem). The BAD news... I'm talking to the kid (ok, so he's 23 or so, still a youngun) and I ask him if he's been searching for me. He says he just has the one 1962 he'd already told me about so I say "I'll give you $10 for it." "Really," he says? I pay him and ask again if he's found anything else ... drum roll (taps playing in background) he says "oh yeah, a guy came in last week with a big bag full of half dollars, I was gonna look thru it but I got busy and didn't have time." I tell him, "oh it was probably just someone else who had searched them and brought back stuff he'd already looked thru." "No," he says, "I asked him and he says they were all old coins that belonged to his grandfather before he passed away. He used to be a coin collector, but I just wanna get the cash for them." Arrrrrrggggggggyhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!! The only consolation is that maybe... just maybe... they are now back in circulation in my area. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Monday Nite Half Time tonight. :cry:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: The One That Got Away

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:47 pm

hope they find their way over to the rodedistrict
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:56 pm

That story brings a tear to my eye. :cry:
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby BamaJoe » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Now that hurts down deep. I feel for you.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby uthminsta » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:24 pm

beauanderos wrote:"they were all old coins that belonged to his grandfather before he passed away. He used to be a coin collector, but I just wanna get the cash for them."

My grandfather is a coin collector. He has plenty of old coins that will be taken to the bank when he passes. He also has many thousands of coins that will NOT be taken to the bank... but still. Just keep telling yourself that they weren't silver. Because they weren't silver. They WEREN'T silver. THEY WEREN'T SILVER!!! :|
uthminsta

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:41 pm

That IS a sad story.....and it serves to underline, just exactly how unknowing most of our youth are....ooooooo, it's gonna be rude awakening for these young'uns..........say Beau, was that you just sniped me now on that roll of BU 1958 Washington's? (lol)
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:51 pm

neilgin1 wrote:That IS a sad story.....and it serves to underline, just exactly how unknowing most of our youth are....ooooooo, it's gonna be rude awakening for these young'uns..........say Beau, was that you just sniped me now on that roll of BU 1958 Washington's? (lol)

You're supposed to be bidding on Franklin proof rolls, not BU quarter rolls :shock:
beauanderos

Postby frugalcanuck » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:04 pm

ouch
"The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled. With something so important, a deeper mystery seems only decent." John Kenneth Galbraith 1975
frugalcanuck
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:57 am

beauanderos wrote:" "No," he says, "I asked him and he says they were all old coins that belonged to his grandfather before he passed away. He used to be a coin collector, but I just wanna get the cash for them." :cry:

Further proof of the dumbing-down of America.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slvrbck » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:08 am

Actually felt viscerally ill after reading that one
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby Joogaler » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:43 am

I still don't understand how anyone could do this. I have an older man that comes into the gas station I work at and he's paid with walking liberty halves and silver dimes! I got his phone number, but haven't been able to call him about them yet because of being short handed at work. I'm definitely going to take some time to give him a call today if he doesn't come in while I'm working. He know's that they're silver, I guess he just doesn't have much of anything left... Sad times fella, sad times...

Visit my E-Store for copper penny bullion!
http://jooglerbullion.ecrater.com/
Joogaler
Penny Collector Member

Postby didou » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:47 am

i feel the pain :(
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:43 pm

Beau,
when the time is appropriate, i'm gonna open the WTSHTF Bank, hence the need for diversified reserves.....i sniped at 267 at 7 seconds, this cat had a 2 second to go snipe at 270...thats why i thought twas you! hope you day is blessed. n.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby scrapper2010 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:55 pm

I guess it's stories like these though that keeps the silver coming in through circulation (and keeps us searching). Just sucks that you had to be so close to getting that bag all to yourself.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:17 pm

neilgin1 wrote:Beau,
when the time is appropriate, i'm gonna open the WTSHTF Bank, hence the need for diversified reserves.....i sniped at 267 at 7 seconds, this cat had a 2 second to go snipe at 270...thats why i thought twas you! hope you day is blessed. n.

It WAS me, now stop it! That cost us $20 more than the lower bidder. I'm really not buying much of anything nowadays, just paying down the credit cards I loaded up at 18X face (zero percent interest for six months, I'm no dummy) so you probably don't need to always bid as high. I will tell you I never bid on proof Franklin rolls, but BU older dates... maybe. And only on dip days when the price hasn't already run up. If you want to beat me in the future, you need to be willing to go at least 1.3X over melt on these items. We should PM each other so we don't get into our own private bidding wars and waste our money. And Scrapper... that's how I console myself... put it back into circulation and I'll find my fair share of it. 8-) The only thing that makes this worse is, if you had this situation occur to you directly (like off Craigslist) you would feel compelled to offer a fair price for the collection (19.5-20X)... but you just know that you'd get it (or some teller) for face value when it's already been dumped like that at the bank. Grrrrhhh. Image
beauanderos

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Beau, normally i would PM this, but i think its crucial for the crew to see how wild dawg's like us engage in cooperative hunting.

you know that is VERY weird, coz even though we dont know each other, i had this feeling, that was you sniping, i looked at the high feedback count, then noticed the 2 second snipe, and wondered. i AM sorry...because i don't NEED to beat you for any roll, or race the bid. That roll, the 58 Washington's, i was idly watching and Ebay felt slow, so i put in a $225 bid, then a back up bid of 245, with a half-a##'ed 267.01 snipe. some piker's came on in the last three min's with a 240 bid....and i thought i was home free. (i'm trying to collect back down in years in the Washington's towards the 55's.)

anyway, you are right, we should coordinate via PM's, if i had known you WANTED that roll, no problem. i just developed a little recent interest in Proof's, but GEM BU's is my regular buy. i usually look on Ebay and stock up "watch" lists once a week.....and i stick to some of the regular dealers, "hsturn" "carrieafl", "goldeneagle", and i watch the reeded edges, i hate dirty 90% rolls, even some of the BU's got musty edges...but i will defintely PM you, we wont repeat that...sorry.

people might ask, "why you sorry?, its business" . When trading, its good manners to coordinate with other traders in a roiling bull market, besides i got a good cache. i really need to use this paper fiat for a good used 4X4 small 6 pick'em up truck, i need a new BCS 13 HP rototiller, model 853, and maybe a Stihl chainsaw, solar panels, etc etc.

Beau, expect PM's in the future, i agree with you, dip days we buy. n.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:42 pm

Neil, try what I did. I emailed several sellers I was buying from and suggested a price more favorable to us both might be arranged in future private transactions. Whenever these guys need cash now, instead of listing and incurring fees, they often email me directly. Saves both of us about five percent. I will PM you one that I think will deal directly with you.
beauanderos

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals