If You Could Own Only One Coin?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

If You Could Own Only One Coin?

Postby Cptindy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:30 am

I woke up this morning thinking of coins. This in itself is not very unusual but I got to thinking. If I had to choose one coin, just one coin, silver or gold, which would it be?

So I ask my dear friends of realcent, if you could hold only one coin for the next ten years, what would you choose and why?

Thanks All!
"It is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting"
"The average man doesn't want to be free. He wants to be safe."
H.L. Mencken
Cptindy
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: If You Could Own Only One Coin?

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:00 am

The sliver Peace dollar that I put in my new years cabage boil for good luck.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby MikeP2020 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:36 am

1933 Gold Double Eagle, the most valuable coin to date, I am intrigued by the history behind this coin and how a handful of these coins made it out of the mint when none were supposed to be released.
MikeP2020
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:39 am

Isle of man 20 Angel
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:18 am

One of the big maple leaf gold coins:

Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Roadrunner » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:01 am

Ahh...MH stole my idea! :)
"The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, says the LORD of hosts." ~Haggai 2:8
Roadrunner
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:16 pm

yeah I was going to say one of those giant maple leaf gold coins to..... Of course I couldnt afford one of those.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:36 pm

Yea I gotta say the 1933 Gold Double Eagle.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cerulean » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:50 pm

1964 Peace Dollar. Then I'd have the only one.
Listening is the linchpin of democracy.
Cerulean
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby jtlee321 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:29 pm

Well since I'm a little late in posting and my first choice was going to be the 1933 Double Eagle and second choice was the 1964 Peace Dollar and I want to hold a different coin than anyone else. My choice of coin will be the 1804 Silver Dollar. I hate having to settle :mrgreen:
jtlee321
Penny Collector Member

Postby jasmatk » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:12 pm

1913 liberty head nickel
-If you face the light you will never see shadows
jasmatk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:17 pm

I am with many others here.

1933 gold double eagle, gem BU condition, that sold in 2002 for $7,590,020.00

For sentimental reasons I would like to have one of the very first dimes minted in the USA in 1796. The story goes that the US had no silver or gold to work with to mint coins. Geoge Washington, and several other Founding Fathers donated their own silverware from their own homes to the cause. Washington and company literally melted down this silverware and ran the machine for the first thousand or so dimes ever made by our country. Yes, I would like to hold one of those.

Same thing with the 1787 Fugio cent. The copper for the 1787 Fugio cent came from our military stores of the time. Much of the copper was actually barrel bands from powder kegs sent to us by France during the Revolution. If you hold a 1787 Fugio, you may be holding the same copper one of our patriots held while in a battle to secure our liberty.

My most cerished coin is a 1798 large copper cent that was made by a broken die. Who held that coin in those early days? Adams? Jefferson? Who knows?
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby rickygee » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:59 pm

Cerulean wrote:1964 Peace Dollar. Then I'd have the only one.

But you CAN have a 1964 Peace Dollar! Interesting overstrike by Daniel Carr of State Quarter fame and the owner of the Moonlight Mint.

http://www.coinzine.net/2010/10/daniel- ... al-to-own/
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals