How much of a dip does it take?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How much of a dip does it take?

Postby kwebb70 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:25 am

How much of a dip does it take before you buy more than usual....2% 3% 4%.....?
kwebb70
Penny Pincher Member

Re: How much of a dip does it take?

Postby InfleXion » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:45 am

Anytime I see a falling knife I make sure to stick my hand out. This didn't work out as well as I would have liked this summer since it was a bigger knife than I expected, but I just can't resist the ride. I am not sure about percentages, but say a 2 dollar drop in a day sounds about right. $1 moves don't really get my attention anymore in this crazy market.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

If it's printed on a piece of paper it's worth the paper it's printed on.
If it's a digital asset it's worth the electrons in cyberspace.
InfleXion
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Doesn't matter what the price is. I spend the biweekly paycheck on metals on the way down, or on the way up. It all avgs out in the end.

There will come the day that those who are sitting on a keg of dry powder never get a chance to fire a shot because the silver has all dried up. Someday... :shh:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby thegus » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:15 pm

ya fall or climb I'm adding to the stack but it is definitely good to be stacking at these prices
just keep stacking just keep stacking just keep stacking
thegus

Postby CLINT-THE-GREAT » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Just like everyone else posted... I buy no matter what... I guess if it took a $2-3 hit in one day, I would probably buy more, knowing it will probably bounce back up... but like Ray said.. it all averages out

-The Great
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet."
- Abraham Lincoln

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

"Put your money somewhere it won't just dissolve
-Barrytrot
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby silverflake » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:30 pm

Whenever I scrape together a couple hundred bucks I buy. High, low - doesn't matter. Just needs to be shiny.

Keep stacking.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby smackvay » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:31 pm

What everyone else said^^^^^
Keep stacking
WVU fan thru and thru, Just ask i will tell you
smackvay
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby johnbrickner » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Like Ray, Clint, and everyone else, at below $25 I stack. I slowed way down when it went above $35. But rather than a dip %age, it's more of a price level for me that determines my zeal. It was $25, now it's $20. I'll tend to purchase from the big dealers when it gets to $21 for the really cool stuff like Zombucks, 45 cals., etc. to offset the premiums and shipping costs. Currently not paying over $25/Toz for anything.
johnbrickner
Post Hoarder

Postby rexmerdinus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:24 am

Dropped a big amount of my dry powder on some ASE's when it was 26 and falling, so I've been kind of diversifying lately through my gun business. Just bought an undisclosed number of AR lowers to keep in stock for next time there's a gun confiscation scare.
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:57 am

At this point there really isn't a specific drop amount that would trigger annother buy.

Additional income would but not a lower price. (well, unless it got so silly I could buy
junk silver at face, then I'm cashing in every base metal coin I've got to get silver ^_-).
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:19 am

fansubs_ca wrote:At this point there really isn't a specific drop amount that would trigger annother buy.

Additional income would but not a lower price. (well, unless it got so silly I could buy
junk silver at face, then I'm cashing in every base metal coin I've got to get silver ^_-).

+1 - yep, I'm effectively all-in and only new savings can buy more PM, excepting a crazy price drop with physical still available, and it would have to be sufficiently crazy that it would cause me to trade in my hard-earned copper penny hoard for silver.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby everything » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:08 am

We could be in dip land for years as production ramps up all the way into 2017. Primary silver miners are still opening and ramping up production now.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:09 am

everything wrote:We could be in dip land for years as production ramps up all the way into 2017. Primary silver miners are still opening and ramping up production now.

We could be flat for years - it has happened before, but there needs to be an explanation for what happened in the past, and what will happen in the future.

Frankly the flatness of price during the 80s was - in large part - due to the giant supply increase created by global termination of silver use in coin, and the return of millions of tons of that coin into recycle, and end of coin demand, which built up large reserves and kept recycle as a large part of the supply for a couple of decades. Everything I'm reading suggests those reserves are being depleted and that there is very little reserve left. At the same time demand is increasing, not only for industrial use, but investment grade silver demand has replaced the former demand by government mints for circulating coin. For example, total silver production in North America (formerly one of the largest areas of silver supply) is now less that the "casual" demand for bullion grade silver bar and coin from the same area - and that doesn't include industrial demand.

Your statements above are contrary to every bit of data I've seen published in the last several years, so while I don't want to drink perma-bull kool-aid, I also want a contrarian discussion to be fact-based. Where's the data or published article that says that production is ramping up? Everything I read says that total global production is essentially peaked and is on the decline. Where's the data or published articles that says that primary silver miners are still opening up and ramping up production now? While that might be technically factual - I'm sure that someone, somewhere, is opening up a silver mine - the vast majority of ounces mined are secondary production to gold, copper, and lead - and mostly copper and lead. And copper and lead production are in peril, with several of the largest mines shut-down or planning to shut-down. The data suggests we are at or very near peak silver, while at the same time global demand is increasing.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:04 am

The area where my mining claims are in eastern Idaho needs to have a steady $50/oz before the big companies will move in and operate where the old silver diggings are.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby silversurfer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:55 pm

I've personally been waiting for sub $20 silver so I'm ready to purchase more than usual.
silversurfer

Postby everything » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:34 pm

I read it over here, just the other day, interesting read, pretty bullish article really. Another article I was reading, would have to dig it up, said we will be nearing a billion ounces harvested/produced in 2017, which is only 130 million more than this year.

http://www.miningweekly.com/article/sil ... 2013-11-13

And here is where 20 million of it is coming from.

http://www.miningweekly.com/article/tah ... 2013-11-15
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Read the original report. One persons half empty is another's half full, but it looked pretty bullish to me as well in the long term. Mine production is forecast to continue to increase but it is at a diminishing rate and it looks like we could be near a peak. Higher prices will encourage more production but right now they are essentially at break even, and ore yields continue to decline.
68Camaro

Postby everything » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:45 pm

I think we are in the middle of a gold/silver rush that already peaked, and it took a few years for the mining industry to catch up.
I don't see anything bullish/bearish about the industry, right now I see equilibrium, and at $20, silver miners will keep opening shop and crank out silver all day long. Investment demand just gets stronger as silver gets cheaper, and I think that investment demand will also drive miners to produce more and more silver. Investment demand may not relax until they've bought up enough supply to change the big picture. Even during a recession, investment demand for silver goes absolutely ballistic.
everything
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals