$5 or $50

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

$5 or $50

Poll ended at Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:17 am

$5
51%
$50
49%

Total votes : 65

Re: $5 or $50

Postby messymessy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:45 pm

I voted $5, but then realized that if it only stayed there for a week, there's NO WAY I'd be buying anything at $5. I wouldn't be able to find anyone willing to sell at that price.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:06 pm

$5 gets my vote........stack bricks rather than rounds.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:50 pm

messymessy wrote:I voted $5, but then realized that if it only stayed there for a week, there's NO WAY I'd be buying anything at $5. I wouldn't be able to find anyone willing to sell at that price.

But messy, only you know it's going up in a week. The seller only knows that the bottom dropped out of the price of silver. See...there are great benefits to joining realcent. Are you lurkers paying attention?
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:59 pm

Pretty sure I still have some $5 silver in the hoard. Would like to get a bunch more at that price. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Recyclersteve » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:35 am

I haven't read all the responses yet, but want to share some thoughts. I will refrain from giving my personal opinion or age, because that is not important here.

What would have been quite interesting (but much more complicated to produce) would be to see a poll with ages of the voters included. In other words, someone who is older and retired and heavily into silver already might be more likely to vote for $50, as they may not be able to stomach a collapse to $5. Also, think about trying to explain to your future heirs why silver is a great investment and they just see a senile old person who had a chance to sell for $49 in 2011 only to let it fall to $5.

Someone who is in their 20's or 30's, understands the story behind silver (including the paper vs. physical aspect of silver), and doesn't have much of a stack, might just cherish the opportunity to buy anywhere near $5 an ounce.

This is an incredibly interesting scenario. What if silver took the huge dive and then, all of a sudden, a big industrial user like Ford, Dupont or Apple said they were having a hard time getting enough silver to produce their products and might have to halt production until more could be located? If silver went to $5, lots of mining companies would presumably close mines (in reality, this could happen long before silver went as low as $5/oz. because the miners would presumably be losing money).

Silver mining stocks could be decimated, but then again silver is often a byproduct of other metals such as zinc, copper, lead and gold, so that complicates things even more. Nonetheless, if you owned metals mining stocks on margin, you could be absolutely crushed.

If silver went to $50, there would be those who would remember it getting oh so close to that price in late April, 2011 who would be talking about a double-top pattern and selling and/or shorting silver. There would be others saying we are so close to a breakout to an all-time high that if we hit it, silver will continue to run in a big way and the shorts will be crushed.

I'm sure there are a number of other potential factors that I am not considering here. Nonetheless, what a great question!
Last edited by Recyclersteve on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former stock broker w/ ~20 yrs. at one company. Spoke with 100k+ people and traded a lot (long, short, options, margin, extended hours, etc.).

NOTE: ANY stocks I discuss, no matter how compelling, carry risk- often
substantial. If not prepared to buy it multiple times in modest amounts without going overboard (assuming nothing really wrong with the company), you need to learn more about the market and managing risk. Also, please research covered calls (options) and selling short as well.
Recyclersteve
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Numis Pam » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:42 am

+1RecyclerSteve... and Welcome to RC!!!
Too Busy Sorting and Hoarding to Post Very Often! :-)
Numis Pam
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:07 am

Welcome to the forum RecyclerSteve. Excellent first post! :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:03 am

Recyclersteve wrote:I haven't read all the responses yet, but want to share some thoughts. I will refrain from giving my personal opinion or age, because that is not important here. What would have been quite interesting (but much more complicated to produce) would be to see a poll with ages of the voters included. In other words, someone who is older and retired and heavily into silver already might be more likely to vote for $50, as they may not be able to stomach a collapse to $5. Also, think about trying to explain to your future heirs why silver is a great investment and they just see a senile old person who had a chance to sell for $49 in 2011 only to let it fall to $5. Someone who is in their 20's or 30's, understands the story behind silver (including the paper vs. physical aspect of silver), and doesn't have much of a stack, might just cherish the opportunity to buy anywhere near $5 an ounce. This is an incredibly interesting scenario. What if silver took the huge dive and then, all of a sudden, a big industrial user like Ford, Dupont or Apple said they were having a hard time getting enough silver to produce their products and might have to halt production until more could be located? If silver went to $5, lots of mining companies would presumably close mines (in reality, this could happen long before silver went as low as $5/oz. because the miners would presumably be losing money). Silver mining stocks could be decimated, but then again silver is often a byproduct of other metals such as zinc, copper, lead and gold, so that complicates things even more. Nonetheless, if you owned metals mining stocks on margin, you could be absolutely crushed. If silver went to $50, there would be those who would remember it getting oh so close to that price in late April, 2011 who would be talking about a double-top pattern and selling and/or shorting silver. There would be others saying we are so close to a breakout to an all-time high that if we hit it, silver will continue to run in a big way and the shorts will be crushed. I'm sure there are a number of other potential factors that I am not considering here. Nonetheless, what a great question!

and a great post. Welcome bud! neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:14 pm

Steve, the Recycler, Gosh, I am kind of honored you came out of lurking mode and joined the forum to respond to my poll. You brought up some very good points, most of which I hadn't considered when I started this thread. I hope you'll contribute again and share some more wisdom.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:10 pm

I voted for 50. Not so I could profit from my holdings, but so I can get more. Last time we bought silver was around 34 or so. Obviously it is down alot since then and my wife cut me off. :lol: If it went to 5, I might be cut off FOREVER. If it went to 50, Id be "vindicated" and Id probably get the green light again. My silly wife is convinced we have enough silver. Im not sure thats possible and after the boating accident and the fire we have almost nothing anyway so Im not sure how she comes to this conclusion.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby SoFa » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:57 pm

This reminds me of the commercials where a guy asks three kids "What's better, more or less?" or "What's better, faster or slower?".

I voted for more ($50). But if it only stayed there a week, I don't know how much I would benefit.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:58 pm

don't worry!

Shinn!....sensei GA!!! YOSH!!!

Silver is going to $130......cmon....easy...patience.....and Tree?....give me your number, i'll talk to the wife, set her straight for ya, don't worry. I know just what to say, basically..."sweetheart....we're men, this is man's business, we know what we're doing, I love you, but don't worry your pretty head over this....okay baby?.......now be a love, and make me some meatloaf and mashed potatoes."

handled right?...you're good to go.

what?.....well.....yeh, she divorced me...I know.

truth be told....Neanderthal DNA was found in my blood, what can I say?....nature versus nuture.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby fansubs_ca » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:27 pm

I think my answer would depend on whether I got advance warning to raise cash first.
Can't take advantage of $5 silver unless I actually had some cash to buy more with. ^_-
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:08 am

fansubs_ca wrote:I think my answer would depend on whether I got advance warning to raise cash first.
Can't take advantage of $5 silver unless I actually had some cash to buy more with. ^_-

Now that's not fair. The price change just happens. No advance warning. (Making up the rules as I go along.)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:36 pm

I voted for $50. At $5 the mining industry would collapse. Silver would not be in demand. At $50 the miners would increase production. Silver would be more popular. More people would buy it.... Also, the counterfeiters would ramp up production, too. Counterfeit coins would make the real stuff even more valuable.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:10 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:I voted for $50. At $5 the mining industry would collapse. Silver would not be in demand. At $50 the miners would increase production. Silver would be more popular. More people would buy it.... Also, the counterfeiters would ramp up production, too. Counterfeit coins would make the real stuff even more valuable.

I disagree... I think it would make people afraid to buy it. I know it's scared me away from buying silver that isn't freshly minted.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:08 pm

scyther wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:I voted for $50. At $5 the mining industry would collapse. Silver would not be in demand. At $50 the miners would increase production. Silver would be more popular. More people would buy it.... Also, the counterfeiters would ramp up production, too. Counterfeit coins would make the real stuff even more valuable.

I disagree... I think it would make people afraid to buy it. I know it's scared me away from buying silver that isn't freshly minted.

Of course you disagree! You are a contrarian thru & thru scyther! :lol: :lol: (Now watch, scyther will disagree with me again! :P ) :P :lol:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:05 pm

In as much as gold tracks silver or visa versa, I offer the following for some historical perspective:
24 hr composite.jpg
24 hr composite.jpg (27.27 KiB) Viewed 268 times

So how will this piece of info affect your purchasing patterns? Or is it different this time.

See the article here:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-08-1 ... u-are-here
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rosco » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:53 pm

Voted $5.00 as I hope to stack more soon 8-)
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals