Customer demands Bank buy Silver proofs

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Customer demands Bank buy Silver proofs

Postby Morsecode » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:28 pm

I just missed it today. A manager called me over to her cubicle and showed me 8 of the original 10 silver proof Statehood quarter sets ('05 & '07 were missing). No boxes and none of the cent/nickel/dime/half/dollar proofs.

"Did I do ok on these?", she wanted to know. The customer insisted she be able to cash them in for the $10 face value. The teller wouldn't do it, so it escalated up the chain. The vault teller declined as well. I guess to keep the peace the weekend manager agreed to buy them herself.

"Yeah...you did alright...", I said between clenched teeth. :shock:
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Customer demands Bank buy Silver proofs

Postby rsk1963 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:45 pm

where am I at when these people are around?!!?!?

:sick:
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:54 am

rsk1963 wrote:where am I at when these people are around?!!?!?

:sick:

I was wondering the same thing myself! :roll:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:33 am

you should have offered her $10 apiece
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby rsk1963 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:10 am

I've had the pleasure of having bank tellers tell people who are looking to get rid of stuff at reasonable rates tell them to talk to me... but that free gold piece really got my panties in a knot. I mean John F Kennedy that was insane.
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:15 am

It makes you wonder how much of this really goes on. It seems every branch I hit has a similar story or two or three...and that's just a dozen branches of one particular bank. Apparently, a disproportionate percentage of the populace believe a bank is where you "cash in" coin sets.

Interesting too that the teller was right (in one way) that the coins are not acceptable to exchange while housed in their lucite holders. Had the customer broken them up at home first, then the bank would be obligated to take them.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby scyther » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:20 pm

I thought this was going to be about a customer demanding that the bank order silver proofs for them... the way they order half dollars on request.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:51 pm

Nothing like $1.38/oz!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals