Does your LCS give silver sell prices on the phone?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Does your LCS give silver sell prices on the phone?

Postby JerrySpringer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:38 pm

Curious, does your LCS give quotes over the phone for their buy and sell prices? There was a time when I would call up one and get one price and then find in person a different price, which was not a culprit of spot fluctuation but more the caprice of premium changes. Since then, not sure if LCS get more protective of quoting prices, especially if they think you are shopping competing deals.
JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Does your LCS give silver sell prices on the phone?

Postby LooseChange » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:03 am

I have one dedicated coin store in the area that gives out prices over the phone all the time. All sell prices quoted are based on Spot + $X.XX and change based on Quantity/Amount purchased. Same for the buy prices only its Spot - $X.XX

They take the spot price from the internet right when you call or right when you walk in the door for quotes. In my experience, the price in person matches with the phone quote based on premiums, only fluctuating based on spot price.
"You can go if you want, but all they make are coins there"- Quote from the Philidelphia, PA visitors center desk clerk, after inquiring about going on a tour of the MINT
LooseChange
Penny Collector Member

Postby nero12345 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:19 am

I buy and sell silver locally through kijiji and have 3 or 4 others guys that buy/sell as well. I call them up every few months and pretend I have some to sell. I haggle a little and it gives an idea of what discount they buy at, and also how much they are asking for a premium to sell. We have no LCS, but i consider this the closest thing. I know one fella runs our only pawn shop.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby marine70 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:39 am

No my LCS does not give quotes on buying because sometimes people dont know what they have. However he will quote his sell prices on certain items excluding the pricey collector coins. He is fair in all his dealings with the public he is close to 80 and is a wealth of knowledge.
marine70
Penny Collector Member

Postby thegus » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:11 pm

almost all the lcs in my area will give a quote qon the phone but it all depends on spot once you're in the store- I always call around though cause premiums are always changing in my area
just keep stacking just keep stacking just keep stacking
thegus

Postby Morsecode » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:18 pm

Yes, and no.

For gold or silver eagles (or similar marked bullion)...yes.

For 90%, no. They have a range of pricing depending on condition. He's one of these, "there's no such thing as junk silver" types. :roll:
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby silverflake » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:44 pm

Big fat nope from my LCS. And he usually sounds angry that I would ask. Needless to say, I don't ask anymore. What's the big deal?
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PeacePeople » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:30 am

silverflake wrote:Big fat nope from my LCS. And he usually sounds angry that I would ask. Needless to say, I don't ask anymore. What's the big deal?

Usually their line of thinking is why give you info to take to somebody else so they can undercut the quote by a nickel and you go to them, or go over their buy quote for the same results. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but the real trick when you get a customer on the phone is to get them into your store, not give them info to cut your knees off.
PeacePeople
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rosco » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:54 am

The one shop will quote over the phone an with your name will hold until you arrive but thats always a crap shoot as the spot could also go down. :shh:

I usually just call to confirm product in stock as its 18 miles to LCS that also requires name to hold when they are short of stock :)

Smallest spread has been on .999 :thumbup:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby scyther » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:29 am

PeacePeople wrote:
silverflake wrote:Big fat nope from my LCS. And he usually sounds angry that I would ask. Needless to say, I don't ask anymore. What's the big deal?

Usually their line of thinking is why give you info to take to somebody else so they can undercut the quote by a nickel and you go to them, or go over their buy quote for the same results. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but the real trick when you get a customer on the phone is to get them into your store, not give them info to cut your knees off.

They have every right to be that way, but it seems like bad business to me. What other type of merchant would do that? Not tell you their prices because you might go somewhere cheaper? It seems childish to me.
267,500 pennies and 186,000 nickels searched. Hand sorter.
10/13/18
scyther
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby InfleXion » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:23 pm

My LCS does answer prices over the phone, and it's a good thing they do because my business is dependent upon not wasting my time.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals