What is milk spotting?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What is milk spotting?

Postby aaa30040 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:01 pm

And how does it effect value?
aaa30040
Penny Pincher Member

Re: What is milk spotting?

Postby nero12345 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:58 pm

Typically Maples get milk spotting more than others do. I believe I read that it has to do with the cooling process the mint uses before the blanking process.
Myself, I would rather not see the milk spots so yes it may affect the price, but also the liquidity of them compared to others. The great thing about maples is the .9999 investment grade silver or gold that's in them. To get silver to this investment grade it needs a great deal of refining.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby InfleXion » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:13 pm

I forget the name of it, but I think it has to do with the chemicals used to clean the dies leaving residue if not properly rinsed. It doesn't show up until the coin goes into a humid environment (such as the US, but not Canada), like invisible ink. Best to put them into a capsule as soon as you pop the tube. The most non-invasive way to clean milk spots would be soaking them in household ammonia cleaner. If you don't care about grading, jewelry wipes work too but can leave very tiny scratches/scuffs, or you could use a pencil eraser.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby everything » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:05 am

This question has been asked around, nobody really has a good answer, except don't buy them, but go out to the grading services and check the populations, not many maples have been graded so maybe it just does not matter. They hold their value pretty well otherwise, but some people really do not like the milk spots.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby frugi » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:44 pm

lol. i saw the title of the topic and assumed the question was for the spot price for cows milk. one ounce perhaps?
https://pre82.com/
SELLING CENTS ^^
frugi
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:17 pm

I actually dont mind the milk spots so much. Lower premiums on government .999 is nice but also because it is almost like the patina of an older coin. Perhaps Im wrong but I just dont think you could fake it well.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals