How NOT to mail a roll of bullion.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How NOT to mail a roll of bullion.

Postby SoFa » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:35 pm

I thought I got an absolute steal on a roll of 20 bullion rounds. It was on ebay, the seller had feedback of only 2 (both as purchaser).

I go to the mailbox this afternoon and here's what I found:

envelope.jpg
envelope.jpg (81.56 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

The other side has something illegible stamped on it by the PO, presumably something to the effect of 'hey man, tough luck'.

It's incredibly stupid to put a 20 oz roll in an envelope.
He didn't buy and print the postage at home.
It's possible he used a self service kiosk, but if he went to the counter to purchase postage, I'm surprised they wouldn't suggest a small flat rate box.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Re: How NOT to mail a roll of bullion.

Postby slickeast » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:16 pm

What an idiot!! Why didn't he use a small flat rate BOX?
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby creshka46 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Wow, what a disaster.

What do you do?
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby creshka46 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:41 pm

SoFa wrote:I thought I got an absolute steal...

BTW, apparently someone did... literally
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:42 pm

oh man!...i'm sorry that happened to you....definitely the genesis of a bad day. But you know what to do.

plus a good night of sleep, tomorrow, have some strong black coffee, a short stack of pancakes, start the Ebay "wheels" in motion, and all will be made right.

praying that your heart be comforted. neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:01 pm

All priority mail now has automatic insurance which should cover something like that. I don't know the details though.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Cougar » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:42 pm

Includes up to $50 in insurance coverage for mailpieces with barcodes**

https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail.htm
68Cougar
Penny Sorter Member

Postby johnbrickner » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:04 am

Ouch, I see bad feedback on the guy's horizon.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby SoFa » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:34 pm

johnbrickner wrote:Ouch, I see bad feedback on the guy's horizon.

Maybe not. Depending on how he handles it.
So far, he apologized and said he would do everything he could to fix it.
There's not much he can do besides refund my payment.
He said he would be going to talk to the PO first thing Monday.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby Grimster » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:32 am

If I were you I would start the claim with paypal right away. Once the seller fixes it then you can cancel the claim.
Grimster
Penny Sorter Member

Postby JobIII » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:03 am

Wow this story reminds me of the first 15 items my partner and I mailed when we were just starting out on ebay. Total ameteur hour. Just sucks that the seller is going to have to learn the hard way on a 20 oz sale. Our mistakes only cost about $30... Anyways Sofa here are 2 things your story makes me think about:

1. Open a case now with ebay. It's good that you have already started a dialogue with the seller, but open a case regardless. Ebay/paypal will freeze the sellers asset's. A case does not necessarily end poorly for seller's so don't be reluctant to file one. IF you haven't filed it yet, please stop reading this post and open a case through Ebay now.

2. A little less important, but did the seller pay for signature confirmation? This is required by Ebay on all sales above $250 (ie the total cost = cost + S&H + taxes). I'm not exactly sure how this would help. But if the seller didn't do this step it will be another red flag that ebay will see when assessing whether or not to refund you for the shipping disaster.

Good Luck
~JobIII
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby SoFa » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:57 pm

I just talked with the seller on the phone. He says the lady at the post office counter gave him the envelope when he showed her what he had to mail. That's why he didn't use a flat rate box.

I am going to take the advice and open a case right now. This will be my second open case as I had a registered package from Spain go missing after it entered the US.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby xippi » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:13 pm

JobIII wrote:Wow this story reminds me of the first 15 items my partner and I mailed when we were just starting out on ebay. Total ameteur hour. Just sucks that the seller is going to have to learn the hard way on a 20 oz sale. Our mistakes only cost about $30... Anyways Sofa here are 2 things your story makes me think about:

1. Open a case now with ebay. It's good that you have already started a dialogue with the seller, but open a case regardless. Ebay/paypal will freeze the sellers asset's. A case does not necessarily end poorly for seller's so don't be reluctant to file one. IF you haven't filed it yet, please stop reading this post and open a case through Ebay now.

2. A little less important, but did the seller pay for signature confirmation? This is required by Ebay on all sales above $250 (ie the total cost = cost + S&H + taxes). I'm not exactly sure how this would help. But if the seller didn't do this step it will be another red flag that ebay will see when assessing whether or not to refund you for the shipping disaster.

Good Luck
~JobIII

+1

Just let the seller know that your opening the ebay case if you haven't already. Sorry the Postel clerk handed me a envelope is a poor excuse. I guessing it was not Signature confirmation or you would have refused delivery, I would have.
xippi
Penny Collector Member

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:31 pm

This one is definitely on the seller. If he would have packaged the roll of silver rounds in a flat rate box stuffed with newspaper or packing peanuts and then covered the box with packing tape there is no question about it you WOULD HAVE received your coins!! He didn't even reenforce the envelope he did send. I don't see a piece of tape on it. If he would have covered the envelope with tape you probably would have got the roll of silver you purchased.

Maybe he is new a seller and doesn't have much experience shipping sliver but that is not your fault. It will be an expensive lesson for him to learn but from here on out I bet he will ship silver in a well sealed flat rate box.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:31 pm

You are not allowed to tape all over priority mail envelopes.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby JobIII » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:34 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:You are not allowed to tape all over priority mail envelopes.

This unfortunately depends on the PO you use as well as the type of tape. If it's clear they usually won't mind. If it's the priority USPS tape they may have a problem with the tape covering everything.

~ JobIII
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby NDFarmer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:18 pm

I have done it several times at my post office. I guess each post office has there own rules.
Copper - the "poorman's" precious metal !!
NDFarmer
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Double3 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:42 am

I've actually received a tube of eagles in one of those.
Double3
Penny Collector Member

Postby SoFa » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:16 pm

The seller gave me a very quick refund. I'm very impressed. This was his first sale on ebay, and some people in his shoes would have walked and left it up to ebay to make it good for the buyer.

Like I said earlier, I have a second case on ebay. This one for a missing registered package. The USPS just called me and said they don't know what happened to it and they are closing their investigation. I would have thought they kept track of Registered Mail a little better.
SoFa
Penny Collector Member

Postby natsb88 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Yes you are. As long as the self-adhesive flap is the primary means of enclosure and you do not alter the shape of the package, tape can be used to reinforce the envelope. If your post office tries to tell you otherwise, ask them to show you where in the DMM (domestic mail manual) it says you cannot put tape on a Priority envelope. Because it doesn't (unless they just recently added it).
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby JobIII » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:31 am

I'm happy you were able to get the refund and part ways well enough. I would give serious though to a positive feedback for that seller. The package failed but the seller made good on the problem.

~JobIII
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals