Credit cards

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Credit cards

Postby rexmerdinus » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:39 am

Anyone know if any of the major bullion sellers accept credit cards without an added charge? I've checked out APMEX and Kitco, and I was a "Preservation of Wealth" member for a year, but all of them charge an extra percentage. I seem to remember someone putting together a list of dealers with pros and cons on here somewhere, but I can't find it right now. Thanks!

Jason
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Re: Credit cards

Postby natsb88 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:48 pm

All of the major dealers add a surcharge to use a credit card because they operate on very small margins and the credit card companies take 2% - 3% of the order total, plus other fees. The only places that won't tack on an extra line item charge are smaller dealers geared toward smaller orders (not unlike myself) who factor credit card fees into their overall pricing structure. I think Silvertowne is set up like that. You really aren't going to buy bullion at cash prices with a credit card, unless you get lucky with some eBay auctions.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby rexmerdinus » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:36 pm

I don't mind paying a little extra if it's built into the pricing structure. I just don't like seeing a charge specifically for a credit card fee. It all comes out the same in the end, but it's just a psychological feel good thing :)
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:45 pm

rexmerdinus wrote:I don't mind paying a little extra if it's built into the pricing structure. I just don't like seeing a charge specifically for a credit card fee. It all comes out the same in the end, but it's just a psychological feel good thing :)

Use your credit card as an emergency spending contingency plan if you feel that way. You know up front that the charge is 3%... on days when the market is gutwrenchedly SLAMMED... and drops 5, 6, 7% or more... then call up one of those dealers and USE your credit card to buy, pay it off quickly later when you have the cash.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby tdfxman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:50 am

Ah the days of ebay and Fran and his freagles.
tdfxman

Postby InfleXion » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:33 pm

APMEX has free shipping if you buy from them using eBay, however you want to pay. It is a little overpriced from the get go though, as is their MO.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rosco » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:57 pm

Try Provident You pay more with CC but they only sell what they have in stock

bought for cash with free ship ABOUT $1.10 OVER SPOT
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby everything » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:09 pm

I just bought from MCM, via my paypal, which for some reason decided to bill the credit card :shock: Which I of course hate, would rather just have it whisked out of my checking. Send em a check instead. It seems the surcharge is either shown right on the price credit/wire price, probably comes out to the 2.xx whatever they fork over to the CC companies, or .. they charge you more and just take credit card anyways, believe me .. your not getting out of an added charge by using your credit card. Generally we all just pay 2 percent more at most any store that takes credit.

Another way is to find someone who takes paypal, and have your paypal account bill your credit card.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:07 am

everything wrote:I just bought from MCM, via my paypal, which for some reason decided to bill the credit card :shock: Which I of course hate, would rather just have it whisked out of my checking.

I think the only way to avoid that is to think at least a few days in advance, do an
ACH transfer into PAYPAL then once that transaction has cleared pay from your
PAYPAL balance.

Back when I regularily used PAYPAL and I sold something I'd keep the money in so
I'd have a float for the next time I wanted to buy something with PAYPAL so the
money usually stayed in the system, the only time I'd do an ACH is if my PAYPAL
balance was getting a bit high (over a few hundred dollars) or really low (below $50).

Also the checking account I had attached to PAYPAL was set up specially for that
purpose at a diffent bank than I did my regular banking at. (Limit the damage if
PAYPAL goes haywire.) The attached "credit card" was a VISA Debit card attached
to that same checking account.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals